Groany Noise On Uphill Turns

williamgneal

My front suspension, steering, and differential are all entirely stock but I get this odd groany noise when I turn right uphills. I work in a chevrolet dealership and all the techs are scratching their heads at it. I am thinking that maybe the clutches in the AWD work against each other when you turn in that particular way and it groans, but I wanted some other opinions, please!banghead.gif

My front suspension, steering, and differential are all entirely stock but I get this odd groany noise when I turn right uphills. I work in a chevrolet dealership and all the techs are scratching their heads at it. I am thinking that maybe the clutches in the AWD work against each other when you turn in that particular way and it groans, but I wanted some other opinions, please!banghead.gif

have you changed your oil. or maybe lube up your joints. cheap maintenance that may help....dunno.gif

have you changed your oil. or maybe lube up your joints. cheap maintenance that may help....dunno.gif

I just changed my oil last weekend and greased every joint. I'm thinking maybe if I get the clutches in the transfer case hot and then flush the fluid and replace it with a newer fluid it might help, but that is only if the problem lies in the transfer case.

Might be the front diff? Have you changed the diff oil? You said you changed your oil were you referring to the engine oil or the differential oil.

I was referring to the engine oil, I'll change the front diff oil next chance I get. Should I use a heavier weight oil?

Just like Matt said, try new fluids in the front diff and check to see If the metal shavings are their. Might be time for a rebuild. If it were me in your situation, I would stick with the exact same oil hoping its synthetic. How many miles you have on it? You dont see cold weather much like up north, what weight you running currently? :chevrolet:

Just like Matt said, try new fluids in the front diff and check to see If the metal shavings are their. Might be time for a rebuild. If it were me in your situation, I would stick with the exact same oil hoping its synthetic. How many miles you have on it? You dont see cold weather much like up north, what weight you running currently? :chevrolet:

There are only 53000 miles on the vehicle, it gets down below freezing here, and I'm not entirely sure what weight the front differential calls for. I'm going to pull it open tomorrow, I'll post the results.