Should I Do Heads?

I am currently getting my TBSS intake and throttle body ported and wanted to get a mild cam with the install also. What I am wondering is if I can get heads for a decent price also should I? I am looking for something fun to drive as a daily driver. Only thing I tow is two jet skis and a small trailer with ATV.

Ported TBSS inntake and throttle body

LS2 timing chain

LS6 valve springs

Hardened push rods

212/218 low lift cam

Possible 243 heads?

Opinions?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by silverss05 (see edit history)

I am currently getting my TBSS intake and throttle body ported and wanted to get a mild cam with the install also. What I am wondering is if I can get heads for a decent price also should I? I am looking for something fun to drive as a daily driver. Only thing I tow is two jet skis and a small trailer with ATV.

Ported TBSS inntake and throttle body

LS2 timing chain

LS6 valve springs

Hardened push rods

212/218 low lift cam

Possible 243 heads?

Opinions?

Thanks for the help.

might as well your already gonna have them off anyways

You don't have to pull the heads to do a cam in the LS engines!

A set of 243's would be a decent upgrade. If you were to do heads I would look into a bigger cam to better use the bump in compression. Do you have an exhaust and other supporting mods?

Personally, I would do a slightly larger cam (224 duration range) with good springs, keep the stock heads, bigger injectors and a good 3000 stall converter with a big tranny cooler.

Just my opinion.

Going to 243's are only going to gain you in compression. Go for a cylinder head with a bit of a flow gain. The best way to gain power is an increase in flow. Try and find a set of well ported 243's, 862's, Trick flow 225's, etc. As for the camshaft, if you're going to bother with a cam use one big enough to be worth the change.

The injectors I have are the stock tbss injectors. I also have a TBTC. Maybe I should skip the heads and just get a bigger cam. Would the 220 220 cam work with the ls6 springs? This is my daily driver also.

The injectors I have are the stock tbss injectors. I also have a TBTC. Maybe I should skip the heads and just get a bigger cam. Would the 220 220 cam work with the ls6 springs? This is my daily driver also.

There is more than one 220/220 cam, what is the lift on the one you're referring to?

There is more than one 220/220 cam, what is the lift on the one you're referring to?

I'm not really sure. I guess I am looking for some help in deciding. I don't want to go real extreme since this is my DD.

I thought that the exhaust runner on the 243's flowed better than the 317's and the the 243's out flow the 317's from .500 on up. Not to mention the bump up in compression for more overall power, and better fuel economy.

Of course this is with a larger cam than what was planned to begin with.

Since youre application is a daily driver that 222/224 112 cam from Comp (XR275HR) is the one I'd also recomend. The main reason for that is the valve lift. The lift is only .566/.568 which with an LS6 spring should allow for over 100k mile valvetrain life. I would change the spring at the 100k mile mark though. If you want slightly more agressive I'd go with the 219/227 112 (269LrHR12) from Comp. That would give more torque for sure and a bit more hp. With that cam I'd recomend the Patriot Dual Gold springs which have a good life, but will likely need a valve job and guides by 100k.

Since youre application is a daily driver that 222/224 112 cam from Comp (XR275HR) is the one I'd also recomend. The main reason for that is the valve lift. The lift is only .566/.568 which with an LS6 spring should allow for over 100k mile valvetrain life. I would change the spring at the 100k mile mark though. If you want slightly more agressive I'd go with the 219/227 112 (269LrHR12) from Comp. That would give more torque for sure and a bit more hp. With that cam I'd recomend the Patriot Dual Gold springs which have a good life, but will likely need a valve job and guides by 100k.

Thanks for the information. I will look more into the 222/224 cam. Thanks again.