Another 6 Liter Hurt :Shakehead:

shawnss

Well it looks like i have hurt the motor in the SS AGAIN. earlier this year i had to replace a piston on number one cylinder. due to the ringlands coming apart and i was pushing oil bad. Well the same cylinder is hurt agin. ever sense i replaced that piston earlier this year the truck has been letting out a puff of smoke when i went WOT. I was thinking maybe the turbo seal was on its way out and thats what was causing the puff of smoke every time i would get on it. well i took the truck out last night and i noticed its starting to smoke every time i leave a stop light. so i did a compression test on it today and it looks like something is hurt on #1 cylinder again. it had compression but not like the other cylinders all the other cylinders had around 155lbs and #1 only had around 135 lbs. plus when i pulled the plug it was soaked in oil and it was blacker than black. all the other plugs looked good. i have put 3 motors in this truck over 5 years. out of those 3 motors i have put in the truck 2 of the motors were hurt on #1 cylinder. im not sure whats going on in that cylinder but it cant be good. im just glad the season is over here for me cause the weather will be nasty here within the next month or so.

heres some pictures of the plugs i pulled today. you can which its the bad plug from #1 cylinder.

IMG_9588.jpg

IMG_9590.jpg

IMG_9593.jpg

IMG_9596.jpg

IMG_9587.jpg

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

Damn man that sucks! Are you going to try another 6.0, or build a beast?

it will be getting built. i think i've pushed stock 6 liters as far as i want to. last year i got my best time which was a 12.5 at 108 and thats good enough for a stock 6.0. i know there are a tons of guys pushing them harder than that. but i dont want to hurt a block. so im doing a full build just a forged 370 for boost. ive got everything to do the bottom end. i just need to pick my top end out.

heres some goodies i picked up a few months back :dbanana: :dbanana: :dbanana:

IMG_6521.jpg

IMG_6523.jpg

i have 2 6 liters motors. the motor in the truck right now is a LQ4. ill just set that one aside and build my stock LQ9. the LQ9 already has ARP main studs and is already bored .030 over for the boost pistons. :dbanana:

IMG_6393.jpg

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

Thanks for making me jealous! Looking forward to watching this build!

pepsicheer.gif

yeah it will be a few months before i start a build thread. the wife and i are moving within the next month or so and as we all know that pretty much takes over your life until we get all settled in. in the mean time ill finish collecting parts. im just kind of lost as to what im doing for the top end. i dont know much about cams. thats what has me at a stand still. :yellow_loser:

Its never fun to blow an engine however building one up is a blast. I will be looking forward to your build thread!

yeah im pretty stoked to get this build going. its fun picking out parts. but as we know there is a ton of research behind finding the right parts that will work well together. im not looks for record breaker just something that runs well and will stay together. :dbanana:

Sorry to hear about the broken motor. I would really look into a tuning problem though after a second motor failure. A 12.5 really indictates that you aren't pushing it hard at all and certainly shouldn't be anywhere near the point of killing a piston.

Sorry to hear about the broken motor. I would really look into a tuning problem though after a second motor failure. A 12.5 really indictates that you aren't pushing it hard at all and certainly shouldn't be anywhere near the point of killing a piston.

yeah tuning is the big down fall about living in Montana. I'm planning on contacting you when the new motor is all back together and ready to be fired up. im in no rush to get it back together. i just want to get the motor built right this go round.