Exhaust Vs. Migraines

f1ss

Well I am finally jumping into the mod scene after 6 years of complete stockness. I do not want to lose power, and will get a tune soon after adding the exhaust.

Number one issue is I cannot deal with drone, I have a serious neck injury and drone is something I cannot tolerate and leads to severe migraines and me having to pull over and stop driving. Even once had to call fam to come pick the truck up and I rode passenger home in a different car.

I know Corsa is the answer and my favorite system, but I am not sure if I can swing the pricetag just yet as I am awaiting some coin coming my way. If anyone just has a Corsa muffler/system f/s let me know, sport or touring.

Borla XR-1s sound real nice, similar to Corsa a little but I am worried that they have some drone or might be to much deep tone for my migraine. Anyone with the XR-1s please chime in on your experience.

Flo-Pro seems to sound nice and they say they dont have drone. Sounds similar to Corsa also but I dont want to lose any power. Anyone with experience again, any info would be great.

Magnaflow is always been a great system, but again I am concerned it is too deep toned for my health issue. The longer case is the more quiet system correct?

I love Billy Boat, but I do believe it is too deep toned. I know it is rarely run on the trucks and not many members have it, but again any advice/info would be appreciated. I truely love the sound of this system.

And finally Gibson. My brother had this setup on his 5300 vortec and I could drive it 45 minutes and no issues with migraines. I cannot compare his split rear system to other companies, so if someone has had Gibson and switched to another exhaust that is extremely valuable info to me and my health concern.

Thank you all in advance for your time in reading this, I look forward to adding a system. Worst case scenario is I go Gibson as I know I can handle it, hold out for a Corsa down the line, or just stay stock for healths sake. :chevrolet:

if Corsa would get off their high horse and sell me just a Touring muffler id sell you my sport. IMO, save up and do it right the first time...i went through several exhausts on my truck before I got the Corsa and probably ended up spending more on all the other shit trying to get it right than I would have just buying a Corsa from the beginning.

If you can, I would ride in different trucks. When I listened to Youtube, it sounded completely different than it did in person. You know I vote for the Corsa. My touring is VERY quite at idle, and acceleration. Sounds great at WOT, but might not be loud enough for you. I know it will sound a lot better once I put headers on it. That's why I did not go with the sport. If you want I can make a video of it, since I never found a video with just the exhaust without headers.

If I had to do it over, I would spend the $700 on the Corsa again.

Edited by eeekroar (see edit history)

Hey Andrew,

I am running dual magnaflow now with no cats and I have a little drone but I like it. Before I swapped to magnaflow I was running Thrush and it sounded ok and didn't have no cab drone at all unless it was WOT. I know Thrush isn't a big name brand on here but they have been around for a long time. Plus they are cheap. That's just my opinion and experience that I have had. Hope I helped ya out brother.

JUstin

Hey Andrew,

I am running dual magnaflow now with no cats and I have a little drone but I like it. Before I swapped to magnaflow I was running Thrush and it sounded ok and didn't have no cab drone at all unless it was WOT. I know Thrush isn't a big name brand on here but they have been around for a long time. Plus they are cheap. That's just my opinion and experience that I have had. Hope I helped ya out brother.

JUstin

Hey Justin are the Thrush mufflers you had the welded ones? Because I'm running true dual Thrust welded mufflers on my 1957 and it sounded really good behind a 396 big block. Once the car is restored and back together with a 6.0L it will still have the same mufflers! LOL

I had Flo-Pro on my SS, droned a lot at all speeds

Then put a 50 series Flowmaster, somewhat droned

Then to a 23" Magnaflow, only droned at 70 mph

VHO now has true dual 18" Mags.

Didn't drone at all until recently when I dumped it, now drones at 70-75 mph in OD

I really hope you can find one that works for you and your health, hope this helps.

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

Thank you all for the quick responses, I really appreciate the input it is very helpfull.

It seems like the best choice is Corsa or Gibson, and I have to go Corsa as Ive always liked that Nascar noise. Now I honestly thought these were selling for over $1100, but I am guessing that depends on the setup (rear or side exit), the tips you choose to get, and other little possibilities.

I know stylin concepts/trucks use to carry them and they were expensive. I was also told theirs ways around them like JF-03-SS stated. Im guessing to go Sport, but I can expect it to be more expensive than the touring.

:chevrolet:

Hey Justin are the Thrush mufflers you had the welded ones? Because I'm running true dual Thrust welded mufflers on my 1957 and it sounded really good behind a 396 big block. Once the car is restored and back together with a 6.0L it will still have the same mufflers! LOL

Roger that Matt that's the ones I had. I love the sound and had no drone even with no cats but I wanted a louder exhaust so went with the magnaflows.

G/L on exhaust Andrew gonna send you a PM later on brother :thumbs:

i had a gibson on my 4.8 dumped befor the axel. i liked it. quiet at idel, and accelerating and loud kinda high pitched at WOT. i got just a little drone at around 2500 rpms. kinda like a sub woofer sound. now me, i liked the drone and wanted louder so i put on a 40 series flowmaster for a more muscle car sound at idle. i like it so far. still got the gibson muffler if your intrested i could help u out