Tiny Top End Rebuild Im A Pic Whore

evandostert

Well I am slowly going to add a few new things to my truck and see how it all goes.

I have posted this here before my truck

evanpics732.th.jpg

Last weekend I did efans. I am sure thats a tad boring. 145 alt black bear pulley, harness and dual battery

evanpics1506.th.jpg

yes ups messed up the box

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/73446-new-fast-intake/

ok every thing it in and it matches the packing list perfect.

I am only running the adapter plate for a week. I am going slow and cautious on this build. This is my daily driver

evanpics1521.th.jpg

I will be posting progress pics of fast install tonight

Then I am going for a nice williams TB and a 4" intake

Next week should be new heads once I make up my mind

Looking for the best options. I am going for durability reliability and am willing to give up power if needed so nothing buy GM springs and stock =ish cams for me. I am looking for heads with the best low lift ##

I am going to see if this works well and has a nice performance boost that I can feel.

I just got this is the mail so getting this installed and working is my first project

Edited by evand (see edit history)

You have some good upgrades going on.

I do have to ask why you would want a stockish cam with a 102mm intake and new heads? If your going to go through the trouble of heads, cam, and intake swap with the money spent on the top end already why not optimize the combo? A cam is basically the heart of the motor. Will it still run with a stock sized cam?? YES! Can it run alot better? Hell yes.

With that intake and better flowing heads you will basically be throwing money away without a cam suited for the combo. Durability and reliability can still come with a bigger cam and better than stock springs.

In my opinion you are wasting your time and money with a small or stock cam with the upgrades you are doing and not being F-I. Your power and drivability will be affected since the top end will want so much more than a small cam can provide.

Just my .02

You have some good upgrades going on.

I do have to ask why you would want a stockish cam with a 102mm intake and new heads? If your going to go through the trouble of heads, cam, and intake swap with the money spent on the top end already why not optimize the combo? A cam is basically the heart of the motor. Will it still run with a stock sized cam?? YES! Can it run alot better? Hell yes.

With that intake and better flowing heads you will basically be throwing money away without a cam suited for the combo. Durability and reliability can still come with a bigger cam and better than stock springs.

In my opinion you are wasting your time and money with a small or stock cam with the upgrades you are doing and not being F-I. Your power and drivability will be affected since the top end will want so much more than a small cam can provide.

Just my .02

I live in bumper to bumper traffic with high amounts of idle time ,this is my daily driver it's used for boat towing, snow storms with snow tires and driven through heavy traffic. I have my other go fast toys. These are small steps towards a bigger displacement. A fun low end torque build not a track build. I want under the curve power not peak horse. Cam lump, big stall and higher rpm peaks would not be that much fun. I am going for a conservative cam and want my valve springs to last.

Step one almost done

evanpics1545.th.jpg

insall pic link http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/73553-fast-lsxrt-install-with-lotsa-pics/

I understand your desire with the cam issue. With the intake and a good set of heads you won't need much camshaft to get the job done. Obviously I would recomend doing the bigger throttle body down the road, but you really are on a good path toward big power with excellent drivability. Have you picked your heads yet?

I understand your desire with the cam issue. With the intake and a good set of heads you won't need much camshaft to get the job done. Obviously I would recomend doing the bigger throttle body down the road, but you really are on a good path toward big power with excellent drivability. Have you picked your heads yet?

I am looking at TEA stage one 243. They show great mid range flow. I am sure they can substitute my spring rate. I am looking around for a rebuildable pair to send out.

M Factory LS-2/LS-6

Our stage 1 cnc program is built using out latest valve job and port design for the 243 or 799 GM cylinder head castings. This version is designed to work with the stock 2.00-1.55 sized valves and is very popular with the Z-06 crowd who wants to keep their factory lightweight valves. We give your heads a full cnc port job, custom 4 angle valve job, backcut the intake valves, hand blend the porting and valve job together, flow test (sheet provided), flat mill, and assemble with .650” dual springs and Titanium retainers.

FLOW DATA 3.900" BORE

Lift Intake Exhaust

0.100 64.5 47.5

0.200 145.2 113.6

0.300 215.5 166.1

0.400 254.4 222.1

0.500 293 244.2

0.5500 306.6 252.1

0.600 310 256.3

* Tests conducted at 28" of water, 3.900" bore, 1.875" x 4.0"Exh. pipe

I also have an extra set of injectors. I just purchased. I am gonna send them off to be resized. I am checking with black bear on what flow rate.

evanpics.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Still shopping for 1.8 rockers and.

