Synthetic oil

So I see that a lot of you are running Mobil 1 in your rides. Any particular reason you're choosing Mobil 1 over Castrol, Redline or the other synthetics out there?

It can't be just because of the caps ;) !

ANd what type of service intervals are you following with the synthetic oil as far as changes? Thanks all :cheers: ...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey kami,

Truth be known, all the top grade synthetics are good. I think it's probably just personal preference. I run Mobile One and change at 7,000 miles which is twice the normal 3000 mile industry recommendation.

Hey kami,

Truth be known, all the top grade synthetics are good. I think it's probably just personal preference. I run Mobile One and change at 7,000 miles which is twice the normal 3000 mile industry recommendation.

I totally agree. I think all the synths are good, and I'd bet high-premo dino oil is fine also. I have been running Mobil 1 since the late 70s and have a lot of vehicles past 100k miles. Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, the Quaker stuff, Pennsoil stuff---I'd bet all of these companies with their synthetic brands would give equally strong high mileage service.

In the late 70s, that wasn't the case. Vehicles rarely hit 100k miles without some sort of tear-down maintenance. The early synth oils were the only lubricants that were able to allow a motor to not require a tear-down. I entered the Mobi 1 era due to the television advertisements. New York taxi cabs and police cars had their motors tore down and compared with high-premo dino oil and the wear difference was amazing. Because of that advertisement, I started using Mobil 1.

I really think, though, that today's high-premium dino oil is so much better now that their lubrication abilities, other than for long duration between lube changes, is close to being equal to synth. Just my opinion only.

But, Mobil 1 has been my lube since 1978.

Running at extended intervals is fine with Syn oils, of course, depending on your driving conditions.

The thing that concerns me most, is not the oil, but the filter. Running a filter for that long, could cause the troubles down the road. some Corvette guys change filters 2-3 times between oil changes. I just change every 5k, cheep insurance.

I also use the AC Delco Duragaurd Gold filter. I, much like most of the corvette community, prefer it to the Mobile 1 or K&N filters.

i try to go every 3k on oil and filter changes. but right now i am around 6k on the same change and it has only taken 5 days to acheave those miles so they are not hard miles but i need to change.

i run mobil 1 with k&n filter for a 2000 Z71 because the filter is deeper

Guys, what about oil consupmtion. I seam to go through my Mobil 1 5w-30 pretty quick, a couple quarts between oil changes.

Has anyone else had to add oil in between changes!!!

It is starting to worry me?? :sigh:

Guys, what about oil consupmtion. I seam to go through my Mobil 1 5w-30 pretty quick, a couple quarts between oil changes.

Sounds like you have some kind of issue. That's quite a bit of oil to loose.

Guys, what about oil consupmtion.  I seam to go through my Mobil 1 5w-30 pretty quick, a couple quarts between oil changes. 

Sounds like you have some kind of issue. That's quite a bit of oil to loose.

:withstupid:

Doesn't sound super bad (if you change in 3000 miles, thats a qt in 1500) but definitely sounds like "nip it in the bud" time.

Archived