After A Long Trip... Clunk Clunk Clunk From The Rear End

So yesterday after a 3 hour trip which included some spirited highway driving my rear end started making clunking noises when turning at slow speeds once I got to my destination. Overnight my rear end leaked oil into the driveway so it is officially out of commission or going out of commission.

I will be doing this myself in my driveway so I wanted to make sure that a TrueTrac rear end was all I would need. Is this it? http://www.summitrac...ts/DTL-913A555/ (EDIT - Actually I dont think this is it anymore... someone please point me in the right direction. )

Will this fix my rear end woes? How difficult is the replacement / install? Any write ups?

Thanks in advance yall. I have an 04 with the 10 bolt rear end.

Edited by matt 2k12 (see edit history)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I dont have an unlimited budget though... I was hoping I could buy a true trac for ~$500 or so and do the work myself and be back in action.

And maybe I'm making it sound worse than it is at this point. It is still drivable, but something is obviously going out. And since the previous owners have both mentioned having to replace rear ends all the time, I assume it is the same thing. The previous owner told me all I would need in this truck is a true trac rear end for $500...

Before I call Ron I want to make sure I have the problem correctly diagnosed. Symptoms again are clunking rear end under slow turning.

Ok So I found this from Ron's Site : http://www.ronsmachiningservice.net/servlet/the-7045/GM-8.5-CHEVY-10/Detail

Is this all I need or do yall recommend replacing the gear package as well? Also, is it worth it to go to 4.10 gears or 3.42?

Thanks in advance

Well I called Ron's machine and he informed me that there is a Value-Trac that is made in the same factory as the True Trac and uses the same components! like $150 cheaper. I had him throw in a bearing kit and it was $350 with free shipping becuase I mentioned this forum!

Awesome!

cool good deal. i was looking at the same setup. you are 2wd? correct? a gear swap wouldt be a bad idea but i wouldt do 3.42's. maybe 3.73's and i think the stock AWD ss's run 4.10's or 4.11's from factory but im not 100% what 2wds have stock in a ss. im doing 3.73's but we got alot differnt setups. i think 3.73's are a good all around gear. hope that helps.oh and i would love to see some pics when you do it, ima bout to tackle mine soon.

Edited by LilEz02 (see edit history)

cool good deal. i was looking at the same setup. you are 2wd? correct? a gear swap wouldt be a bad idea but i wouldt do 3.42's. maybe 3.73's and i think the stock AWD ss's run 4.10's or 4.11's from factory but im not 100% what 2wds have stock in a ss. im doing 3.73's but we got alot differnt setups. i think 3.73's are a good all around gear. hope that helps.oh and i would love to see some pics when you do it, ima bout to tackle mine soon.

AWD SS = 4.10 gears

2WD SS = 3.73 gears

bout 97% sure lol

I never looked into prices on those the tru-tracs or value-trac. MIght have to throw that on the list for my February mod list.

Thank you again 2BFast for pointing members in the right direction/helping out. :chevrolet:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been having that same issue in a 2wd. After a few jumps.on.the gas, it locks up as if the rear end was weld togehter at the axles. Kind of know.that feeling from.the days of midnight running. I've had this problem for three years. Been to the dealership, they changed fluid and swear to me that it doesn't need a posi additive. It does release, but.it.is annoying sometimes. Should.I throw in some.posi additive. Like.I said, its been this way since I got.my truck with 40000 miles. I've out 35000 on since then and its still together.

I've been having that same issue in a 2wd. After a few jumps.on.the gas, it locks up as if the rear end was weld togehter at the axles. Kind of know.that feeling from.the days of midnight running. I've had this problem for three years. Been to the dealership, they changed fluid and swear to me that it doesn't need a posi additive. It does release, but.it.is annoying sometimes. Should.I throw in some.posi additive. Like.I said, its been this way since I got.my truck with 40000 miles. I've out 35000 on since then and its still together.

Please feel free to keep me posted on your progress. Contact me if you find that you are still experiencing a concern. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service.

The Eaton G80 in our rear diffs do not require an additive if you use the proper gear oil......GL5 rated 75W-90 synthetic gear oil already has friction modifiers mixed in, additives are not necessary.....