408 Stroker Or ?

Hello all,

New to the registering to the site but have looked through it for a while now. I have a 2004 SS Silverado AWD with hooker headers and intake. I'am not to savy with motors but, recently had the motor pulled and am looking at either buying a top end rebuild kit (Any suggestions), 408 Stroker or i ran across a guy who said i all i needed was LS6 Heads, LS6 Intake and a bigger cam??? I'am trying to achieve 400hp + and keep the cost no more than 4000.00 ....your guys/gals help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also want to have an all motor truck ..no turbo or supercharger..

I dont have experience in this area, but seems like alot of members have stroked their engine out to a 408 with nice results.

To take into consideration for the big dogs to help you with what you want, what are your goals?

Yes I am a little slow tonite, too many beers. Long Tubes, CAI, free flow exhaust and tune will net you around 400hp. The remaining question is do you want 400hp to the wheels or crank?

Yes I am a little slow tonite, too many beers. Long Tubes, CAI, free flow exhaust and tune will net you around 400hp. The remaining question is do you want 400hp to the wheels or crank?

To the wheels...i do not want to run spray..i have to redo the motor anyways due to it being shot i guess...no compression out of cylinder 1

I think the 408 will work. Once again I am not a tech in engine related stuff, just from what I have read. Yes spraying will get you their, but its all your preference sir. :pepsicheer::chevrolet:

ps. to get 400hp to the wheels will require a good spray and a tranny built to withstand unless you get it tuned perfectley. I have been told 450-500hp is the limit of the 4L65E's pending certain mods, some have had their tranny crap out at cai's and basic bolt-ons, others are running serious numbers with built trannys.

Part of this is all talk now from the dealership my fam has been going to for 40 years, not experience. They treat me well, but luckily I found a member on here who worked on my truck since I bougyht it, he is great with these trucks.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

4k will get you a stroker, but not much more. You will need and want more supporting mods for a stroker and that will put you in the hole about another 3k easy. Since your going to have the motor rebuilt, have them take it out to a 370, put some good pistons in it and mill your heads to get you to about a 10:1 cr. Get a good spec'd cam for your driving needs, and a good torque converter to match your cam. Also get your trans beefed up a little with a shift kit, servos. Get a good tune, and enjoy it.

4k will get you a stroker, but not much more. You will need and want more supporting mods for a stroker and that will put you in the hole about another 3k easy. Since your going to have the motor rebuilt, have them take it out to a 370, put some good pistons in it and mill your heads to get you to about a 10:1 cr. Get a good spec'd cam for your driving needs, and a good torque converter to match your cam. Also get your trans beefed up a little with a shift kit, servos. Get a good tune, and enjoy it.

Thanks guys for the help. Just got truck back from the mechanic. Anybody had any good luck with trickflow ...looking at there Trickflow 550 hp gen x top end kit for LS2.......sent them an email...just got to find out the price. http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS%2DK306%2D550%2D470&view=16383&N=400098++150+&orig=1 .....Once again guys thanks for your input.

The budget of 4k is a tough balance to hit, but if you shop around you can find a 408 shortblock for 3500-4000 by itself. With gaskets alone that would put you just over your budget. I have heard of a couple of companies building 408 shortblocks for 3200-3500. Do a 408 and re-use your current cylinder heads with a mild cam. You'll hit 400RWHP very easily with almost stock drivability even re-using the stock heads and such. This will also get you a bad ass short block in the truck for future modification. I say go for a 408 short block install with re-using everything stock except the camshaft.

Another option for going for that power with that budget would be a set of TFS225 heads, Yella Terra rocker arms, mild cam, and long tube headers. That will get you there and then some.

Another option for going for that power with that budget would be a set of TFS225 heads, Yella Terra rocker arms, mild cam, and long tube headers. That will get you there and then some.

Zippy, I'm also thinking of doing a similar build with TFS 225 Heads, were you talking about 65cc combustion chamber with a stock thickness head gasket or .041 thick gasket (what compression were you suggesting?) and when you stated mild cam are you suggesting TFS 220/224 Cam or there 216/220 Cam or a total different cam company and if so what small size were you suggesting?