Greenmtnss' New Motor

juriha

Alright Guys, as most of you might know my LQ9 in the SSS got hydrolocked and I need a new motor. The shop I am dealing with has been very cooperative with trying to figure out what to build. As of now I do not know exactly what has failed in the stock motor. My insurance company is giving me $6k to put a new motor in my truck. What I'm hoping from you guys is what can I build or expect to build for this amount? I was thinking 408 or going F/I of some kind. I feel for $6k I should be able to get something half way decent besides just another stock LQ9. I need advice, plain and simple, I dont build motors, so labor would be a cost as well. I have been bouncing ideas off of the guy I'm dealing with as to what I want and what he thinks we should build and keep it within the budget. I do have a little extra $$$ to throw in, but I really should be keeping that for house stuff...:glare: I got this email from him this afternoon,

"Here is where I am at: basically stuck. I need you to answer some questions for me. How much extra are you willing to put into this project? Obviously a big chunk of money is coming from the insurance, but how much do we have to work with? How much HP do you want to try to achieve? It is hard to figure out where to head with this because we don't know what pieces are salvageable. At minimum we will need rods and pistons to revive your current motor shortblock. At worst, the block is junk too. If that is the case, what do you want to start with for a motor? We could get a salvage motor, stick new heads, intake, cam, exhaust, retune. We could buy a stroker shortblock and put your current heads, intake, etc. Some combination of the above. Do we buy a reman long block and stick a magnacharger on it? That might be the best bang for the buck! I'm just stuck because we don't have enough info. I'm not sure if you want 600hp and are willing to spend 10k, or if you want 450hp and will spend 2k. The more direction you can give me the better as it helps eliminate some of the variables."

I honestly thought I could get into something turn key that was fairly decent for $6-7k...but he's making it sound like its going to take $8k to get 450hp? I have already asked him to work up estimates on how much to bring back to stock, and then a 408 build to achieve around 450hp. A 376 LSX long block is around $6k...I thought it would be cheaper to build something instead of buying from GMPP.

So in short, what can I expect to get for around $6k...what would you knowledgeable motor heads recommend or do if you were in my position? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Its been over a week of not having my truck and its beyond getting old already.

Edited by GreenMtnSS (see edit history)

i was reading this post and lsx376 was the first thing that came to my mind......the cheapest i found was 5300 i would buy it and take the "extra money" he wants u to throw into a rebuild and find a used tvs blower and be done or u could have ur guy just build u a forged 370 and get a single front mount turbo or somethin or twin rear mount

Edited by bruiser04 (see edit history)

I say if your block is not trashed from the hydrolocking I would look into having it bored, and getting a 408 stroker kit for it. I think a kit is about $2300 with a customized package from TSP. Here's a link, I'm sure stroker kits are available from many sources this is just an example. http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1016-tsp-408-cid-lq4lq9ly6-rotating-assembly.aspx

Then for heads you could leave your heads stock or have them ported for better flow, and upgrade your cam and you would have an awesome built motor for much less than an LSX376 although that is a good motor but I think it would require some changes since its 58x I think vs our 24x.

Get ahold of Zippy.

If your block is ok you should be able to go stroker and if you look around hard enough you can find some good deals on superchargers or turbochargers. You might be able to put some $ in the bank from it. That is if you dont need to beef up the tranny and do supporting mods.

I will just say this. My moms car was scraped to poop at an ER visit, and the kid responsible is claiming he has the second fastest Silverado in New Engand with a high 12 second truck. You build that baby up and I will invite him and you can spank him. Sound good? Kid was telling me his Airraide intake costed $800 and its not even ram air :icon_bs: . He was just talking crap as I told him I detail some high end cars and he thought it was cool to say his truck was faster than my SS. Get that built and i will have him up so you can put on a show on. He also said he had a Blackebear tune, then changed his answer that his dad tuned it. I dont know if he is for real or just full of it. Either way, good luck with your new build bud. :chevrolet:

edit - I would highly recomend Zippy hands down, or go with a Slowhawk tune in person. Zippy is the man.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

450 at the crank is to easy, even with a stock cubed motor, keep your goals high, But first you NEED to decide if you want FI or NA, DD truck, track and weekend truck, or all out truck. Then a plan and parts can be selected based on goals and budget.

450 at the crank is to easy, even with a stock cubed motor, keep your goals high, But first you NEED to decide if you want FI or NA, DD truck, track and weekend truck, or all out truck. Then a plan and parts can be selected based on goals and budget.

I'd love to go F/I but it doesnt quite seem like the $$$ is there right now, so I'm thinking for now just build a decent NA motor...do some stuff to the trans so it holds up for a little while and when money allows I will move to F/I. This truck will be my DD...

If you have dreams of fi, the motor should be built for that right away so you save money. If money is no object you can build a na purpose motor then change up, otherwise you need to start your fi build now. You realize this would sacrifice a bit of na power in the mean time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

If you have dreams of fi, the motor should be built for that right away so you save money. If money is no object you can build a na purpose motor then change up, otherwise you need to start your fi build now. You realize this would sacrifice a bit of na power in the mean time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Money is an object...I have between $6-8k to spend total...If I have to sacrifice HP for then so be it, eventually in the long run I would like to have a F/I 408...from what Ive researched I feel like I should be able to achieve a 408 prepped for F/I for what I have to spend. I will be calling Zippy sometime in the near future, I just work messed up hours and I know hes west coast, so I got a 3 hour time difference on him...

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Motor has been pulled and torn down. Cylinders 7 & 8 failed horribly, (see pics.) The block appears to be fine minus a nick out of the bottom of cylinder 8 wall...however I believe with it being on the very bottom the stroke of the motor wont be affected by it, its going to the machine shop tomorrow to be checked out. I kind of feel like the guy doing the work is raking me over the coals so to say. According to him to do the 408 turn key would come in around $7800, or buying a reman LQ9 and adding a Radix would come out to the same, that would be hoping to find a used Radix in the $3k range. That puts me at around $3k out of pocket and honestly I dont know if I can really swing that right now with the new house and other s#!t I have to get done before the snow flies. Keep in mind those figures are including TC and headers but not taking into account the small stuff like spark plugs, gaskets, etc. which adds up quick as well. I really hate to just stay at stock with this oppurtunity and I thought $6k would be enough to accomplish something. I know I need to get ahold of Zippy, fully intend to soon. Just kind of at a loss on where to go, really contemplating just going to get the truck and all my parts and pieces and bringing it home and going about this myself. I have plenty of friends with the know how to get all this stuff done, but the process would be much slower. Without further adue...heres the carnage...

post-16159-089161700 1316659913_thumb.jpg

post-16159-093374700 1316659926_thumb.jpg

post-16159-074844600 1316659946_thumb.jpg

post-16159-020118400 1316659959_thumb.jpg

oh wow. thats crazy it only hurt the bottom of the sleeve. i think you could build a 408 with your budget. it might not have the best brand name parts out there. but you could do it with decent parts. just get on tech and find everything you need. so far in my bottom end i have $1500 and i bought decent parts. wiesco boost pistons callies h-beam rods clevite bearings and total seal rings. i just found everything on ls1tech new that guys need money for. the biggest cost for you will be the crank. personally id build a strong bottom end now if the had the funds. r you just planning on having your stock heads worked over? or are you going with a aftermarket head?

I would just go turnkey. Check out LEP http://leperformance.com/lepstandard408ironblockls1shortblock.aspx

If you budget allows I would spring for a set of these http://leperformance.com/lepl92stgiicylinderheads.aspx

Edited by evandostert (see edit history)