My SS vs. HD F150

jwest1975

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess the SS is OK if you want something that is smaller inside, slower, and costs more.

Has room/seating for 5 people, has a bigger pay load, will tow more, and will haul ass in the snow too..... :lol::thumbs:

Justin :chevy:

The F150 Fresher looking,hahahahahahaha.That truck has looked like a tin box on 4 wheels since it came out.

"Smaller inside".Ford extra cabs are the most uncomfortable mother f$%*ers I have ever ridden in.Theres no leg room and the seat is to close to the floor.And im talking about the back seat by the way,the front aint much better.

Slower,show me a regular F150,not a L or a H-D beat a SS,they cant even beat a regular halfton Silverado.

Costs more,yeah maybe the SS but I have looked at the stickers on a few 03 F150's,there just as much or more then a Silverado.Never seen one equally equiped and cost less.

And yes im being a smartass because all you said was F150,nothing about an L or H-D.

They might sell more F150's in a year then Chevy sell's Silverados,but the Silverado is way superior over the F150 in just about everything.

Mervz why did you edit him? All he did is state fact. Maybe it's fact you don't want getting out?

I have seen posts get by way worse than what he posted(aimed at Ford owners), or is it because he is a ford owner? I see, censorship by omission, only let pro-SS propiganda get posted.

In my opinion purely.....

Anyone, especially with very few posts, that comes to a board to use the words "redneck" and "loser" to insult people even if in general terms does not need to be here. That is not a very good way for some one new here to earn the respect of others.

I started this thread as a simple friendly comparison between two nice trucks. I said from the start that this post was NOT intended to provoke another argument/discussion over which one is better. (Ford or Chevy)

I only see this thread getting worse.....

MERVZ: if you feel the same way, please lock this thread!

Justin :chevy:

Justin, I understand you didn't want this tread to turn ugly, but it was the SS owners that started taking shots at the Harley and then their owners with the stereotyping and negative comments on the Harley truck. Then it is the Ford owner that is edited for his comment, when it was the SS fans that provked him with comments just as negative if not worse than his.

Some people get upset sooo easily. I'm best friends with a dude who will drive nothing but Fords and I'm pretty much in to what Chevrolet offers. Talking #*%! is always part of the fun. But in the end we can always compliment something on each other's rides. Ford vs. Chevy will never end. Gotta love it!!! :thumbs:

I support Mervz's decision to edit fepony's post.

Although I'm new at this forum, I have been active at gm-trucks.com for a while. I did not see what fepony said before his post was edited, but It seems to me that when someone who is new to a forum immediately starts bashing the vehicle that the forum is about. They are only there to stir up trouble.

Just a reminder: Not all H-D owners drive ford products. Several of my relatives own H-Ds and none of them drive fords. I'm going to be on that list soon, as I hope to buy a used H-D Electra Glide with the Peace Officer Special Package 2-tone blue by mid summer. My version of a Harley-Davidson edition truck is my 96 which is black with the chrome apperance package( see my sig for details ). I am planning on swapping out the v6 for a 454 this summer :D

We switched from ford to GM in the late 80s after we were $crewed by ford twice in a row. :fume: And I can say without a doubt, that our GM experience has been far better than anything with ford.

Heres a comparison between the 2003 H-D f150 and a 2003 extended cab silverado ( not an SS )

Sorry for all the periods, but I could not make the messsage board software recognize the spaces.

Dimensions - Exterior

2003 Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 2WD LS Short Box

2003 Ford Truck F-150 SuperCrew 4x2 139-in. WB Harley-Davidson Styleside

................................................Chevrolet.............Ford

Length (inches).........................227.7..................225.9

Width (inches)...........................78.5....................79.1

Wheelbase (inches)..................143.5..................138.5

Height (inches)..........................71.2....................Not Listed

Ground Clearance (inches).........8.0.....................Not Listed

Curb Weight Automatic (lbs)......4510...................Not Listed

Curb Weight Manual (lbs)........Not Applicable......Not Applicable

Box/Cargo Length (inches).......78.7....................67.2

Box/Cargo Height (inches)........19.5....................20.2

Box/Cargo Width Between Wheelhouses 50.0".........50.0"

Dimensions - Interior

2003 Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 2WD LS Short Box

2003 Ford Truck F-150 SuperCrew 4x2 139-in. WB Harley-Davidson Styleside

..................................................Chevrolet.............Ford

Front Head Room (inches)............41.0...................39.8

Rear Head Room (inches).............38.4...................39.8

Front Leg Room (inches)...............41.3...................41.0

Rear Leg Room (inches)................33.7...................36.8

Front Shoulder Room (inches).......65.2...................63.7

Rear Shoulder Room (inches)........66.3...................63.6

Front Hip Room (inches)................61.4...................59.8

Rear Hip Room (inches).................61.5...................58.0

Standard Seating..........................6........................4

Optional Seating...........................5........................4

Note that this is a Chevrolet Extended Cab vs a ford Crew Cab.

