Zachm89 At Dallas Raceway

misterp

(edit - I just got corrected by my fiance, Zach's fastest run of the day was 12.30!)

-----------------

Yesterday was just beautiful and the track was almost deserted - you could drive right up to the starting line the entire 6-hours it was open, the staging lane was never more than 1-row deep and there were no breakdowns either; everyone got the most of their racing dollar yesterday! Honestly I was bummed that my own truck is still in no shape to make passes :sad: because this was just a *gorgeous* day to have one of the finest 1/4-m tracks virtually to ourselves.

We arrived at Dallas Raceway to view a lone Arrival Blue Silverado SS docked at the edge of a sea of Cobalt SS's. :happysad:

_DSC1413-wr.jpg

Say hi to Zach. :dbanana: Zach had a great day, before we got there he'd already run a handful of mid-12 second passes and put half of the CobaltSS and Mustang GT crowd into a minor depression... a few of them just couldn't rationalize what they were witnessing, how something that big, that blue, could run that fast! LOL The 2010 Mustang GT parked alongside Zach was a fountain of drama :greddy: his Mustang ran several tenths slower than Zach's SSS and this guy took it especially hard that his shiny new pony car could not outrun the truck, he spent the rest of the day being a punk and flogging the piss out of that poor car trying to turn-in a better time than Zach. Seriously I bet he used over 1/2-tank of gas in the effort! :shakehead: Anyways, after a few hours of impressing the crowd with regular mid-12 second runs and giving next-door-pit-neighbor-Stang-boy the false idea that he could run head-to-head with the truck, Zach decided to get serious and got to swapping wheels and unbolting the cutout:

_DSC1417-wr.jpg

The family that races together stays together?! Video of Zach racing his girlfriends's dad, Collier: Collier is a super-cool guy (we talked quite a bit), he drove this '92 Camaro RS in which he has swapped a LS drivetrain - the car has a LQ4 with L92 heads, aftermarket VVT cam, L99 intake/injectors/fuel rail, crappy shorty headers, E38 (Gen-IV) ECM, and T56 transmission. :driving: Collier told me it's very much still a work in progress, the speedo and tach are still non-op, the clutch needs debugging, and he's got a set of Stainless Works 2-inch :eek: longtube headers awaiting install! I was kinda jealous of Zach, because in all my years I've never drag-raced against my girlfriend's dad, let alone smoked him! :jester: Zach's truck ran 12.34 @ 106.9-mph, not bad for a Procharger P1 during the peak heat of the day! :thumbs: :thumbs: (click picture to view)

1-Zachm89_Collier.jpg

Zach let the truck cool for about 45-minutes, and ran almost an identical pass, 12.35 @ 106.9-mph. :driving:

2-zachm89.jpg

The "real world test runs" - the track allowed Zach's girlfriend to ride shotgun towards the end of the day, the sun was going down and they were making back-to-back passes on a hot motor; even under those conditions the truck only lost 3-tenths (12.66) and I am sure Zach and his girlfriend are still debating exactly how much of that extra 3-tenths was 'heat soak' versus 'passenger' j/k LOL. By coincidence the final run of the night was against the wannabe-reaity-TV-drama Mustang GT, who took some initial wheelspin at the starting line as a reason to p**y-out the rest of this run, and then drive like an ass the rest of the evening in the pit area. :rolleyes:

3-zachm89.jpg

So congrats to Zach on his best performance to date (12.30 @ 106.9-mph) :cheers: I'm sure he'll post-up some timeslips, and the mods can move him up the fastest truck list!

I can't wait for KC. I have so much to do to get my truck ready. :ughdance: But I'm inspired!

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn Steve, thanks for taking the time to post all of this! Glad you and Michelle were able to make it out yesterday, it really sucked that you couldn't bring the truck. I was very happy with the results from the wheel and tire change, can't beat dropping 2 tenths by just throwing on some lighter wheels.

nice runs , it almost looks like there is a passenger in the 2nd pic.

Not in that pic, but tech inspection was - well it felt like being at the Redneck Nationals, if you get what I'm sayin. :jester: Nobody in a street-registered car was required to wear a helmet, regardless of ET or MPH. A few folks were making tandem (passenger ride-a-long) passes all day long, not even solo but lined-up against regular bracket cars (there are a couple tracks that will allow ride-a-longs if you are the only vehicle on the track and the other lane is empty). Collier ('92 white Camaro) told me that the tech inpsector never approached closer than 20-ft to his car, and then instructed him to shoe-polish his own number on the passenger window and "write 15.5 on the rear window". :laugh: There were a couple Vette's there running very low 11's all day long (no cage).

We had fun. :driving:

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

what did that badass black cobalt run?

Hmmm well I don't have proof on video, but as memory serves it ran a ZERO @ 0-mph LOL. :jester: S. never ran that car, it was the designated pit car, everyone was using it for storage!