Black Paint Job

nicole90

Whats up im painting my Silverado black in a few weeks and im looking for a very dark shiny black im thinking about Mercedes black does any one know which black is very good black is the ss black the same as the regular black chevys thanks

Edited by mgcali87 (see edit history)

Whats up im painting my Silverado black in a few weeks and im looking for a very dark shiny black im thinking about Mercedes black does any one know which black is very good black is the ss black the same as the regular black chevys thanks

The only true black base coat GM used was 9700 Black (PPG #) the last year they used it was on the 98 chevy trucks. Now a days GM uses Onyx Black which has yellow, green, and brown under tones... Frankly I think its a discusting choice by GM because they look dull when polished out in direct sunlight. Now the Cadillac Raven Black uses green and Blue undertones which is a much deeper color and doesn't have that sewer water look in the sun light.

Personally I'm a fan of Speis Hecker Blue Black... Deepest black I have ever seen, but that being said you cant use anything less than 800 and a very high quality sealer before you spray that color or else it shows ever sand stroke under the paint.

FYI if you are going to paint your truck either have a color custom mixed or go GM.... its just a sin to put a different automakers color on your GM truck!

My advice if you want an extremely dark deep black... use PPG DBC 9700 black and mix it 15 parts black to 1 part of their darkest navy blue they have on the shelf ( I forget the number for their navy blue) this will give you that black hole effect and when you part next to a factory Onyx black truck your truck will make theirs look like old toilet water.

Happy painting!

Did they use that same color black on the Tahoe's than on the 98 trucks? I have compared my paint to my buddies 98 Tahoes paint, and you can see the difference. His looks darker, mine is just a bit more lustered but I do know what you mean about the brown in the paint. Certain gas station lights at night really show it, the green lights especially.

• 1 month later...

I spent two (2) years looking for such a black as you are seeking, for my 56' buick.

I settled on "dodge viper black". Blackest black I could find.

DJ-

I have to agree heavily, when I had my SS parked next to the Srt-10 Nite Runner, my truck just looked extremely shiny. The Ram was complete darkness.

• 3 weeks later...