APE's 408 project SS

m396 #00-011

With the STS in low boost it isn't going to be much difference.  But if your going to leave the STS in low boost why not just get a Radix?  But with 10lbs of boost with the STS how do you tune it?  If it usually makes 5lbs at 3000rpms what if you kick it down into passing gear and get 10lbs of boost at 3000rpms ?  Do you tune it for full boost across the board ?  You'd be pretty rich in some places then, or would you?  If the MAF is still able to read the Air flow you should be ok right ?

:D

Dennis, how does tuning what your new setup will be differ from a STS kit?

Right now there isn't a difference. I'm thinking that a 2 bar map might be the way to go, but I don't know.

I've ridden in a couple LPE TT cars and they ran fine. So it might not be that big of an issue. I'll just have to wait and see, but the higher the boost setting the harder I'm thinking it will be to tune

Ben does the STS kit get the oil from a oil filter adapter?

Ben does the STS kit get the oil from a oil filter adapter?

Taps into the oil cooling block that routes the oil lines to the rad. That thing attached to your block, just above the filter. You tap it and then put in a 1/8NPT fitting, I think.

there will be a difference in tuning depending on how you set up the maf sensor as to whether it's between the turbo and the manifold or it's on the turbo's intake (air cleaner) side.

alcahol injection is the way to fix a high boost application on pump gas to keep it from detonating, but it's not a fix for daily driving. the main idea behind chosing a turbo or supercharger over a nitrous set up is that the power is always there under part throttle and full throttle. having to keep the alcahol filled to get all the power out of it almost defies the point. doing alcahol injection for just going to the track and turning up the boost would be one thing, but from what i've seen and heard the air intake temperatures run high almost anytime it's under boost. mounting an intercooler on it would bring that temp down and not involve any extra work and would make tuning much more consistant.

Zippy,

A progressivly controlled Alky kit is designed to only come on under certain situations. It is controlled by a MAP sensor and a brain and is totally adjustable for turn on and ramp. I can choose my alky kit to come on at any boost level I wish and turn off the same way under city and cruise I can use little or no methanol until I see a predetermined boost level. The STS kits don't over heat the Incomming air if the basic kit is used 5 PSI (as it was designed for) the intercooling ability of the tubing can't keep up with higher boost levels such as 10+ Lbs. there fore the alky kit works. A custom intercooler and tubing etc is going to be easily $800-1000, Methanol is +/-3.00/gal mixed 50/50 with water will last 300 or more miles in the tank I have. An intercooler won't cool the charge like alky will so I can run more boost safely with alky. Don't get me wrong the intercooler works and if the kit came with one I would have one but it doesn't so I went with meth/alky instead. STS may look at intercooling in the future, intercooler with alky now that would work well

Jonathan

Archived