Awd To 2Wd Conversion?

03SuperSweet

I am new to the board here, i bought a black 03 SS a couple months ago it is bone stock right now with 72k on it. I have plans for exhaust, intake, tuner, etc..... but for right now money is tight and i am just tossing ideas around in my head, and this is my latest "plan" :). Even though i love the way the AWD makes the truck handle, i miss the ability to light them up whenever i feel like it. This truck just grabs and goes. I know a lot about 2wd's and 4wd's, but AWD is a new animal to me. This could be a dumb question, but is there any way to adapt the transfer case in these trucks to work like a normal 4wd with the on/off capability? Or would it be easier to swap the front end over from a 2wd Silvy? Or should i just try to find someone that would trade my AWD for a 2wd?

Thanks

Tom

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is a lot of work and money. I remember seeing a picture of a dash torn apart to do this and wow, it looked like it was something only a guru of chevrolet could go. Youd be better off with a VHO honestly if you want to switch back and forth. :chevrolet: Then again you could do it if you really want, be a very rare SS for sure.

^ It's like those people that lift 2wd trucks......WTF

Exactley! I can understand a lifted awd SS and it not fitting many peoples tastes, but not 2wd thats just damn pointless. To each their own as always, I have to respect as I do everyone's opinion.

My main thought with it, was to be able to keep the handling capabilities of the AWD but to be able to turn it off when doing normal around town daily driving to save a little on gas mileage............Also i miss being able to do burnouts :( It just seemed like a neat idea, but it looks like no one else does?

My main thought with it, was to be able to keep the handling capabilities of the AWD but to be able to turn it off when doing normal around town daily driving to save a little on gas mileage............Also i miss being able to do burnouts :( It just seemed like a neat idea, but it looks like no one else does?

you can still do burnouts... just not very long ones.... and you just need like 500+ hp lmao :crackup: (p.s. ive got mine smoking before and its awd but now its on its way out so i dont recommend doing that lol)

If you really want 2wd id just try to trade your truck for a 2wd. no point in going through all the trouble of switching everything over. but if your start making power your going to want that AWD. power is nothing without traction. yeah burning out every once in awhile is fun. but when it comes to laying power to the ground with a 2wd its a little harder unless your setup right. i have done AWD donuts on dry pavement. its quite fun. but ill probably never do it again its rough of stuff.

The main reason that i bought the truck was i needed a new truck to pull my race car with. I used to have an 01 F-250 but it was a dog and only a standard cab. When i decided to upgrade i looked at a lot of different options and the SS fit it best since i couldnt find a Max or VHO. It has the power to pull the car and awd to get me out of the pits if it gets muddy. I just dont like the full time AWD. I would love to trade and get a Max or VHO but they dont seem to exist in Maryland :( The only realalistic plans i have for the truck right now are exhaust and intake just to give it a few more ponies. Like i said i was just sitting here wondering if anyone had done it and if it was a relatively easy thing to do, but it seems like it is more of a pain than it is worth. But does anyone know why you cant make the transfer case on these trucks run idle like they do in the regular 4wd trucks? Is it not possible or is it a computer issue?

It can definitely be done, but you won't be getting much better mileage. I'd be surprised if it got more than 1-2 mpg more. You'd need to swap the front diff and t-case and get the 4wd module and switch to make it all work. The ss transfer case has a viscous clutch and is only one speed, it cannot be disengaged, and don't think about pulling the drive-shaft or cv axle's either.

Edited by Mr. 3/4 ton SS (see edit history)