Laptop Question

tonycillo

i am looking to get a new laptop to do some gaming, anyone with some good knowledge about laptops can you give me some thought about these specs.

• Processor: Intel Core i7 2630QM Processor (2.0GHz, 2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
  • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
  • XPS L502X
  • 320 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
  • 6 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
  • 8X DVD +/- RW Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT540M 2GB graphics with Optimus

You have 2 processor speeds listed (2.0GHz, 2.8GHz). Definitely go with the 2.8GHz. What about the display? I went with an HP, with a 17 in. display, also an i7 processor. I'm not much of a gamer. but I like a speedy PC.

well i dont have 2 listed it has turbo boost that if the pc need more speed it will over clock itself to 2.8

i am looking to get a new laptop to do some gaming, anyone with some good knowledge about laptops can you give me some thought about these specs.

• Processor: Intel Core i7 2630QM Processor (2.0GHz, 2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
  • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
  • XPS L502X
  • 320 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
  • 6 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
  • 8X DVD +/- RW Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT540M 2GB graphics with Optimus

Hey re04supersport, I am an IT guy for a living. And also a Dell reseller. I have one of these laptops personally that i use for gaming and i love it. Although i will say it would be best to go with a little faster i7 processor and get a faster hard drive (7200 RPM). I know how much these laptops cost and its best to do it right the first time. And in the long run its cheaper to order it with it than get them later.

I personally would avoid the Dell, but that’s just me. I don’t know anyone who like there Dell, regular Dell or XPS.

I have owned 2 Aliewares and they were both good computers, but one was much better than the other. The first one was an amazing computer for the time. I bought it in 2002 and used it all the way through college with no problems. Then in 2007 I decided to buy another Alieware, well in 2006 Dell bought Alienware and they started mixing parts. I had to have my motherboard replaced under warranty within the first year and then it went out a couple years later. Alienwares use to be awesome but since Dell bought them out they have gone down hill. But they are still probably the best Gaming computer you can get without custom building your own.

Alienware is owned by Dell yes. But dell doesnt make the parts for the Alienware line. Alienware is a wholly owned subsidiary of Dell, continuing its own brand, design, sales and marketing, and support. All im saying is the XPS model is a nice "gaming laptop" alternative. Alienware laptops tend to be very pricey. I deal with Dell computers all day long and i will tell you i have no more or less problems with them than any other brand.

Dont expect to play much on that. Gaming revolved around 2 things. CPU and GPU. that 540 isnt going to be playing much of anything if at all on anything on a 1920x1080 or higher resolution meaning anything 17 inch or above. Laptops are definetely not made for gaming in comparison to desktops but I know people have needs for mobility. Alienware makes good gaming computers but they overprice you out the ass. I have an alienware m17x but I only bought it because I got it for 1k through aafes. Laptop gpus, while named the same as desktop counterparts, do not perform anywhere near the counterpart.

I'm not sure what your budget is but Id try and find something with a 6970/6990/570/580 gpu in it. 6 gigs of ram or more is fine, the 1333 isnt all that great but you wont really notice it being any slower than something like say 1600. Harddrive isnt going to affect your gaming performance, just the loading times. Most laptops today have the option for a SSD which are nice speedy. Size and weight is also somethign to take into consideration, some 18 inch laptops weight a hefty amount and require rather large backpacks to carry around. If you need anymore info let me know.

www.alienware.com

www.cyberpowerpc.com

www.ibuypower.com

www.sagernotebook.com

www.xoticpc.com

www.originpc.com

These are just a few off the top of my head. Dell now owns alienware, the guys who used to do alienware back in the day are now originpc to my knowlege.

EDIT: Darkness is correct, any pc will give you as much problems as any other. The selling point is warranty and tech support quality. Ill go ahead and throw it out there that alienware/dell have the worse in the industry when it comes to communication. If you have to call them be prepared to have a translator. Im sure this applied to alot of other companies but this is my experience with them.

Edited by Fors (see edit history)

Dont expect to play much on that. Gaming revolved around 2 things. CPU and GPU. that 540 isnt going to be playing much of anything if at all on anything on a 1920x1080 or higher resolution meaning anything 17 inch or above. Laptops are definetely not made for gaming in comparison to desktops but I know people have needs for mobility. Alienware makes good gaming computers but they overprice you out the ass. I have an alienware m17x but I only bought it because I got it for 1k through aafes. Laptop gpus, while named the same as desktop counterparts, do not perform anywhere near the counterpart.

I'm not sure what your budget is but Id try and find something with a 6970/6990/570/580 gpu in it. 6 gigs of ram or more is fine, the 1333 isnt all that great but you wont really notice it being any slower than something like say 1600. Harddrive isnt going to affect your gaming performance, just the loading times. Most laptops today have the option for a SSD which are nice speedy. Size and weight is also somethign to take into consideration, some 18 inch laptops weight a hefty amount and require rather large backpacks to carry around. If you need anymore info let me know.

www.alienware.com

www.cyberpowerpc.com

www.ibuypower.com

www.sagernotebook.com

www.xoticpc.com

www.originpc.com

These are just a few off the top of my head. Dell now owns alienware, the guys who used to do alienware back in the day are now originpc to my knowlege.

EDIT: Darkness is correct, any pc will give you as much problems as any other. The selling point is warranty and tech support quality. Ill go ahead and throw it out there that alienware/dell have the worse in the industry when it comes to communication. If you have to call them be prepared to have a translator. Im sure this applied to alot of other companies but this is my experience with them.

Fors is absolutely right about Dell tech support. But i get the same from HP and ACER as well. I have a designated team from Dell that i call from Memphis that i deal with.