Looking for a new computer.

BOB47

Going to get a new computer. Could use some ideas on what to buy. Brand? Operating system, memory, etc. I want something that I can play on-line games with and use my photo editing software without slowing it down so much. My current system is getting old and slow. It's a Dell with Windows XP. Any suggestions?

I work on and sell them for a living. Asus makes one of the best you can buy, they have a good warranty and plenty of power. A new laptop with Win 7, 4gb of ram, 15.6" LED screen, 320gb HD will run about $450. Lenovo (IBM consumer) also makes some really good stuff that is affordable and good quality. Acer is garbage, Dell and HP are hit or miss but their customer service is terrible.

Edited by Sneakystiffler21 (see edit history)

I can guarantee you a laptop that cost 450 dollars will NOT be playing any online games other than chess online.....If its a laptop your looking for, your going to have to step it up if you want one to play games decently. I laptop will always cost more than a desktop of the same performance. your best and cheapest bet is to make it yourself, its not that hard to put together aside from picking the parts out which is simple to do. Are these basic games you want to play or what? Photo editing isnt as demanding as video editing but still a decent CPU is a wise choice.

I am also looking for a new laptop. I talked to the local computer tech and he said as far as brands go, stay away from HP and Compaq. He had mentioned that Levono was a decent company. Apple is a great maching, but as stated above, they are very pricey. I think an Macbook Pro I looked at is about 2500. Same for the Alienware machines. I do not play games, but i want a decent machine. I am looking at Levono, Dell, and Toshiba. Samsungs and Sonys dont look bad either, but havent heard much about them either way. I was surpried to hear HP was garbage, but I hear they are. They own Compaq now, so they are about the same. Let us know what you get.

I can guarantee you a laptop that cost 450 dollars will NOT be playing any online games other than chess online.....If its a laptop your looking for, your going to have to step it up if you want one to play games decently. I laptop will always cost more than a desktop of the same performance. your best and cheapest bet is to make it yourself, its not that hard to put together aside from picking the parts out which is simple to do. Are these basic games you want to play or what? Photo editing isnt as demanding as video editing but still a decent CPU is a wise choice.

I'm looking for a desktop. Don't like laptops. The games we play are on King.com and sites like that. Sorta like the games on Facebook with better graphics. I do photo editing now and would like to watch and edit video also.

The only thing HP is good for is printers. I built my own. If you can turn a screw and plug something in then you can build your own. The price is better for what you get. Bought all my parts off newegg for around 1100$. I got Asus Crosshair Formula IV mobo, 4gb DDR3 Gskill flare ram, AMD Phenom II X6, 6970 graphics card, coolermaster hafx case, antec 750w power supply, Western Digital black 1tb hard drive, ocz ~128gb solid state drive, Asus 19 inch monitor, Logitech mouse and keyboard, and a BluRay burner. Overclocked running 4ghz. Shit is legit and I used to play world of warcraft, starcraft, modern warfare, ect. Sometime 2 at a time.

Now I understand you don't need something like that but just goes to show. And its a fun little project for one evening. If I was going to buy a prebuilt PC or didn't want to build it myself I would goto CompUSA and they are in with tigerdirect.com and will build you a computer to spec of your choice.

th_IMAG0294.jpg

th_IMAG0293.jpg

Edited by TampaVmax (see edit history)