Wat Transmission?

I am curios to wat transmission I have in my truck. Is it the 4l60e the 65e or the 80e? I really hope that GM was smarter than to put the wimpy 60e behind and lq9 but wouldn't be the first time

yup its the wimpy one... LMAO

FYI 60 and 65 are basically the same other than a few hard part updates.

I have seen 2006 trucks with a 60E and 03 trucks with a 65E just more of GMs stupid crap they do.

Look in your glove box at your RPO codes

M32 = 65E

M30 = 60E

80Es were not an option for the SS/VHO 03-06 but definitely swapable with some wiring harnesses and tuning.

those RPO codes are not always true.... RPO code in a 05 silverado said M32 and guess what it had 4 pinion planets in it.

I have to disagree with you on that. M32 is always a 4L65E. That doesn't mean that's what is in the truck. All LQ9 trucks came with a 4L65E or 4L70E. If you have ran accross them that didn't it's either from having been changed or built with the wrong unit from GM. When I worked for the dealer in Michigan we had a Vortec Max come in that should have had a 4L70E in it and it was a 4L60E. Another dealer on record had replaced the transmission under warrenty and put in the 4L60E. I'd assume either they had it in stock or there was a back order on the 70E when that happened. When we pulled up the part number for the trans they had installed it was for the same year M30 (4L60E). The 65E and 70E were quite often on back order and constantly caused problems with the TBSS guys for the most part.

I have to disagree with you on that. M32 is always a 4L65E. That doesn't mean that's what is in the truck. All LQ9 trucks came with a 4L65E or 4L70E. If you have ran accross them that didn't it's either from having been changed or built with the wrong unit from GM. When I worked for the dealer in Michigan we had a Vortec Max come in that should have had a 4L70E in it and it was a 4L60E. Another dealer on record had replaced the transmission under warrenty and put in the 4L60E. I'd assume either they had it in stock or there was a back order on the 70E when that happened. When we pulled up the part number for the trans they had installed it was for the same year M30 (4L60E). The 65E and 70E were quite often on back order and constantly caused problems with the TBSS guys for the most part.

Johnnys SS (lethal) truck was a factory installed 60e in a 03. Steve (Mr. P) truck is also a 03 and had the 60e and he can even verify that. Both of which were factory installed transmissions from new off the showroom floor. Brobrads 06 ISS truck was a M32 rpo code and only had some of the 65e updates and he bought his truck brand spankin new. It doesn't matter if we agree or not on this subject... my eyeballs don't lie. No offense here Mike, but I can tell you that my father has pulled apart more 4L60/65 transmissions than anyone one this board. You have to understand my father runs a manufactoring plant that pulls apart and remanufactures over 25 60/65s a day. 5 days a week so do the math....This month they will remanufacture over 500 units..

Edited by Sprayed99 (see edit history)

Well just checked the codes and it is the 65e. How much better is it compared to.a 60e?

same problems...

weak 3/4, weak input and output shafts, weak input drum, weak reaction shell....the list goes on and on, but as Zippy said many have ran them hard for over 100K without issues.

Lethal's truck was not likely on it's first teardown when you got your hands on it going by his history with transmissions. As far as I know your dad did it first around late 07' and the truck is an 03'. If I recall it had been apart before that a few times to top it off. Mr. P's transmission was never even cracked open as far as I know of when he shipped it to the useless Joe at Jag who kindly built him a piece of crap like many others and charged him for parts he didn't put in. He billed him for the 5 pinion upgrade which he already had and the torque drive kit which from him was only a sunshell upgrade. When Steve tore his trans down after the Jag trans failed it had 5 pinion planets in it. Honestly though I'd doubt Steve even recieved the trans back from them that he sent them considering Joe isn't someone you can trust and the servo problem Steve had commonly ruins the case anyway. I'm not offended. I am impressed that a shop can remove and install 25 60/65's a day and even more verify that the vin or rpo list show's Mxx and even more show's that it's all original. My information comes from directly working on these vehicles and having the information as to whether or not the vehicle is completely unmolested. This is the point. I've never torn down an SSS trans from an unmolested truck that wasn't all 65E. Not even one time.