No Brakes

cwest94

So I took the SS out for a nice ride around town since the weather is beautiful here today and after a nice relaxing run at the park, I went to fill up the gas tank to head home. During my drive at 35mph on a 6 lane route (3 lanes on each side plus a left turning lane) I was in the far left lane minding my own business when some SOB in a newer F-150 blows through a stop sign at a shopping center and cuts across three lanes to cut me off. To avoid smashing my truck into his ugly POS, I slam on the brakes only to have my brakes blow and the peddle went right to the floor with all kinds of alarms and warnings flashing on the dash. Thankfully there was no cars in the right two lanes, so I swerved over to the right/middle lane to avoid hitting the jerk face and then throw the shifter into N with flashers on and was then able to get into the far right lane till I got into a Lowes parking lot.

What a scary thing having your brakes going out while driving. I never in my life want to have this happen to me again. Waited a couple hours till a tow truck came to take me and the SS to the dealer where my dad met me to give me a ride back to my house. So the service guy that I've been dealing with since I bought the SS brand new gave me a call a little while ago to give me the bad news on the damages. He said that the right front brake line blew open and he also said the master cylinder blew. He said that the brake lines are all in very bad shape and suggested that I replace all of them as the others are just on borrowed time before they go. The damages come to $1980 with parts and labor and after taxes, I am looking at $2120. What a kick to the balls this was.

And to make things worse, everything is closed for the holiday weekend, so he can't get the parts till next Tuesday at the earliest or maybe not till Wed. I feel sick to the stomach over this expensive bill and not seeing the SS sitting in the garage is real depressing. I put my DD into the garage and it just wasn't the same. It feels like one of my kids is gone. :tear:

ouch, that blows man. but at least youre safe. it wouldve been alot worse if your brakes blew and you still hit something. glad you made a safe stop but does suck to hear about the brakes. might be an opportunity for some stainless steel brake lines

Maybe it's just me but that seems like a lot of money to replace the brake lines and the master cylinder. New stainless steel brake lines should only cost a couple hundred bucks.

yea really High!!!!

i am a head tech at a shop and have done 5 silverados in the last 3 weeks for 700$ and thats all 5 lines(but this is with my flaring and making the lines)

This sketches me out considering my truck has been siting 3+ years.....I guess a complete (I cannot stress the word complete enough, every single part attached to a brake component will be replaced) overhaul is in for me.

I am glad to hear your ok and that your SS was not scraped, dented or the worst (totalled). I know how much your SS means to you with you being a long time member. I have respect for Ford frames (saved my life) but I have to admit Ive seen alot of idiots in the F-150 eco-boosts strutting around like their the fastest truck in the country.

If you happen to upgrade to bigger brakes please post the PN's. Also will you be going with all AC Delco parts? As I know GM has a knockoff brand now (I was told to go AC rotors but knockoff pads by my dealership).

Once again I am glad your ok, and your truck is as well (obviously nothing major like blown motor or tranny). Lets hope this full moon passes quickly.

The service manager just called me to say that they are going to start working on my truck today and should have things finished tomorrow. He said that the reason the price is so high is that they have to hand make all the lines there, that they do not buy lines from GM or other parts dealers. He said with the amount of labor that is involved, this will have such a hefty price tag. This all could not of happened at a better time for me. :(