Banks returns....

detjoe

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kit only "needs" to be proven at the track for a truck. It's already been done for a f-body. However, I haven't done a search for results for a similar modded f-body with say, a D1SC, for comparison.

FWIW, I think I have yet to tell anyone they need to get a STS. Now, after it is on and running - that may be a different story :P At least I haven't been like the Professor. ;)

The kit only "needs" to be proven at the track for a truck. It's already been done for a f-body. However, I haven't done a search for results for a similar modded f-body with say, a D1SC, for comparison.

modded it's a tough call for sure. i've driven a stock procharged camaro and wasn't impressed with it. only the parts from the kit were used including the programming, but it was by far not impressive for a supercharged kit. the kid didn't know which procharger he had though, just that it was one.

The kit only "needs" to be proven at the track for a truck.  It's already been done for a f-body.  However, I haven't done a search for results for a similar modded f-body with say, a D1SC, for comparison.

modded it's a tough call for sure. i've driven a stock procharged camaro and wasn't impressed with it. only the parts from the kit were used including the programming, but it was by far not impressive for a supercharged kit. the kid didn't know which procharger he had though, just that it was one.

You see, this is the problem with all of us... None of us are impressed with stock anything :smash:

I thought I could be, I really did. I'm very glad I found this site and the STS because I wouldn't have been satisfied with a 'bolt on' like the whipple I came here to get info on. I'm not knocking anything -- realize my nickname isn't Berserker because I am mild about things :)

I can't wait till my truck is back together so I can hit the track and finally get some real #s for the STS kit so people can get an acurate idea of what they are capable of.

I only "tried" to run the truck once before the oil/fire mishap and even then I simply stopped on the highway (3am) and turn on the G-Timer and let it rip. It yanked my into the other lane due to TQ steer and not expecting it, then rocketed off extremely hard till somewhee mid 2nd gear when it just fell on its face. I checked boost and fuel pressure and everything was good so I stayed in it for a sec more then lifted just as the timer stopped signaling the end of the run :( It was a 1.83 60' 12.85@100mph :confused: (Side note: The G-Timer is extremely accurate and I have tested at sac Raceway and found it to be no more than .12 and .7mph off)

Turns out I boosted the crankcase and my oil filler cap popped off and spewed out a ton of oil hense the truck falling on it's face yet I still managed a 12sec run at a 100mph LOL (I turned 97mph before the turbo but could only get 2.0 60's and low 14s) so you know the turbo was doing one hell of a job until the oil pressure went.

But until we get some real 1/4mile times I don't expect to quell the skeptical remarks. I am not a big fan of dyno #s either and believe the proof is in the pudding, or timeslip to be exact. ;)

I can't wait till my truck is back together so I can hit the track and finally get some real #s for the STS kit so people can get an acurate idea of what they are capable of.

I only "tried" to run the truck once before the oil/fire mishap and even then I simply stopped on the highway (3am) and turn on the G-Timer and let it rip. It yanked my into the other lane due to TQ steer and not expecting it, then rocketed off extremely hard till somewhee mid 2nd gear when it just fell on its face. I checked boost and fuel pressure and everything was good so I stayed in it for a sec more then lifted just as the timer stopped signaling the end of the run :( It was a 1.83 60' 12.85@100mph :confused: (Side note: The G-Timer is extremely accurate and I have tested at sac Raceway and found it to be no more than .12 and .7mph off)

Turns out I boosted the crankcase and my oil filler cap popped off and spewed out a ton of oil hense the truck falling on it's face yet I still managed a 12sec run at a 100mph LOL (I turned 97mph before the turbo but could only get 2.0 60's and low 14s) so you know the turbo was doing one hell of a job until the oil pressure went.

But until we get some real 1/4mile times I don't expect to quell the skeptical remarks. I am not a big fan of dyno #s either and believe the proof is in the pudding, or timeslip to be exact. ;)

Do you mind talking a little more about what happened and why your truck is in need of putting back together?

You guys must have patience that i could never have
I may be missing the point here, but why do a mod that takes that long to get running correctly

I'm with these guys. It just seems like it is taking the fun out of owning and modding your ride if it becomes a second career to make it work right. Sorry, no offense meant but......

