Automatic Headlights

Foster

On the Canadian version of the SS there is no way to turn the headlamp knob all the way to the left. It just springs back clockwise. The problem is .. when you're at the drive-in theatre and you start your vehicle to .. uh ... clear the condensation from your windows, your lights will come on. The people parked in front of you get a little annoyed. I know if you shine a flashlight on the nightime sensor ( a little plastic bubble located in the middle of your dash up by the windshield) the lights will go out. But there must be another way to disable this feature ... anyone know? :pop:

I remember a post from tom @ tbyrne about how he accidently turned his off while driving down the road. He said that he pushed his dome light button 2x in a row, and it turned out all of the lights, disabling the auto headlights. Here is a link:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.p...ight=dome+light

Good luck

Aaron

I think its actually the exterior tail bed light, it was the same way on my '00 Silverado, just push it in quckely twice and it should ding at you letting you know its disabled.

The dome light switch does the same on the s10s. You can also unplug the sensor on the dash and install a resistor in it's place. I did this on a 99 s10 and it made the computer think it was daytime all the time.

"DOME OVERRIDE" is the small button about the size of a pencil eraser next to the headlight switch...if you push it fairly rapidly until you hear a chime, the headlights will go out. When you push the button it stays "in", then pushing it again lets it "out", i think if you do the cycle two or three times after your truck is running the lights will go out. Do the same to turn them back on. :thumbs:

Have you tried taking it to a Canadian GM dealer to see if they can make the lights function the way you want?

Another long shot... maybe a U.S. headlamp switch would help. Maybe the whole instrument cluster?

good luck

Archived