How-To - Clean Fuel Injectors On The Bench

2bfast

With a few posts I have seen about buying used injectors and having an experience myself I thought I would make a HOW-TO thread on cleaning fuel injectors that have been sitting for awhile off the vehicle.

A lot of times modding your vehicle with it being a car or truck will lead to have to upgrade your fuel injectors for proper fueling. You will find every now and then a for sale thread on used 44lb delphi injectors or other types for LS applications. Picking these units up for half the cost of buying new is a plus, but can be questionable at the same time.

As most of you know, gasoline goes bad the longer it sets. When you take an injector with all the small workings inside and let it set after being used it will gum up and possibly stick. Thefore when you install these used injectors you take a risk of one or more sticking causing dead cylinders upon start up.

With all that said I will take the time to show a quick and easy way to lube and free up possible stuck injectors before installation to prevent this situation.

I am using a set of factory delphi injectors that arent modified for the demonstration. These were my factory injectors from my truck with 38k miles on them. They were removed in 2009 and havnt been out of the ziploc bag until now. Thefore these would be good canidates for demonstration.

DSC03239.jpg

I am using a regulated DC power supply from a friend of mine. To be honest, this was the idea of a good friend of mine and a member on this forum (shadetree) and I am passing this on to you. From what he said, you can find these cheap at Radioshack, ect.

DSC03238.jpg

You can use any test leads but I am using double aligator clip ones. I used these mainly for ease of demonstration. You can pick these up at radio shack as well.

DSC03240.jpg

I am using carb/choke cleaner from o o o o reillys. Seemed to work fine. You can use straight gasoline as an alternative if you like.

DSC03241.jpg

Fill the top of the injector with whatever lube/cleaner you choose

DSC03242.jpg

Hook up your test leads to your power source and to the terminals on in the injector. Use one of them to touch the other terminal and pulse the cleaner through the injector cleaning it. Try not to hold it to long but just pulse. You might have to do this several times

DSC03243.jpg

Here is the results of an injector sitting for almost 3 years and what came out of it

DSC03244.jpg

Please note, most 44lb and up wont be sitting for this long. But even buying a set sitting for a month wouldnt hurt this treatment before install. Its easier to this than having to remove the fuel rail and remove the injector everytime.

Again, to some this is novice information but to guys on a tight budget buying used injectors this is something I would look towards doing

Happy modding

(mods are welcome to make this a sticky)

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

• 7 years later...
  • 3 months later...