It just seems like it is taking the fun out of owning and modding your ride if it becomes a second career to make it work right. Sorry, no offense meant but......

I guess were just gettin old Lee. I'm into quick and reliable......

What about the company from down under that makes an intercooler for the KB twin screw? Someone posted a link to LS1 with the info, but they seem to have a good kit, expensive.

Thanks for all these posts about how the STS's are coming, it was nice getting caught up :cool:

Could there be a bigger magnacharger? IF the radix topped out, or stopped being efficient, could we get a bigger one? It Seems like the STS kit has more flexability with turbo sizing?

...and what about 427 is the W2W kit closer or is he teasing us :rolleyes:

Good luck tuning you guys, I know how hard it must be to change numbers and then go drive and have smething different happen...I'm glad we have all of these people here to share info, I play here on SSS.com but some of your guys know your sh#!, thanks for sharing with us regular NA guys :chevy:

You guys must have patience that i could never have
I may be missing the point here, but why do a mod that takes that long to get running correctly

I'm with these guys. It just seems like it is taking the fun out of owning and modding your ride if it becomes a second career to make it work right. Sorry, no offense meant but......

For me, I am very used to working 18 hours a day. When I get home these days, I feel kinda lost. Its good to be busy.

:crazy::lol::cheers::jester:

I hear ya both. I knew, even as I bought HPT, that I should be buying a tune from Allen, but I honesty love figuring out stuff like this, even as much as I hate it at times. I get a big reward from starting from scratch and ending up with a lot more than expected and knowing exactly what is going on. If I had bought a tune from Allen, I'd have driven him batty inside 2 weeks. I am looking forward to being done, but with more than I could get from just bolting something on. I don't really know why I care about that, but I do.

Careful Detjoe -- sounds like you're getting the bug... :smash:

On the standard kits I don't see it being such a big deal to make power. All the F-body kits simply bolted on and tuning requires a little work but it's not that big of a deal if your tuner knows what he is doing really. I be it would require almost as much tuning to get a Radix to make that much power.

As for my lil problem. :(

Everything ran great when my mechanic drove it around and messed with it on the dyno. Everything was perfect on our test runs when I went to pick it up and I couldn't be happier. Even on the way home things were going good but I noticed a had a lil bit of smoke coming out of the truck somewhere and it didn't matter wether I gave it throttle or not, it was just there sometimes. Turns out I had a small leak from presurizing the crankcase and the oil was leaking out of the intake manifold and onto the drivers side header. Not a big deal.... yet.

On the long trip home I used up quite a bit of methanol so when I pulled over to get gas I added some water to the tank (didn't think it would make much of a difference at the time and didn't know that that was a no no if you are tuned for meth) :(

About 30miles down the road I tried to make the run I explained in my previous post and imediately after I saw a TON of smoke coming form behind me so I thought for sure I broke the motor. Turns out the filler cap had popped off and spewed about 5 quarts of oil all over the engine bay and the side of the truck. I filled it back up but at 3am my options are limted for cleanup so I limped it home under low boost to be careful. I got about 15miles from home and when to make a turn and the engine bay caugth fire from all the oil. Long story short, I didn't have a fire extinguisher so I ended up throwing a ton of dirt and gravel on the motor and had to rip the Vortec cover off the intake manifold which put a hole about 2" in diameter in it. My guess is some gravel made it's way into the combustion chamber because even after we clean everything up and replaced the main wire harness we tried to fire it up and it went lean really quite and made a funny noise. We tore the heads off and sure enough it looked like a beach in my cylinders and I had 2 cracked pistons with nice lil dimples :puke:

Now, How much damage I might have done from running high boost with mostly water in the methanol tank I am not sure so I may have hurt something there. How much was hurt from the wire harness being on fire while driving the truck (before I saw the flames under the hood) I don't know. Did I hurt anything driving for 5miles while 5quarts low??? Just too manny variabales for me to really know what happened. I'm used to melting pistons in my Mustang but I don't think I was at that point with this motor. Honestly I think it was just a simple crankcase evacuation problem that turned into a nightmare.

sounds to me like the high boost cracked the pistons and that caused the high crankcase pressure. that cap isn't a slip in and it must have taken some pressure to push it out. i'd bet the engine was broken long before the cap came out.

Archived