Brakes

Boricua

Hi everyone. I have a 2006 Silverado 1500 SS. I have an issue with my front end/brakes. When I'm on the freeway and brake hard the front end shakes pretty bad. It feels as if the rotors were bad but when iI brake normally there is no shake at all. I just want to know if anyone elsa has experienced this issue. My truck only has 24,XXX miles on it. I was not expecting for this to happen on a truck with only 24,XXX miles. All suspension and wheels are original. Thanks in advance...

Harry

Any suggestions on aftermarket rotors that have been tried? Thanks...

Are you kidding me. Are they that cheaply made that with 24,000 miles they are already warped. Wow...extremely dissapointed. Thanks for the info.

found a good piece of info that i did not no as well

first off rotors do not warp. If a rotor actually was to warp it would cause complete havoc to the brake caliper. If you are feeling a vibration either in your steering wheel or in the brake petal it is caused from deposits left from the brake padson the rotor. This can be fixed by having the rotor turned at any auto shop. May be cheaper just to buy new rotor usually around $20-$25 a piece. If you have allowed the break pads to completely wear to the rivets this will cause etching in the rotor, depending on the severity of the grooves you may be able to just replace the pads.

rotors do warp. it only takes .0008 thousandths of an inch to create a brake pulsation. it can be caused by several factors over tightening of the wheels on the vehicle, shall i say HEAVY braking, or hot rotors and going through a water. try to put your hand by the brakes after a spirited driving session but don't touch unless you want blisters on your hands.

Considering the milage, and how old your truck is I would say that would be expected. My stock brakes lasted up to 64k, but has been in storage since 2008. I have no complaints about the stock setups. Ive heard and been told by a couple mechanics that own these trucks and have BBK's that the BBK's will rott or worp quicker than the stock Delco's/Durastop.

Ive spoken to guys on here with 120k miles on their stock brake setup from factory. Is your storage area very moist? I think it might just be from not driving it much, which is highly respected to keep it a low milage SS but the rotors are going to rot or worp sooner or later with minimal driving.

Just my 2 cents from the research I have done about brakes, I was thinking of doing R1 Concepts, EBC, and multiple other brands but Im just going back to stock with some upgrades like S/S lines and Motul Brake Fluid.

If anybody out there is having trouble going through rotors, here is a company my dad deals with in MN here.

http://www.frozenrotors.com/

The freeze the rotors and make them super hard. Yes, I thought it was a joke but my dad sold them to a guy with a F-350 who consistently towed 5+ ton loads and went through pads and rotors every 6 months. He has had these frozen rotors on for a year and a half now (replaced pads once) and has never had a problem.

Cryo treatment has been around for awhile. Its pretty neat and fairly inexpensive to have done. Racing teams/builders have been using it for awhile. It basically relieves residual stress in the metal by aligning the molecules using nitrogen to around -300 to -450 degrees ( im no expert just something i read). There is a place in MA that does it. They have a complete price list online from rotors to engine blocks, pistons anything really. My link check it out its a good read