front diff problem!

Just pulled the drain plug out of my front diff. the truck is now at the dealer. Found what looks like a piece of a sirclip (sp) about 1/2" long and a LOT of shavings on the magnet. 28000 miles on the truck

Also, I have westers tuning to help the shifts. I pulled the accumulator piston out and replaced it with the steel one. The plastic one looked new. I have had the tuning since 7000 miles.

They will have it while I am out of town for a while. I will post results when I get the truck back.

Chad

• 2 weeks later...

The "axle retaining clip" broke, and chewed up all the bearings. They are rebuilding the front diff for me. 28,000 hard miles. The gears looked good! I hope to have it back early this week, so I can test my King Kobra intake

Chad

UPDATE

just drove 30 miles back home on country roads. I don't remember the truck being that quiet before. I always remembered a little differential whine, thought it was normal AWD noise. It is now gone! The truck is VERY quiet!!

The rear brakes were shot, so they replaced the pads and turned the rotors and put it all under the warrenty. It is great to have a good service manager!

i drove my truck with the new york territory regional rep and he drove. he felt the vibration and heard the noice right away. then we get back to the dealership and he starts feeling my tires for even wear. he said the tires are wearing very good and even but on the front tires he felt a little scalping (he called it). so what he wants to do next it put on a set of smaller tires from an avalance and see it the noise goes away. i know that is not going to solve the probelm, but for some reason my dealership just won't go ahead and start replacing the front diff until they get the "ok" from him. What a crock.....

how can i pursuade my dealership that this is the problem and to just start fixing it?

i drove my truck with the new york territory regional rep and he drove.  he felt the vibration and heard the noice right away.  then we get back to the dealership and he starts feeling my tires for even wear.  he said the tires are wearing very good and even but on the front tires he felt a little scalping (he called it).  so what he wants to do next it put on a set of smaller tires from an avalance and see it the noise goes away.  i know that is not going to solve the probelm, but for some reason my dealership just won't go ahead and start replacing the front diff until they get the "ok" from him.  What a crock.....

how can i pursuade my dealership that this is the problem and to just start fixing it?

at the point you're at, not much you can do once he's involved.

btw, about that sig...... :nono:

I made them go ride in a new one and then in mine. It took 2 times with different people to convince them but they finally did it.

Best part is they thought it was the rear and the noise was traveling up the driveshaft so they replace it first. Then they did the front. Lasted about a month. Then they did the front again and since then no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i finally got it to the dealer today to swap out the stock tires and rims with any other regular silverado or avalance. And guess what, the noise was still there. The tech told the service advisor that it sings really loud. So the advisor then told the tech to pull out the front drive shaft. Well as soon as he did that, the noise was completely gone. So i am FINALLY getting a new front diff. It took a while but it is finally getting done. They should have the diff in 5 days. I can't wait.

• 3 weeks later...

Took my truck in this morning and told the service writer about the front dif. whine and that the only thing that would fix it is replacing the front dif. I also told him not to even think of telling me that it is normal AWD noise and that if the front drive shaft was to be removed the niose goes away. To my suprise he calls me about 5 pm and tell me that they are going to need to replace the front dif. He gave a 2004 extended cab Z71 loaner and it will be about 7-10 days to get the parts and how ever many days to replace it. they also are going to comply with the tailgate cable recall. Can't wait to get my truck back in 2 weeks.

Archived