track ediquet

Xero

never heard of him... i wouldn't just barrell through the water box, that's just a way to get water everywhere. once you've both staged, there are three timed yellow lights and then the green, you want to go on the second yellow just before the third comes on. by the time your truck reacts to move the green will be on. this is how you get a good reaction time. remember, your reaction time and e/t aren't related.

i was originally red, than fer some readon turned yellow.....now its green WTF!

Why not just lose it completely and leave just the picture of the truck? It's too big no matter what color it is.

Try this link:

Drag Racing 101

A few things I can remember from my first time :

Find out if you need a helmet, some strips require it for all, or if you are faster than xx secs, etc.

Keep it between 1/4 to 1/2 a tank of gas. No need to slow yourself down by dragging the weight of a full tank of gas down the strip. :D

Figure out where the 1/4 mile ends. Sounds obvious, but sometimes there are several lines down there. It is good to know which one is the "end" ahead of time rather than as you drive down the strip :D

Remember, the clock does not start till you go, not when the light turns green, so don't get all freaked out about reaction time, the time slip will show the actual time it took to get down the track as well as your reaction time. Reaction time only really matters when you are racing the person in the next lane.

Pop the hood and let the engine cool off while you wait to do you next run. Cool is fast.

Chat with folks. Most people are friendly and will have lots of advice. Some of it may even be good :D

since i didn't know your truck was a stick, i'd have to say for your burnout, just let it fly in 2nd gear and spin them about 10 feet, but don't try to hold it back. that should be more than enough to clean them. you're also going to have to come out using the clutch to keep it from spinning instead of just letting it fly.

Dcairns list was pretty good. I'd add:

Get out of your car in the staging lanes and be friendly. Don't, however, leave your car for a long period of time as the line will move and people will get antsy.

Don't don't DON'T spin your tires on the line or anywhere but the burn box. Guys with serious traction problems will give you hell if you burn off all the track prep on the line.

Don't be one of those guys who gets antsy if you aren't moving up exactly when the cars move ;) It doesn't matter, you'll get to the line the same time if you go bumper to bumper or just park the car.

If you have a non-plastic intake tube or manifold, you can take some ice in a cooler and ice it between runs. If you do that, don't let water drip all over the staging lanes or those guys with big traction problems will give you more hell.

Have fun and don't worry about screwing up. No one expects you to be John Force your first time out and its more important that you have a good time than do everything perfect. After you run, you'll think of shoulda-coulda-wouldas that you can try out next time.

Archived