Silverado SS Fuel Economy

slowfive0

I've seen all kind of results on this topic, but my fuel economy hasn't been all that great (12 city). If I drive it like there is an egg under the pedal (pretty hard for me lol) I can get 14 in the city. Hwy is all dependent on what speed. HUGE difference from 55 - 75. 55 will get me 17-18. 70ish more like 15-16. Much higher then that and it drops off fast (13-14). I really thought my tune was way off until I seen this article. Now I feel much better----they just suck on fuel economy - lol!

http://www.caranddri...est?redirect=no

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe so, but my other truck (2wd ext cab silverado) got 17 in the city and 20 on the hwy. Huge difference. I do love the AWD though since I live in MI. Just wish I got 15 in the city and 19 on the hwy.

I dont think you can put "Silverado SS" and "Fuel Economy" in the same sentence. I dont think anyone on here bought an SSS to get fuel economy.. LOL. We bought our trucks cause there rare as hell and bad ass!!!!

My 2wd Silverado had 3.73's and actually did better in city then my friends similar truck with 3.42's. Of course on the hwy he could get 21 if he really babied it. Higher compression actually helps fuel economy but the bigger cubes doesn't so kind of a wash. I think the extra weight and mainly the AWD is what really kills these in the economy department.

I hear you, but have to remember its AWD with 4.10 gears, 6.0L engine that has 10:1 compression so its gonna drink gas...But we all know ITS WELL WORTH IT!!!

That's not fair. I'm not saying I want 40 mpg, I'm saying that 12 mpg sucks! I drive 30,000 miles a year! Hell many of you don't even have 30,000 miles on your trucks because you use them more for pleasure vehicles (obviously not everyone). If I got 16 in city, that would be a HUGE improvement. I bet a 2wd version could get 15-16 in city. Anyone have one and if so what are you getting?

If you want fuel economy get a prius. Can't compare apples to oranges

To a point. The newer trucks actually get decent fuel economy compared to these and their powertrains aren't all that different. 6 speed seems to help quite a bit and being able to turn the 4wd off has to help---lol! There are a ton of mildly warmed up diesel trucks (wayyy heavier) that get 17 in city and run out quite well. But then you get into the higher maintenance costs and it evens out a little.

Yep, you gotta pay to play! LOL

I'm with you there. I love being able to run low 12's and take out most vehicles I run into on the streets yet still get stock like fuel economy when I drive good. Of course the utility of the truck and room (I'm 6'8") really helps too! They are bad ass!!!! I'm hoping they bring a new SS version out in 2014.... ;-)

I dont think you can put "Silverado SS" and "Fuel Economy" in the same sentence. I dont think anyone on here bought an SSS to get fuel economy.. LOL. We bought our trucks cause there rare as hell and bad ass!!!!

Holy crap! 16.2 city? Or all around? Heavy "footed" driving? Or heavy stop and go?

My average is 16.2 right now. And that's with pretty heavy driving during the weekends.

Edited by slowfive0 (see edit history)

Lol I'm just funning with ya. I got about 13.5 when I was just cammed and stalled. You say you're getting 12? There's lots of factors for fuel economy, weight, gas quality, tuning, tire pressure, spark plugs etc.

To a point. The newer trucks actually get decent fuel economy compared to these and their powertrains aren't all that different. 6 speed seems to help quite a bit and being able to turn the 4wd off has to help---lol! There are a ton of mildly warmed up diesel trucks (wayyy heavier) that get 17 in city and run out quite well. But then you get into the higher maintenance costs and it evens out a little.

Hmmm, i dont know about that. I had a 2009 z71 4wd w/3.73s and 4-speed and only averaged about 15mpg. Then had a 2010 z71 4wd with 3.08s and 6-speed and surprisingly got about the same. My 2011 LTZ was the worst of the 3 newer trucks, with the 6-speed, 3.42s, 20" wheels and got about 14.5 avg. All had the 5.3l and 4x4, ext cab, and i drive a mix of city/hwy. For comparison, I average about 14 in my 2004 SS. Not a considerable difference, in my opinion, for having the 6.0l, 4.10s, 4-speed, AWD, 20" wheels. Other than having to use premium. Dont miss the newer trucks at all other than the sweet LTZ interior! :cool:

A buddy of mine has a 2009 LTZ Duramax, and gets nowhere near 17mpg in the city. I believe he is averaging just under 15 all-around last i heard. Heavy truck of course, but....

Edited by dls4523 (see edit history)