Mule Test 1

zippy

Took the Tahoe out to the track and although the results were horrible, this is part of the process that will make this fun. One thing going to the track tonight confirmed for me, my gov-lock is now just a gov-no-lock. I pulled it out of my 06' at something like 9k miles and it has always worked good for truck duty. It has never failed to lock in the snow, dirt, wet weather, etc. The only time it locks under heavy power now is when I powerbrake it. I checked it this morning with an off idle burnout in the street by my apartment. I'll post that pic tomorrow if I get a chance, but it's close to 300ft long. I should have let up, but there was so much smoke it was hard to tell if it was both or not and I wasn't in the mood to let up. Although the 3.42 gear is perfect for all around use with this motor I plan to go to a 4.10 for some track fun. This motor makes so much torque that even at 7700ft altitude it pulls a 7-8% grade at 1500rpm in overdrive with the converter locked loaed with 1500 pounds extra weight in fuel, passengers, and crap in the back. That wasn't me loading it and not making it downshift, it does this with 31-33% throttle opening only. I logged it on the way back from Michigan a few times with some of that being in the mountains. On the highway at 70mph it runs about 1800rpm currently and although it would be great to keep it that way I won't get the range of number I want. I'm expecting 4 tenths gain in just gear alone. I'm also expecting .5 more out of a good diff that gets both tires pushing. The list of gains coming will be big. I'll post the dyno numbers this week when the tune is close enough. Sometime this week I also plan to get rid of the stock exhaust which is something that running it on the dyno showed to be a huge problem. I expected this, but left it on there for that reason. I want to record the gains of getting rid of the stock muffler at the track and on they dyno.

On to the track. Only 4 passes were made so I didn't really get it's best out of it, but I was just there for a starter number.

Pass 1:

2.38 60'

[email protected] 1/8

[email protected] (side note very proud moment for me. this was my wifes first ever pass driving down the track)

Pass 2:

2.520 60'

[email protected] 1/8

[email protected] (wifes second pass)

Pass 3:

I'll have to find this, but was in the 19 second range. lol. Finally I drove and tried to launch it. I had the wife roll into it not knowing how it would come out. The results turned out to be a burnout from the line and once again from about 40mph. I ended up letting up and just cruised on through the traps.

Pass 4:

2.422 60'

[email protected] 1/8

[email protected] (even walking it out of the hole it spun, I let all the way out and had to roll back into the throttle)

All runs with with both me and the wife in the vehicle and probably 50lbs of crap in it. I should have stayed to get all I could out of it even with the traction problem, but it was a just a day for fun with the wife and an initial track day. With some minor mods this should actually get well into the 12's. Check build post for more.

Glad to see you finally got it to the track. looks like you know what you need to work on. at least you weren't expecting to run 12's the first time you the track. it's all fine tuning now. i bet it was a blast letting the wife run it a few time's.