DR x, New TB and intake should be on this weekend. Just need UPS to show up.

I am looking at TEA stage one 243. They show great mid range flow. I am sure they can substitute my spring rate. I am looking around for a rebuildable pair to send out.

I also have an extra set of injectors. I just purchased. I am gonna send them off to be resized. I am checking with black bear on what flow rate.

Still shopping for 1.8 rockers and.

DR x, New TB and intake should be on this weekend. Just need UPS to show up.

When you get your injectors "resized", you will not have correct tuning info on them. This is a cheap way to tune your truck wrong and lose drivablity. Buy injectors that have ALL the correct tuning info on them. With a low rpm build that you are wanting, buy a set of used 200-250 dollar GM 8.1 MARINE injectors. And they will still be bolt in.

Read me: http://www.injectordynamics.com/DrillbitsAndDipshits.html

I've had a torque motor and now have a high reving motor, i know what you want but be reasonable with the parts you choose or your going to dump all this money into 50 extra HP.

Don't waste your money on stage one heads. Get a high flowing head and let the cam be the restriction. And you said your shooting for more displacement down the road, buy the heads now or buy them twice later. Your on the right path with TEA and a 65cc head, but if your going to get them ported.....get them ported. You could also get a 5.3 head and get more compression. When you build a 408 down the road, you just get pistons to match what you want.

Here are some things to think about

Stock compression on GM head gasket

10.04 ish

Deck stock heads to 68 cc with gm gasket

10.5 ish

decked stock heads with .040 cometic gasket

10.78 ish

LS6 head with gm gasket

10.87 ish

ls6 head with .040 gasket

11.18 ish

5.3l head with gm gasket

11.43 ish

5.3l head with .040 head gasket

11.77 ish

To a point the more compression the better, but even at that, i would rather have more compression and minus a little timing for what you want. I'm running 11.42 on E10 93 with no issues and i think zippy said 11.8 could be done. So that 5.3 head with a gm gasket looks pretty good. Bare in mind you can deck the ls6 head down to the 5.3 head and have a little better chamber design but the same flow.

If your planning all this money into porting a head and then putting it on a 408, go with a trick flow 225 head and a .040 gasket and you'll have a great head for both motors.

Buying 1.8 rocker arms and putting a cam in...makes no sense.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

I agree with the injector thing, I never recomend a drilled injector. For the money you can't beat upgrading to the L59 injectors which are a direct bolt in for a truck other than changing the connector. They are just over 35lbhr at 58psi and easily to find. Get a set of them, send them out for cleaning and flow testing, and install.

• 2 weeks later...

I got these take off's from an 8.1 for super cheap. I may need to get pig tails. I am going to ship them off for cleaning.

evanpics1550.th.jpg

Looks like pigtails are a must. any ideas on which ones are best??

evanpics1553.th.jpg

Still not 100% on the tune waiting for black bear to fix that. Small idle issues stalls while driving in parking lots on rare occasion.

I am waiting on a few parts. I am going to do xlink,intake and TB next week once the injectors are back.

I do like the look of those TEA heads and a nice bump in compression sounds like fun.

I found a nice cheap low mile 6.0 lq9 that I am going to purchase next. I have a wrecker friend. I am looking at a 408 and cam next. This is a hobby to me so I am not in a real rush. I like to try a few things at once and not rip everything down and do it all at once.

You may be a pic whore, but I am one jealous whore of your build. I know exactly about the hobby and waiting, shit I am completely stock still. And me collecting trains, well I am modeling a certain AMtrak train from CHicago to Boston and its taken 5+ years and I am going for the winning bid tonite on the final model train. With all the trains and how rare, could buy a f/i system but trains and trucks are my toys.

Cant wait to see your 408 setup down the line :pepsicheer::chevrolet:

• 5 weeks later...

A little progress. Black bear fixed my stalling. I am back on the mod path. I am tracking down a misfire and a few issues before moving forward. I think my injectors are bad. I just sent out a set. I am impressed at the turn around speed and quality of work from this company

photo1rk.th.jpg

a link to them

http://hurstinjectorservice.com/

I want to make an injector test stand cleaning tool, I have read thats it rather easy (battery and some sprak cleaner and a test tube) and would be cool to have for a situation like this. I drive my truck and am hesitant about doing a stroker( I have the spare build engine too!) and just the down time...but I loook forward to how your build turns out.