Data supplied from AIC autosite.

The F-150 is a much older design, and it still looks fresher. I guess the SS is OK if you want something that is smaller inside, slower, and costs more.

As the above stats show. There is almost NO difference in size between the chevy extended cab, and the ford crew cab, other than the Chevy being a couple of inches longer. The advertised HP for the F-150 H-D edition is 340. The SS is 345. And the SS weighs less.

Whats more, If I installed a supercharger on the SS, the power would jump to around 460-500HP, thats a lot more than the 340 ponies coming from a blown H-D 150 or the 360 coming from the SVT lightning. A supercharged 5.3 in a reg cab shortbox will walk away from a SVT lighting. :nono:

As far as cost goes, you pay for what you get.

And I'm proud to be in a family that owns Harley Davidson bikes, and IM PROUD TO BE A REDNECK!!! :cool:

Out :flag::chevy:

As the above stats show.  There is almost NO difference in size between the chevy extended cab, and the ford crew cab, other than the Chevy being a couple of inches longer.  The advertised HP for the F-150 H-D edition is 340.  The SS is 345.  And the SS weighs less.  

Whats more, If I installed a supercharger on the SS, the power would jump to around 460-500HP, thats a lot more than the 340 ponies coming from a blown H-D 150 or the 360 coming from the SVT lightning.  A supercharged 5.3 in a reg cab shortbox will walk away from a SVT lighting.  :nono:

As far as cost goes, you pay for what you get.

And I'm proud to be in a family that owns Harley Davidson bikes, and IM PROUD TO BE A REDNECK!!!  :cool:

Out :flag:  :chevy:

I owned a '99 Z71 and now a 2002 HD, and I can tell you the interior room is not even close. While the Chevy pickup had decent leg room for back seat passengers, the HD provides those same passengers significantly more room. Comparing the interior size is as misleading as comparing an extended cab Chevy to Ford's little Extended cab F-150. Ford's regular extended cab is a joke.

As for I could add this or I could add that - the comparison is what comes from the factory. Anyone knows you can easily take the HD over 400 HP with a few bolt ons. You can also swap the supercharger for one of the new KB's or Works blowers and take it farther.

Most tests I have seen show a 5.3 reg cab silverado not touching a stock 380HP Lightning when the Silverado had more HP.

As for the "you get what you pay for".. Then I'm VERY happy with the $32500 (after X-plan and rebate) I paid for my 2002 HD. I have the fastest 4 door truck with the best interior comfort.

Before you rip me too much, take note that my other vehicle is a Chevy. I've owned more Chevy's than Fords in my life. Whoever makes the best product gets my dollar.

-Mark

I find this thread very interesting since I happen to have an 02HD and the SS's closest cousin, an 01 GMC C3. For those who are unaware, the C3 is a 6.0 (325hp), extended cab, AWD, pickup. Virtually exactly the same truck as an SS with GMC badging. Both are excellent vehicles, but very very different. The GMC is quieter, more refined, and steers better while the Harley is much roomier, turns heads everywhere, and is stupid fast. Don't be mislead by the horsepower claims, the HD is way more powerful even tho GM claims the 6.0 makes 345hp (HD 340hp). The reason is two fold, the 6.0 has very little torque at lower revs while the HD pulls like train all the time because of the supercharger, and the 6.0 needs lower gearing. I had to change to a much smaller tire on my C3 because my truck did not have enough power to pull my two place snowmobile trailer in high gear-ever look up the cost of changing two gearsets!!!!!! (I thought this was appropriate to bring this up because of the earlier reference to towing in snow). Anyway, they are both great trucks, just don't be expecting to buy an SS and go head hunting for Harleys. You will be dissappointed.

Archived