Trailblazer TQ. Converter

Unless someone can talk me out of it, I am planning on having a Trailblazer Converter installed. I have read most of the post on here and LS1 Tech and they seem to be a reasonable (price and performance) mod. My truck has the Comp Cams 54-412-11, PCMforless, and will have the CAI shortly. I don't plan on going much farther than that with it and it won't be used as a drag racer other than an occasional street light blast. Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with these converters that would be applicable to a setup like mine? I would like the truck to act like it does now until I need the extra off the line quickness and I like the idea of staying with the stock GM part number and look for potential warranty issues.

I'm a little confused about the part numbers. I suspect some have been discontinued. So far I have come up with the following numbers by reading the posts and I'm not sure which one is the correct/best fit for my needs/desires:

Part # GMpartsdirect.com Price

------- --------------------------

24213391 $163

24215557 $280

24228708 $282

24228709 $280

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Dan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have the trailblazer converter in right now. i have been happy with it. i cant rem what the part number is off the top of my head right now but zippy will know for sure. i plan on selling mine sometime in september.

mwalls54,

Does the truck leave from a stop without a lot of slippage when driving easy, like the stock? Did you notice a significant improvement in "seat of the pants" on hard accelerations? If you did it again would you go with the Trailblazer or something else(assuming you stayed in the 2800 stall range)? Why are you pulling your? I hate to ask all these questions, but I would hate it more if I had to pull it back out and replace it with somthing else a week later.

Zippy,

Do you know the difference in all the part numbers, or better yet, which one should I go with?

Thanks

Dan

i'll try to remember to go through this when i get back to work monday. for each year of the trailblazer there is a different converter as well as 2wd and 4wd. some of the numbers also have likely been superceeded to something else. i'll try to get you some of the current numbers. we have one in stock at the moment i ordered for an 05' trailblazer. i figured it would be a good item to have in stock. :)

mwalls54,

Does the truck leave from a stop without a lot of slippage when driving easy, like the stock? Did you notice a significant improvement in "seat of the pants" on hard accelerations? If you did it again would you go with the Trailblazer or something else(assuming you stayed in the 2800 stall range)? Why are you pulling your? I hate to ask all these questions, but I would hate it more if I had to pull it back out and replace it with somthing else a week later.

Zippy,

Do you know the difference in all the part numbers, or better yet, which one should I go with?

Thanks

Dan

i couldn't tell a difference from stock when pulling out normal. when on hard accel it stalls around 2400. if i was my everyday driver i would leave the trailblazer in it, but i am going with a larger stall.

as for application, i can recomend a part number for you. what year truck is yours? is it an SS? what color is it? (:jester: ) list of future likely and current mods. also, do you tow with it and does it have a shift kit and what brand....

as for application, i can recomend a part number for you. what year truck is yours? is it an SS? what color is it? (:jester: ) list of future likely and current mods. also, do you tow with it and does it have a shift kit and what brand....

zippy,

My truck is a Black 03 SS with a Comp Cams 54-412-11 (.527/.529 lift), PCMforless tune, and I will be getting a CAI and Torque Converter very shortly. I'm holding out on the CAI until I here the results of the VaraRam. I usually only tow a pair of snowmobiles, although I may on rare ocasions hook onto my inclosed car trailer. No shift kit or servo. I like the way it shifts now with the tune. I will likely stay at this level of performance, unless someone gives me a headach and then it's pull out the credit card time. I'm fairly happy with the power I have now but the initial acceleration seems a little slow. I think I hit on all your points.

Thanks for the help

Dan

i'll try to get you the part number in the morning for ya so i can check for supersessions. the trailblazer converter should work fine for you, but if you're concerned about it being a bit loose for you a 2wd 4.8 converter might be the ticket you're looking for. the shifts with a higher stall are going to feel alot softer with the new converter.

i'll try to get you the part number in the morning for ya so i can check for supersessions. the trailblazer converter should work fine for you, but if you're concerned about it being a bit loose for you a 2wd 4.8 converter might be the ticket you're looking for. the shifts with a higher stall are going to feel alot softer with the new converter.

As for the loose, I just don't want it to feel like the tranny is slipping every time I take off from a stop. I have a 03 4wd Trailblazer now and if the SS will drive like that I won't have a problem with it. I know the SS is 15% heavier but it has 10% lower gears. My guess is they would start rolling with about the same effort/rpm.

I've had cars with very firm shifts and I had to lift off the gas to keep from chirping the tires, I really don't want this one to be that way. I don't mind when it's under full throttle but 95% of the time I'm just enjoying the luxury of the truck. I may be asking for to much but I would like to have the truck launch as hard as possible on those ocasions when I need/want without giving up the luxury/drivability.

Is it a big act to change the servo to firm up the shift if needed?

Thanks

Dan

As for the loose, I just don't want it to feel like the tranny is slipping every time I take off from a stop. I have a 03 4wd Trailblazer now and if the SS will drive like that I won't have a problem with it. I know the SS is 15% heavier but it has 10% lower gears. My guess is they would start rolling with about the same effort/rpm.

I've had cars with very firm shifts and I had to lift off the gas to keep from chirping the tires, I really don't want this one to be that way. I don't mind when it's under full throttle but 95% of the time I'm just enjoying the luxury of the truck. I may be asking for to much but I would like to have the truck launch as hard as practical on those ocasions when I need/want without giving up the luxury/drivability.

Is it a big act to change the servo to firm up the shift if needed?

Thanks

Dan

I can't say for sure, since I am still waffle-boy on the converter and tranny setup, and maybe Matt or Zippy can confirm / call BS on this, but the guys at FLP said the trailblazer TC would be great down low and for launching, but would shift Zippy-hard all the time regardless of throttle.

Also, I'd like to know a ball park for the max torque we can expect out of the trailblazer tc.

You see... If I don't spend stupid amounts of money on the tranny and converter, I can afford an ARE cam and heads when I do the engine work. Otherwise, I'll have to wait til bonus time as the FLP tranny and PI torque converter puts me on spending probation with the wife :jester:

24228708 is now the part number for the 02' and 03'. 24228709 is the part number for an 04'. 24213391 is still a valid part number, but the applications list has since changed on it. 12491321 is the part number for an 05'.

Archived