Winter Trans Cooler Block 0Ff?

Everyone(in cold regions) has seen the people with cardboard over their grilll in the winter to help the engine warm up. Would it be safe to put a cover over just the lower grill opening (on the inside so it's not visible) to help the trans warm up faster so it will get to 100 degrees faster? If I remember correctly, that's where the cooler is. I want overdrive to kick in faster to save MPG. Is there another option that would be cleaner and easier? Perhaps a valve you could install to turn on/off with the changing of the seasons? The only thing I could come up with is a T-fitting to bypass the cooler, but still allow the fluid to flow through the lines.

I have seen guys cover up half of the tranny cooler to help get temp's up. not sure if it really help's or not but might be worth a shot. i know what you mean trying to get the temp's up. i drove my truck last week and after a 10mile drive in town my trans didn't even get to 100 and it was like 45 out. good luck :pepsicheer:

I never have problems running mine even when its cold out. Its been -10f here for the last week and I've had no issues, just let the truck warm up for 5-10 minutes with the remote start and overdrive/lockup engages right at 45 as soon as I start driving. The trans temp gauges stay as low as it can go.... takes a long time for it to even think about touching 100 but it still works fine!

Yea matt I just heard from my fam y'all have had some nasty cold front for like 10 days now. Happen right after I left..lol not bragging but its been above 75 since I got to FL. Maybe warm weather follows. Haha ;)

I was told the trans doesn't shift into OD until the tranny hits 100 degrees. I know that's hard to see since our gauge starts at 100. Starting the truck and letting it run doesn't help fuel mileage. I loose about 2 MPG if I let it warm up that long. I have a 25 min drive to work and the OD doesn't kick in for 5-10 minutes. I notice about a 1-2 MPG drop in the winter. I attribute half of it to winter blend fuel and denser air (needs more fuel) and the other half to the tranny taking so long to kick in.

You could block off the cooler with cardboard. A better option is to install a cold weather bypass that bypasses the cooler altogether in cold temps (less than 30*).

Link:

TruCool cold weather bypass

I had one but chose not to install it. My high stall converter heats up the tranny quickly in any weather. :pepsicheer:

• 2 weeks later...

If you're worried about not enough heat you could by-pass the auxillary cooler so that the fluid only goes through the radiator which will in turn heat up the trans fluid using the engine coolant. As long as the engine comes up to the point of opening the thermostat it will heat up the trans temps. This is one area where the electric fans really come into play. Running a clutch fan always draws air in the radiator and past the auxillary trans cooler where as the e-fans will only do so when everything comes up to temp. Not only does the engine heat up faster when you use an e-fan, the trans does also.