New Changes To The Site

zippy

I'm really short on time with my job working me so many hours and with as many people as I help after work. Many of you don't know or understand, but on an average night after I get out of work I field 2-3 hours of tech calls from friends and many people I don't even know. Either way I'm making my best effort to improve the site and am looking for very serious suggestions. I spoke with the big dog's and we will likely be adding a new moderator or two. I plan to add alot more tech info, part number sections, and other helpfull things to keep those new guys from getting bad info. One big change though is to get rid of as much of the bad posters as I can. If you don't know the topic you are answering on be carefull how you answer it. I don't need guys answering transmission questions for example if you've never even had one apart and are only answering from what you've read or heard. Don't answer also if you haven't figured out your own. You can post a reply for your experience, but make sure it is known that you are also a novice. I am constantly fielding calls from people with questions based on what they read in replies to their posts of incorrect info. One faulse answer read by 1000 people makes for 500 that will believe that answer and post that same info in someone else's post as correct making a wildfire of faulse info. Either way, we love the site and people on it. We want to make this the best more informed site we can and help the new guys enjoy it as well as keep the old guys here.

Thanks,

Zippy

sweet Zippy :pepsicheer: although the new rules mean i can't post period any more..lol

I'm not trying to keep people from posting. There is a method to how something is worded and posted. You can share experience in how parts you've bought have served in performance, durability, and overall personal opinion. Too often we get people who know only what they have read or been told and will post information as if they have built the parts first hand. I've seen explainations of how torque converters work by people who not only have never even taken one out, but have only information to share from someone else who told them wrong information. I've seen comments from people on how good a product is as they go on and on to explain just how durable a product is because it's holding up so well for them in the 1 week that they've owned that product only to a couple weeks later share how that product is broken. A better way to post something like that would be "I bought product XXX because I've read or been told that it is the best part for XXX and so far I like it.

Some minor examples over the years.

One guy years ago bought Nology wires and spark plugs.He then went on and on how good they were and explained in detail how they worked (from what he'd read and been told by the salesman). From his post about 10 guys on here bought them with every one of them having to take them off because they cause horrible RF issue's with the stock pcm causing running problems, many codes, etc. He should have said I'm buying these and I'll let you know how well they work. Because he sounded so technical and confident many others bought them, installed them, and shortly thereafter took them back off.

A few on here have posted about injectors they purchased and how great they were not realizing until later how inconsistant they are or how they didn't come with any data. Injectors with no data are no good. Drilled injectors are even worse...

Over the almost 10 years I've been on here there have been many guys that have posted transmission advice is great detail. Commonly those guys are doing this over and over since their list of won't break that parts have broken. One guy on here was a transmission hero from his posts 7 transmissions of his own later on a 14 second truck. He did have some good advice, but after every long post of changes from the last setup came a story of broken parts that weren't strong enough. I had so many calls from guys with 13 and 14 second trucks scared to death that their transmissions were going to break because they read from someone's post that if you don't have this list of parts your transmission is just going to die at the first wide open throttle run. How many times I've read that the 4L65E is basicly a 700R4 which was never designed for this much power. The TH350 was void of pretty much anything making over 300FWHP and the absolute strongest full production motor put in front of the TH400 was the LS6 at a whopping 450fwhp a feat the 6.0L can achive with bolt on's and a very mild cam change. I'm not saying the TH400 or TH350 isn't stronger than the 65E it is just that the power they were built for isn't really that relevant. One of my customers with a GTO made around 100 dragstrip passes with his all stock 65E having a best run in the 11.2's. The Chevy High Performance truck made over 200 dragstrip passes with stock hard parts in the 65E. Rather than post after post of how bad these transmissions are lets get those who build them with success to post up help with builds or those who have bought transmissions that have held up for a while post up what is in their trans.

