High Horsepower Handling Transmission.

Its Daniel, use it at you're own risk.

I will agree with your comment on most members here will benifit from the light weight of a 60 more than an 80 as these trucks are heavy to begin with. Therefor using a reputable builder such as FLT would be a great asset. The percentage of members on this forum and other forums have the best experience with an FLT unit more than others. At least from what I have seen. It leads to the old saying, you get what you pay for.

I personally have had issues with my 60 unit that I built but I cant say they are usual failures. 1st failure, spun forward sprag. 2nd failure, pump rotor. 3rd failure, another spun forward sprag. One of those 3 failures isnt due to abuse but I cant understand why I would go through sprags like I am. And to blame it on being a builder issue is questionable. Although I have an excuse for the 3rd failure I wont go into detail unless wanted . Either way, if I would do it again I would of went with an 80 and not have to worry about it........as much. A transmission is still a transmission what its said and done.

To the OP, it will depend on your goals you want to which trans setup is recommended.

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

Its Daniel, use it at you're own risk.

I will agree with your comment on most members here will benifit from the light weight of a 60 more than an 80 as these trucks are heavy to begin with. Therefor using a reputable builder such as FLT would be a great asset. The percentage of members on this forum and other forums have the best experience with an FLT unit more than others. At least from what I have seen. It leads to the old saying, you get what you pay for.

I personally have had issues with my 60 unit that I built but I cant say they are usual failures. 1st failure, spun forward sprag. 2nd failure, pump rotor. 3rd failure, another spun forward sprag. One of those 3 failures isnt due to abuse but I cant understand why I would go through sprags like I am. And to blame it on being a builder issue is questionable. Although I have an excuse for the 3rd failure I wont go into detail unless wanted . Either way, if I would do it again I would of went with an 80 and not have to worry about it........as much. A transmission is still a transmission what its said and done.

To the OP, it will depend on your goals you want to which trans setup is recommended.

I was having fun with this Brian, but i agree with that. FLT does seem to have a great rep around these parts. I also have no idea why your going through the parts you are, and i don't know if its a builder issue either. And your right an 80 is an easy way to.....get piece of mind, so to speak, but i just can't deal with the losses of the 60 foot and hp. That however comes down to personal wants, the most hp and lowest ET you can get, or piece of mind with some sacrifices, and those can't really be argued because each person is willing to deal with different things.

:cheers: drink up bud

So you think your the only ones drinking eh? :jester::cheers:

Long story short about my situation Brian, Ive been trying to decide what is best for me but time is on my side due to shoulder, elbow and wrist surgery.

I want paddle shifters so bad, but not probably not worth it; 500hp to the wheels sounds nice so I can keep up/beat those Srt-10 Rams and Lightnings. Theirs a member on here who has worked on my truck with the original owner from 03-05, and then I met him and hes my guy for the truck. He is the GM tranny guy (has his own shop now). So I will trust him as he hasnt steeered me wrong and I will keep a small circle of old school members in my future build.

Sorry to hijack.

:peelout:

Are you talking 500 to the wheels or crank? Last time i dyno'd i put down 504 to the rear wheels through my built 65. One of the moderators here is running high 10's on his built 65. Both of us use finish line transmission out of IL, but there are other shops like rossler.

I'm want to get 500+ to the wheels. And thanks for all the info, everyones been real helpful.

Hmmm IDK about that... Options are to get a built one shipped up, or go to northwest auto parts and buy a used one. They have them in stock.

sry the guy that i called there said he had no idea what i was talking about and didnt mean to sound like a dick

yeah well looks like someone hasnt put much effort into it

yeah your right i didnt i only called two places it was more imo but i was wrong my bad

sry the guy that i called there said he had no idea what i was talking about and didnt mean to sound like a dick

yeah your right i didnt i only called two places it was more imo but i was wrong my bad

Check out Car-part.com select like a 2003 Silverado 2500, then select transmission in the drop down list, set location, and then search, select 6.0L and then it should list out the 4L80E transmissions that Northwest has in stock and the mileage on each one. Hope that helps.

This thread really taught me a lot..... My take on the whole thing is an easy decision: Gotta have an 80 so that I can worry less and do it right the first time!

I'm glad you were able to see both sides of the coin and make your decision with all the information presented. I hope we can have a lot more of these discussions on this forum and help keep it interesting for every one. Sometimes playing devils advocate can make for good conversation

Check out Car-part.com select like a 2003 Silverado 2500, then select transmission in the drop down list, set location, and then search, select 6.0L and then it should list out the 4L80E transmissions that Northwest has in stock and the mileage on each one. Hope that helps.

yeah sweet thanks a lot