Header And Exhaust Install W. Tune

NoLimit

First off I just got my pacesetter lt's and the header back system from Zach a local guy on here. I was going to install my self mostly to say I did that, lol. Also because I like doing stuff like that for the experience and learning factor as well. However I called a local Muffler shop very highly recommended in my area. they quoted me $130.00 to do the whole deal headers and exhaust!. So I am going there this afternoon. Now my question is I may be dropping my truck off this afternoon however I don't have tuned PCM in hand yet. Mostly I will just need to driver 25-30 miles to get the truck home then park it till my PCM comes back in. Is this safe everyone I have asked are saying I need a tune which is no problem I obviously want one and need one but will I risk any chance of messing anything up on the truck after exhaust install with the PCM tuned yet? There would be no CAT's on this system if that helps. Any questions please ask as I am leaving in about 1.5 hr-2hrs. to take the truck to the muffler shop and make sure there quote over the phone was correct and check and see what they think. Thanks guys!

First off I just got my pacesetter lt's and the header back system from Zach a local guy on here. I was going to install my self mostly to say I did that, lol. Also because I like doing stuff like that for the experience and learning factor as well. However I called a local Muffler shop very highly recommended in my area. they quoted me $130.00 to do the whole deal headers and exhaust!. So I am going there this afternoon. Now my question is I may be dropping my truck off this afternoon however I don't have tuned PCM in hand yet. Mostly I will just need to driver 25-30 miles to get the truck home then park it till my PCM comes back in. Is this safe everyone I have asked are saying I need a tune which is no problem I obviously want one and need one but will I risk any chance of messing anything up on the truck after exhaust install with the PCM tuned yet? There would be no CAT's on this system if that helps. Any questions please ask as I am leaving in about 1.5 hr-2hrs. to take the truck to the muffler shop and make sure there quote over the phone was correct and check and see what they think. Thanks guys!

you will be fine to drive it home

The only issue you will see is the dash light come on because the cats have been removed - the truck will run exactly the same (this will be corrected in your new PCM tune).

I am sure you will like the exhaust, Zach did a fantastic job - it's the best Pacesetter setup I've ever seen.

Mr. P. :)

I am waiting PM return for Zippy to tune me. Price cant be beat from what I have seen also he was highly recommended from others. Thanks guys for the info I figured as much just wanted to be sure! thumb.gif

:thumbs: Your good!

Back from the Exhaust shop. Now they don't want to do my header job. LOL They did point me in the direction of another shop however his header charge is $150 just for the headers so I am thinking now I must do her myself. I'm deff up for the job no question about that but have never done it so my question to my fellows here all I really need to know is the header bolts how tight or I guess what is the torque setting for them? removing everything shouldn't be a problem and once I have the headers in I should be rolling from there. I have looked into how-to's on this without much luck no video no big details just came across guys with slight complications asking questions. So again as usual any help would be great I guess I will start tearing her down this weekend.

soak the bolts on the collector flanges and mid pipes down with some pb blaster or some sort of penetrating oil. some say to spray down the header bolts as well, some say not to...i did on mine and everything came off smoothly. plugs and wires need to be removed, as well as the oil dipstick tube...youll see its bolted to the side of the block, just unbolt and pull upwards on it to get it out of the block, just dont yank the shit out of it. on reinstall, tighten the header bolts down snug but dont over tighten, put the truck through 1-2 heat cycles then go back over all the bolts to make sure theyre still tight. theres a couple other small things i can think of youre going to have to do so just give me a shout and i can walk you through them :thumbs:

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)

soak the bolts on the collector flanges and mid pipes down with some pb blaster or some sort of penetrating oil. some say to spray down the header bolts as well, some say not to...i did on mine and everything came off smoothly. plugs and wires need to be removed, as well as the oil dipstick tube...youll see its bolted to the side of the block, just unbolt and pull upwards on it to get it out of the block, just dont yank the shit out of it. on reinstall, tighten the header bolts down snug but dont over tighten, put the truck through 1-2 heat cycles then go back over all the bolts to make sure theyre still tight. theres a couple other small things i can think of youre going to have to do so just give me a shout and i can walk you through them :thumbs:

Hell ya man that deffinately helps! Since I am doing this myself Im getting the clamps now and the plug for the pipe we talked about, I will save a little bit of money. When looking at the clamps I'm gettign I noticed the MSD 8.5 Plugs, are they worth the money? If it is worth it, is it a must to get a new round of plugs as well? I just figured if I'm removing the old one's and if the MSD were worth it why not. They are red too! lol. I think you pretty much broke everything down for me. I think there was just one thing on one of the headers that sticks out off one of the pipes that I dont think is on the factory manifold and wasnt sure what needed to be done with that. I think there is a gasket and a cover peice for like if it wont be needed/used. From what seen maybe somethign for EGR? Well thanks again for the help it has been real nice! I am ready for sat night and sun to start getting into this.

Yeah, that's for an egr hook up. Just cap it off withthe supplied hardware. As for plugs and wires it can't hurt. The msd 8.5 wires are what a lot of guys run and for plugs I'd go with the NGK TR55 plugs. If you have the money go ahead and get the iridium plugs as they will burn a bit hotter and last longer, if not just the regular tr55s will work just fine. With your mileage plugs and wires aren't completely necessary but they can't hurt.

Wow, never thought I'd see the day Zach was handing out tech tips, but good info, however, DON'T guess on torque specs, that's not a good move :idiot:

Exhaust Manifold Bolts (First Pass)..............................................................11 lb ft

<LI>Exhaust Manifold Bolts (Final Pass).............................................................18 lb ft

Edited by hottelsss (see edit history)

ive never torqued a header bolt and to this date have never had a problem...not the easiest thing to get a torque wrench on some of those bolts John boy banghead.gif my torque wrench for the lighter rating stuff like that is my hand....but for you, it doesnt work out so well with a limp wrist greddy.gifhaha, JFWY!