Went to the Carlsbad Raceway...

dcairns

Disclaimer- This was my first time drag racing, as you can see from my rather sorry reaction times (especially the first one). There was a 15-20 mph head wind and the temp was about 85 degrees. No weight saving measures were taken (even had my underseat box with my lunch in there). And I had 3/4 of a tank of gas and 950 miles on the odometer.

carlsbad3.JPG

15.339 @ 86.27

15.466 @ 86.08

15.374 @ 76.90

Sorry for the blurry time slip pics, it is too windy outside to use the sun to get a faster shutter speed.

run1a.JPGrun2a.JPGrun3a.JPG

I forget what I did the first run. Second run I tried power braking. Third run, I just punched it. I think the dreaded torque managment keeps power braking from making any difference.

For comparison, the red lightning (shown two cars behind me in the picture), is stock, except the air filter, and ran a 14.06. On my second run, I had the orange Willies (in line ahead of me in this pic) in the other lane. He did a 12.355 at what must be 103.31 mph (slip says 3.31 :crazy: ).

On my third run I was with the silver import shown in the top photo (didn't notice what kind). He did quite well at 13.431.

carlsbad7.JPG

If you can handle the 5MB file and my wife's "stunning" camera work, here is a video of the third run: Run Three Movie

I think the silver car is a Mercedes....

Yeah, now that you mention it, I did see one in the other lane. Had a Mercedes emblem on the blower anyway.

I started playing with the ET calculator at www.prestage.com, using my ET of 15.339 and a weight of 5352 lbs (5013 + me at 220 lbs. + (gas 19.5 gal X 6.1 lbs. per gal) =5352 lbs.). This works out to a rwhp of 290. That gives a 16% drive train loss from the 345 hp at the flywheel rating.

So, given a weight of 5352 lbs and 290 rwhp, the calculator gives me a 15.38 at 88.63 mph, pretty close to reality of 15.339 @ 86.27. Since I have a few gimmes on my real world ET, these are probably conservative figures.

Whipple said they were getting 470 hp flywheel (unknown correction factor for drive train loss) from the Escalade. That works out to about a 38% increase from the stock 345 hp. Not an unreasonable sounding number given they advertise a 40-50% increase ;). So, adding the Whipple, should be good for 400 rwhp. That works out to a 13.82 at 98.65 mph.

THIS IS A POST FROM LS1TECH.com.. Topic has anyone run against a HEMI...

Grabbing Gears

Member # 4330

posted March 27, 2003 06:59 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lined up next to one at Gainesville last night. It was a standard-cab, short bed Hemi!

I cut an .004 light (to his .8xx ) so my only slightly better ET looked like a slaughtering!

I ran a 15.41 @ 89, he ran a 15.47 @ 87. His short time was a 2.2x and mine was a 2.3x.

Of course, I've just got a little bitty ol' 4.8!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 332 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2002 | IP: Logged |

15.339 @ 86.27

15.466 @ 86.08

15.374 @ 76.90

How can your 3rd run be almost as fast as your 1st yet be almost 10mph slower???

Justin :chevy:

Beats me. The wildcard is the wind. It is what we call Santa Ana winds. They can be very strong and gusty from the North East, opposite the normal South West wind pattern. When I said there was a 15-20mph head wind, that did not include gusts. I suppose it is possible the wind was lighter at the begining of the run and started gusting towards the end. Also the third run in a different lane than the first two. But I am not exactly having traction problems that a lane change would help or hinder. :confused:

Happy to hear that some one has one and has ran it.

Gm says it is 345 hp. I hate to tell you this, but that is a bad time. :nono: I can take my almost stock 91 and blow your doors in by 1.2 sec @ 92 mph only running 280 hp @ the rear wheels add 18 % loss in the drive shaft and that is only 330.

In my eyes that truck needs a diet and some big time mods.

Granted on your tempature and being the first time @ the track, but even with it being 40 degrees you will only hit very low 15 to very high 14's.

Please dont take this the wrong way. This is only my 2 cents. :thumbs:

I did all the runs with the tail gate up. I thought about lowering it, but wasn't too sure about having it flapping in the breeze :P . Besides, the idea was to get a base line, not take advantage of every trick.

15.339 @ 86.27

15.466 @ 86.08

15.374 @ 76.90

How can your 3rd run be almost as fast as your 1st yet be almost 10mph slower???

Justin :chevy:

That's a recurring problem at Carlsbad........ every so many runs the timeclocks will lose 10 (or add 10 mph?) to your speed. It helps that it's a nice whole 10 mph so it's easy to spot when you're comparing slips.

That's a recurring problem at Carlsbad........ every so many runs the timeclocks will lose 10 (or add 10 mph?) to your speed. It helps that it's a nice whole 10 mph so it's easy to spot when you're comparing slips.

I guess that would explain the orange Willies doing a 12.355 at 3.31 mph.

Great job Dave :cheers:

I think we were pretty close to that number back when we first started talking about the Silverado SS and ETs and I showed were to find some of the ET vs Horsepower calculators. Carlsbad is a real bad track but it does put out some of the best ETs if traction is not your issue due to being at sea level. Add 2600 to 5000 ft as it is at Palmdale you will lose about 4 tenths but you should come up on a Friday night

grudge night. I have to give you a big thumbs up for going to the track and giving it a go :thumbs: fun stuff :chevy: Are you hooked yet??

Are you hooked yet??

Well, I had a good time, talked to a few guys while waiting in line, even a friendly guy in a red Lightning (they are not all as bad as the occasional trolls we see here :P ). I still have some work to do on my timing to get a decent reaction time. Fortunately they give you the raw time the car actually runs, so I could collect the data I wanted.

We were only there for 3 hours, as I didn't want the wife to get too bored. I don't think it will be easy to talk the wife into going next time, though. It hadn't occurred to me what kind of people would be attending. My wife said her ears were hurting after sitting in the stands. Not from the noisy cars, but from the foul language :shakehead: She could not believe all the swearing, drinking and pot smoking that folks were doing in the stands. Not exactly a family friendly environment. To be fair, she does have a pretty sheltered life as a preschool teacher, so this was not something she is used to. Good thing I didn't bring my nephew, I would be in big trouble when he demonstrated his new vocabulary to his parents! :uhoh:

Archived