Tuning is another area. I have honestly seen someone recomending a tuner on how great he is all the while he's waiting for a pcm he ordered to show up yet. No experience with the product yet and yet will go in every post to tell about it. Whether it be spark plugs, pcm's, brake pads, stabilizer shafts, shocks, etc. My point to all is please do tell your experience with a product or service happy or not. Just don't go into huge detail on something you seriously didn't know about before you got yours or tell how durable your part is that you've owned for a week.

It seems most if the changes are for the technical side

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Feel free to make any suggestions you wish. This is everyone's opportunity to offer suggestions on anything that may encourage site visits, new members, correct replies, organization and overall enjoyment for the members to name a few.

:pepsicheer:

A suggestion I have is to improve the search function. By doing this hopefully it would stop all the re-threads. Maybe a disclaimer on home page to search 1st for what you're looking for. It just seems as if when you search you can't fnd what you're looking for also. There are specific threads I remember seeing, then search both through the home page search box and through the user's content and still come up empty. I'm sure that's a programming issue or maybe user error on my part in how I search. I also feel that techincal "stickies" with part #'s is an excellent idea like Zip has planned.

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

I'm not trying to keep people from posting. There is a method to how something is worded and posted. You can share experience in how parts you've bought have served in performance, durability, and overall personal opinion. Too often we get people who know only what they have read or been told and will post information as if they have built the parts first hand. I've seen explainations of how torque converters work by people who not only have never even taken one out, but have only information to share from someone else who told them wrong information. I've seen comments from people on how good a product is as they go on and on to explain just how durable a product is because it's holding up so well for them in the 1 week that they've owned that product only to a couple weeks later share how that product is broken. A better way to post something like that would be "I bought product XXX because I've read or been told that it is the best part for XXX and so far I like it.

Some minor examples over the years.

One guy years ago bought Nology wires and spark plugs.He then went on and on how good they were and explained in detail how they worked (from what he'd read and been told by the salesman). From his post about 10 guys on here bought them with every one of them having to take them off because they cause horrible RF issue's with the stock pcm causing running problems, many codes, etc. He should have said I'm buying these and I'll let you know how well they work. Because he sounded so technical and confident many others bought them, installed them, and shortly thereafter took them back off.

A few on here have posted about injectors they purchased and how great they were not realizing until later how inconsistant they are or how they didn't come with any data. Injectors with no data are no good. Drilled injectors are even worse...

Over the almost 10 years I've been on here there have been many guys that have posted transmission advice is great detail. Commonly those guys are doing this over and over since their list of won't break that parts have broken. One guy on here was a transmission hero from his posts 7 transmissions of his own later on a 14 second truck. He did have some good advice, but after every long post of changes from the last setup came a story of broken parts that weren't strong enough. I had so many calls from guys with 13 and 14 second trucks scared to death that their transmissions were going to break because they read from someone's post that if you don't have this list of parts your transmission is just going to die at the first wide open throttle run. How many times I've read that the 4L65E is basicly a 700R4 which was never designed for this much power. The TH350 was void of pretty much anything making over 300FWHP and the absolute strongest full production motor put in front of the TH400 was the LS6 at a whopping 450fwhp a feat the 6.0L can achive with bolt on's and a very mild cam change. I'm not saying the TH400 or TH350 isn't stronger than the 65E it is just that the power they were built for isn't really that relevant. One of my customers with a GTO made around 100 dragstrip passes with his all stock 65E having a best run in the 11.2's. The Chevy High Performance truck made over 200 dragstrip passes with stock hard parts in the 65E. Rather than post after post of how bad these transmissions are lets get those who build them with success to post up help with builds or those who have bought transmissions that have held up for a while post up what is in their trans.

Tuning is another area. I have honestly seen someone recomending a tuner on how great he is all the while he's waiting for a pcm he ordered to show up yet. No experience with the product yet and yet will go in every post to tell about it. Whether it be spark plugs, pcm's, brake pads, stabilizer shafts, shocks, etc. My point to all is please do tell your experience with a product or service happy or not. Just don't go into huge detail on something you seriously didn't know about before you got yours or tell how durable your part is that you've owned for a week.

I was only joking about not being able to post any more....I know what and understand in full agreement what your talking about