Tailgate Caps

Iudex

I Installed a new tonneau cover this weekend, and had to take off my stock tailgate cover. I was planning on just running w/o one but, but I now know that there are ugly holes where the stock HD tailgate cap bolts into. So I was wondering on what Y'all had done to fix this problem. I know there are aftermarket options, but is there any that are smooth and gloss like the stock cap? I suppose if worse come to worse I could take it to a body shop and have the holes filled, but I believe that will be too much work for what its worth.

Thanks

Iudex

I'm sure that would look great, but that would cost an arm and a leg

You can buy a stock slip over cap from GM. Shops use these same ones when they used to replace the cap while installing Gaylord lids. They dont have to do this anymore since Gaylord has redesigned them to fit over our stock tailgate caps.

Good luck.

Actually the holes are not for the HD tailgate cap. We only have one tailgate. The holes are there for the standard Chev tailgate cap which takes fasteners. (It looks like a ledge or a short wing).

:chevy:

I Installed a new tonneau cover this weekend, and had to take off my stock tailgate cover. I was planning on just running w/o one but, but I now know that there are ugly holes where the stock HD tailgate cap bolts into. So I was wondering on what Y'all had done to fix this problem. I know there are aftermarket options, but is there any that are smooth and gloss like the stock cap? I suppose if worse come to worse I could take it to a body shop and have the holes filled, but I believe that will be too much work for what its worth.

Thanks

Iudex

Are you sure that the SSS tailgate cap would not fit your tonneau cover or did the dealer just assume that was the case? My Gaylord X2000 with Speedstur wing fits over my SSS tailgate cap and I have read on this site that the SnugTop (regular or XL?) also fits.

If not you will need the smooth CK style that is taped on like the SSS tailgate cap.

Archived