Looking for a new computer.

BOB47

I understand you were voicing your opinion. And Apple are great computers. Do they support the software you are trying to use OP? Also is it in your price range? An alienware computer is way way overpriced but I guess so is Apple. Dell makes good computers but is still on the higher price point for what you would receive. Lenovo is fine. You can get any computer that has whatever name. As long as that brand uses good internals then you can't go wrong. This is why I am saying no Dell (well Dell is not to bad anymore) , no alienware, no Apple. You are just paying for the name on the front of your computer. Most of them are using the same stuff a cheaper off brand would.

IMO, a Dell desktop is the way to go, and I'll tell you why

1) a processor , is a processor, is a processor.. doesnt matter who you get from.. an i5 core is the same no matter which vendor you buy from

2) Ram.. see above

3) hard drive.. see above

4)motherboards.. Dell seems to use more industry standard ones.. HP, IBM, etc.. they "cheat" in making thier motherboards proprietary (for the most part), so I never believe thier specs

5).. price.. i have yet to be beaten on pricing a Dell compared to other vendors for the same machine.

6) Support.. i have YET to have Dell NOT meet thier support window.. HP has never met it.

All that said.. dont buy a pc from a name store.. order direct from the manufacturer.. like Dell. Ive had Dells for the past 16 yrs.. nary a single issue, (except the swolen capacitor issue from 2003, that hit EVERy pc maker around the world)

Personally.. I dislike MACs.. and to threadjack for just a quick second.. they are NOT vulnerable to viruses, malware, etc.. so dont be fooled by those statements. They just had a major out break that affected nearly a million users, called the Flashback virus.

What im saying is.. check the specs.. check the pricing, check the level of support you get, and get the best one that fits.

One question that hasnt been asked, is.. whats the budget look like for purchasing a machine? .. i mean the REAL budget.. 450.. yeah, not gonna get much in any capacity that will make you happy a year from now.. from ANY vendor.. 1,000.. yeah you can make an amazing machine with that.

Budget is around $1000. We bought the one we have now from dell directly which is how we prefer instead of Best Buy or some place like that. Just trying to find out if one brand is way better than another or if one is particullarly bad. Also what kind of processor? I assume there are many different ones. How big of a hard drive? How much memory? I have a 16mb camera that will also do HD videos that I may want to edit and most of my pictures will be in raw format. Thanks for all the knowledge so far.

Budget is around $1000. We bought the one we have now from dell directly which is how we prefer instead of Best Buy or some place like that. Just trying to find out if one brand is way better than another or if one is particullarly bad. Also what kind of processor? I assume there are many different ones. How big of a hard drive? How much memory? I have a 16mb camera that will also do HD videos that I may want to edit and most of my pictures will be in raw format. Thanks for all the knowledge so far.

Either a Core I5 or I7 is great like the above poster said or an AMD. In your case the Intel I5 or I7 would be better for video rendering and what not. A 1 Terabyte hard drive should do you fine, if you order from Dell then im sure you can upgrade. Solid State drive would also be very good as it has no mechanical parts and read and writes extremly fast (I only run my OS and 1 game on mine). Anything over 4-8 GB DDR3 is overkill in my book. I run a mean system and havent maxed my 4GB. If you do want to go more then go up to 6-8GB...anymore is just money in a garbage can (Make sure the machine can support more if you wanted to add.)

Looked on Dell's site. They dont ahve much to chose from but they actually have some great pricing. http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dxcwps1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=xps-8500

New XPS 8500 looks great for the price point.

Core I5

1TB 7200rpm HD

8GB ddr3 @1600

1GB ddr5 7570 graphics card

750.00$$

or same thing with monitor for 800$$

Everything seems awesome except for the graphics card. Unless you are a hardcore gamer that card should suit you fine though.

Looked on Dell's site. They dont ahve much to chose from but they actually have some great pricing. http://configure.us....del_id=xps-8500

New XPS 8500 looks great for the price point.

Core I5

1TB 7200rpm HD

8GB ddr3 @1600

1GB ddr5 7570 graphics card

750.00$$

or same thing with monitor for 800$$

Everything seems awesome except for the graphics card. Unless you are a hardcore gamer that card should suit you fine though.

That sounds like the one my wife was looking at. A strong possibility so far. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice. You guys are the best!!