Silverado SS Fuel Economy

slowfive0

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya, just saying. One thing that is actually hurting me the most is the stop and go with the stall. I guess it is what it is. I have 170,000+ miles now and will be doing a new engine soon. Thinking I may build a stroker and tone down the stall a bit. Might hurt it a little in the 60 foot but will be a better compromise with the city driving I do.

Lol I'm just funning with ya. I got about 13.5 when I was just cammed and stalled. You say you're getting 12? There's lots of factors for fuel economy, weight, gas quality, tuning, tire pressure, spark plugs etc.

Now, that is what I was looking for! Real world numbers and what better then the same person with 3 different trucks---lol. Thank you. Interesting results....

The 17mpg diesel example was two diffferent trucks of friends that are tuned and have bigger exhausts and cai. That is a best case/easy driving city number. They each get over 20 on the hwy. Best part is they get similar fuel economy to my truck towing! LOL! But they aren't as fast, cost way more initially & have much higher maintenance costs.

Hmmm, i dont know about that. I had a 2009 z71 4wd w/3.73s and 4-speed and only averaged about 15mpg. Then had a 2010 z71 4wd with 3.08s and 6-speed and surprisingly got about the same. My 2011 LTZ was the worst of the 3 newer trucks, with the 6-speed, 3.42s, 20" wheels and got about 14.5 avg. All had the 5.3l and 4x4, ext cab, and i drive a mix of city/hwy. For comparison, I average about 14 in my 2004 SS. Not a considerable difference, in my opinion, for having the 6.0l, 4.10s, 4-speed, AWD, 20" wheels. Other than having to use premium. Dont miss the newer trucks at all other than the sweet LTZ interior! :cool:

A buddy of mine has a 2009 LTZ Duramax, and gets nowhere near 17mpg in the city. I believe he is averaging just under 15 all-around last i heard. Heavy truck of course, but....

The 17mpg diesel example was two diffferent trucks of friends that are tuned and have bigger exhausts and cai. That is a best case/easy driving city number. They each get over 20 on the hwy. Best part is they get similar fuel economy to my truck towing! LOL! But they aren't as fast, cost way more initially & have much higher maintenance costs.

Ohh ok, well that makes sense. I have heard you can get pretty good mpg and power improvements with the tuners on a diesel, though I would assume you get one or the other!

Diesels are pretty amazing really. The newer ones kind of suck because of all the emissions equipment they've been saddled down with, but when properly modified, they make a ton of power and get surprisingly good economy. About 5 years ago, I was at the track and a Silverado 2500 4X4 Ext cab model made a pass. Went 13.90 IIRC. I was like damn, that's pretty good. Next pass was 11.90!!!!!!!! I was like "WTF"!!!! That was spraying propane and nitrous, but still surprising. There are a lot of guys running 12's and 13's no problem with great fuel economy to boot. There are also the crazy ones like Chase going much faster!

I like them, but I can't justify it at this point. I think a nice 408 or maybe larger ls motor with a TVS2300 will fit the bill quite nicely. Hopefully fuel economy is in the same range --- lol!

Ohh ok, well that makes sense. I have heard you can get pretty good mpg and power improvements with the tuners on a diesel, though I would assume you get one or the other!

My brothers 06 dmax gets really good mpg he also has a volant and bank 6 gun and PDA tuner. Magnaflow exhaust. About 22 on the highway at a little over 80. Plus pulls lawn eqp all day at 15 mpg

its always a retarded subject when people complain about mpg in a heavy ass truck with a big motor u cant have the best of both worlds my dude u have to give up something to gain something else . if u want mpg buy a prius or a elc car just saying in the grand skeem of thing ur saving money

If u read my original post, I wasn't complaining at all. I was actually happy that my truck is where it is with the fuel economy. It runs low 12's, has a moderate stall yet still gets the fuel economy it was rated at stock. I thought my tune was way off but I wasn't able to improve it so I was like wtf. now seeing the stock rated numbers I understand why.

Sorry, if u found my post retarded. Average fuel economy and power is up in these trucks. That didn't happen by chance or magic. Technology my friend.

I can't wait until we get direct injection.....it's already put in some vehicle lines

its always a retarded subject when people complain about mpg in a heavy ass truck with a big motor u cant have the best of both worlds my dude u have to give up something to gain something else . if u want mpg buy a prius or a elc car just saying in the grand skeem of thing ur saving money

NICE!!!!!

My brothers 06 dmax gets really good mpg he also has a volant and bank 6 gun and PDA tuner. Magnaflow exhaust. About 22 on the highway at a little over 80. Plus pulls lawn eqp all day at 15 mpg

I also believe the converter is not helping the mpg's, would you be willing to part with the Flowmaster's and swap to a different cat back? Might help out on some mpg's, but I completely understand if you like the sound of the 70 series.

Good luck with the new engine build when the time comes sir.