APE's 408 project SS

m396 #00-011

500+hp to the wheels would be awesome. :smash:

In case you guys didn't catch MN C5's posting, his 408 got 515hp / 508tq with just motor. The Radix added about 110 to both numbers. These are engine dyno numbers.

In case you guys didn't catch MN C5's posting, his 408 got 515hp / 508tq with just motor. The Radix added about 110 to both numbers. These are engine dyno numbers.

Those numbers sound about right.

That's fantastic.

It had belt slipping issues and some other tuning problems or the #'s could have been better. I think those #s were at 5psi. And being that I wasn't going to be running the Radix we didn't spend much time trying to dial it in.

The Radix is a great kit. With headers, tune and a small pulley I don't think anything else will come close for everyday use.

The STS kits look nice but I'm on the fence about how the day to day driveablity is going to be with boost exceeding the 5psi range.

from what i have seen, the STS kit needs alot of fine tuning and deffinitly an intercooler. air intake temperatures climb very quickly on them.

I'm interested in see how people tune them. As boost can vary by alot at different rpms. The radix and other belt driven SC's are much easier to tune because the boost is rpm related and in the case of the radix your at full boost right away.

With the STS in low boost it isn't going to be much difference. But if your going to leave the STS in low boost why not just get a Radix? But with 10lbs of boost with the STS how do you tune it? If it usually makes 5lbs at 3000rpms what if you kick it down into passing gear and get 10lbs of boost at 3000rpms ? Do you tune it for full boost across the board ? You'd be pretty rich in some places then, or would you? If the MAF is still able to read the Air flow you should be ok right ?

:D

from what i have seen, the STS kit needs alot of fine tuning and deffinitly an intercooler. air intake temperatures climb very quickly on them.

The STS kit doesn't need an intercooler just alky-injection much less work and no boost loss through the use of the intercooler. Can cool intake temps by 100 degrees with methanol, much better than intercooler...

Jonathan

With the STS in low boost it isn't going to be much difference. But if your going to leave the STS in low boost why not just get a Radix? But with 10lbs of boost with the STS how do you tune it? If it usually makes 5lbs at 3000rpms what if you kick it down into passing gear and get 10lbs of boost at 3000rpms ? Do you tune it for full boost across the board ? You'd be pretty rich in some places then, or would you? If the MAF is still able to read the Air flow you should be ok right ?

:D

Dennis, how does tuning what your new setup will be differ from a STS kit?

alcahol injection is the way to fix a high boost application on pump gas to keep it from detonating, but it's not a fix for daily driving. the main idea behind chosing a turbo or supercharger over a nitrous set up is that the power is always there under part throttle and full throttle. having to keep the alcahol filled to get all the power out of it almost defies the point. doing alcahol injection for just going to the track and turning up the boost would be one thing, but from what i've seen and heard the air intake temperatures run high almost anytime it's under boost. mounting an intercooler on it would bring that temp down and not involve any extra work and would make tuning much more consistant.

Archived