Awd To 2Wd Conversion?

03SuperSweet

Thanks Mr. 3/4 ton SS, that cleared it up for me A LOT. Like i said earlier AWD is a whole new animal to me. I know regular 4wd and i just figured the AWD system used a lot of the same parts, but it never even crossed my mind that the front diff would be specific to the AWD system. And i would NEVER think of pulling the axles or driveshaft, that is just asking for more problems. The only thing i would do that kind of stuff to was my old demo derby trucks when they wouldnt allow 4wd, but if the front shaft was out it was good. :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your using this as a trailering vehicle, you really couldnt have a better truck imo. The awd beats the 4x4 imo hands down. But if your only trailering in dry summer type conditions its no biggy and awd is not necessary. Ive seen videos where trucks where trying to pull their boats off loading ramps and all 4 wheels spinnning and SS to the rescue with its awd. Just food for thought. Also Ive driven in state of emergencys and saw local and state 10 wheelers, Z-71s deep into the woods far off the road and I was still going the speed limit (55-65mph) on stock crapyear tires.

edit - Mr 3/4 ton SS hit the nail on the head. Whoever said remove the cv joints, you would have blown numerous parts and your drivetrain would have been fudged.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

My 07 is 2 wheel drive. It will smoke em as long as I want. No too smart though. Tires at $200 a pop!

The only way a 2 wheel drive SS can even begin to get the power to the ground is with traction control. Which sucks for performance driving.

I wish the 07s offered all wheel drive.

My 07 is 2 wheel drive. It will smoke em as long as I want. No too smart though. Tires at $200 a pop!

The only way a 2 wheel drive SS can even begin to get the power to the ground is with traction control. Which sucks for performance driving.

I wish the 07s offered all wheel drive.

You and the O.P. should get together and start swapping parts. Its a straight swap over, the frame is the same on both trucks... or just trade...

Just remove the cv axle's, then it's 2wd

^ :idiot:

If you want to do burnouts to impress high school kids then get a different truck. If you want something with better fuel mileage get a different vehicle. My opinion.....

^ :idiot:

If you want to do burnouts to impress high school kids then get a different truck. If you want something with better fuel mileage get a different vehicle. My opinion.....

you can stick your opinion up your a....I mean I agree with this post. 4 wheel burnouts are cool, 2 wheel burnouts can be achieved with 4 cyl pickups

The burnouts are more for my own personal enjoyment, nothing to do with high school kids. It still puts a smile on my face, i guess its the redneck in me that wont let it go. And the gas mileage comment came about because i am getting about the same mileage as my old 01 F-250 which was a 4wd and weighed in at 6000+ lbs. I figured with the LS style motor being a more efficent and powerful motor that i would be getting at least a little bit better mileage. The mediocre mileage doesn't bother me as much as you guys are making it to be. Plus i think a couple of you misunderstood the reasoning for my original post. As i said originally it was just a thought, apparently most of you dont like the idea of being able to switch from AWD to 2wd.

As i said originally it was just a thought, apparently most of you dont like the idea of being able to switch from AWD to 2wd.

Don't take any offense to any of the comments........I personnel bought my '03 SSS because it was AWD. If I had wanted something 2WD/4WD, I would have bought a regular old 4WD pick-up. AWD is the best thing about the SSS.

its not that nobody likes the idea me personally i would love being able to switch from 4 to 2 as i want. its just not worth doing. the amount of time and money involved you would be better off buying a VHO. now a strait AWD to RWD swap is not as bad. as said above if you can find a RWD truck that wants to be AWD its just a matter of swapping the parts over. still easier said than done. and honestly if your planning on doing that youd be better off just buying a RWD SS being that these trucks are not that expensive anymore.

The SS being AWD and having the 6.0 is why i bought one to replace my old 250. It has the capability to get me out of the dirt if it rains while im at the track, and it can pull my car with ease with the power the 6.0 makes. I needed something that had more power, more space, and overall better quality then my old ford. And i highly doubt, after reading what everyone has said, that i will even attempt to try and swap the driveline orientation. It just seemed like a neat idea to me since you cant find a 4wd vehicle with an aggressive stance like the SS has.

The other reason i had thought about trying to see if i could switch the awd on and off is because i cant ever leave anything i own alone. I always have to modify it to make it fit me.

It is no easy task however it can be done. You will need all the parts from a donor vehical. The front diff in the awd is different from the 4x4 unit. The same with the transfercase. The AWD and the 4x4 push button case are different. Then you will need the wiring diagram for a 4x4 truck of the same year. You will have to wire up the front motor to engage the front diff and also wire up the transfer case. You would most likely have to wire up the push button as well. It would be best if you could get all the wirieng from a donor truck.

My 2003 SSS will get 20-21 Mpg going 65 :) with taylor 409's, New bosch iridium plugs, Corsa Sport, and AEM brute force intake! and that mpg is amazing in my eyes! Hauled my 2 place snowmobile with 1,000 pounds worth of sleds on it and the trailer weighing 1,000 pounds and still got 19 mpg! pepsicheer.gif