Bolt Ons VS. STS

DirtySSouth

Ok....I didnt do much searching, and Im not sure how accurate my info is on this...but I was curious, can a naturally aspirated SS run with or even beat an STS Turbo's SS....here are my thoughts, with these bolt ons, and the est. HP's they produce, it should be around the same amount of horsepower as a turbo or even a supercharger.....would I be correct in saying if I got all of these bolt ons that it would run as well as a turbo in quarter mile or 0-60 times?

VR-King Kobra Induction- 10 hp

VR Velocity Stack - 5

BBK 80mm Throttle body-10

Other Guys Headers - 35

PCM4Less - 25

Torque Converter - 30

total Hp's- 115 with bolt ons......

Jk

You can't add up HP like you are trying to do. It doesn't work that way. You'd be lucky to see 30rwhp from those things.

If you wanna compete with forced induction you had better plan on a beefy cam and maybe some head work PLUS all the basic bolt-ons :)

From the tune alone you will see close to 30hp, you will probably see closer to 20 with those headers, and you will LOSE hp to the wheels on a dyno from a stall. You will most definately not gain any hp from it although your truck will still be faster. Also, you will gain just as much from a P&P on your own TB as a bbk which I will help you out with if you would like, and it would be free. Also I don't think that the VR velocity stack, and the BBk throttle body would work together. You would definately want to get a shift kit too.

I do agree with F8L Z71 that if you want to make the same power as an STS kit you would need a cam, but it really wouldn't have to be a big one. You could go with a small cam as long as you did a good job deciding, and could get a good power gain out of it. Also with all of those mods and a cam you would be just about maxing out your stock injectors. you would probably be fine, but if you did much more power mods you would have to get some bigger ones.

I would say with all of those mods minus VR velocity stack dependant on what stall that you could probably pull about a 14.2 at HRP on a decent day

Aaron

:withstupid:

Its really hard to compete with anyone running a forced induction system w/ just simple bolt ons. In order to run N/A vs. SC or turbo you'd have to look into doing some major work to the engine.... and with the hassle it'd probably just be easier (and cheaper) to go with forced induction.

If you can't beat 'em ...... join 'em! :ughdance:

BTW: Weren't you the guy asking about 26's on a 2/3 drop'd SS? :confused: If your so concerned with cramming the biggest rims under your truck that you can the last thing you should be thinking about is running with an STS truck. Hell, you'd be lucky to run w/ another stock SS with rims that big and heavy.

It is possible for a NA motor to take a STS truck. The STS would have to be in it's base form though, or not much above the normal 5-6psi.

But, that NA truck would probably have to have a H/C package, headers, tune, intake, e-fans, and stall. It would be pretty close, I think. That H/C pkg would have to be a least a stgII, if not III. Just my guess.

i wish Jonathan, would get to the track and run his truck. he fell off of the boards as soon as it was done.  :banghead:

I don't understand what you mean. Jonathan ran his truck at KS. He hasn't done much to it (alky system) since then. His is not the one to look at for STS times. He has a couple of things working against him. One being them heavy ass 22's and the other being his trucklid.

F8L's truck weight and drivetrain are extremely close to ours. If you want to have something to compare to for a STS, then I'd be comfortable comparing to his. His is a Z71 ext cab, and he is launching in 4X4 mode. It doesn't get any closer without being a SS.

From a guy who has done both a high HP NA car and an STS kit, there is no way the mods you've listed will compete with an STS.

My 92GT ran 12.86 on motor alone and could beat FI guys if they were relatively stock, but that motor cost close to $7500, and all the FI cars had to do to drop me is change a pulley or do a few mods of their own...

My last torque reading from HPT (which according to HPT is +/- 1% to their local dyno, but is a calculated number so salt liberally) was 558 ft/lbs at 7psi. To get 558 ft/lbs from a 380 ft/lb motor, you definitely need H/C as has been mentioned, and as Ben said, you're probably talking a p&p too.

Eek! Don't use me as a comparison yet. Hehehe I am heading back down to the shop to have a buddy work on the tuning with me and see where my MPH dropped off at, after that we will lean this thing out and start trying to make some power. THEN you can use my truck for comparison sake. Until then I am running too weak to be a good sample. :(

well, you can't use f8tl since his is intercooled now and has meth injection. to compare would be a full bolt on truck with injectors, stall, and good programming compared to a turbo truck with sts, stall and good programming. an sts using meth injection and an intercooler is going outside of the kit. if you allow meth injection in the comparison, you need to allow a small nitrous hit added to the n/a truck. f8tl, as for your truck running poorly, you really shouldn't that upset about it, you're running damn hard and the fastest truck sts time i've seen yet. keep up the good work man. :thumbs:

well, you can't use f8tl since his is intercooled now and has meth injection. to compare would be a full bolt on truck with injectors, stall, and good programming compared to a turbo truck with sts, stall and good programming. an sts using meth injection and an intercooler is going outside of the kit. if you allow meth injection in the comparison, you need to allow a small nitrous hit added to the n/a truck. f8tl, as for your truck running poorly, you really shouldn't that upset about it, you're running damn hard and the fastest truck sts time i've seen yet. keep up the good work man.  :thumbs:

I disagree about the NOS issue -- NOS is a power adder, meth is an intercooler with a small benefit to fueling. BTW, the meth injection is an option to the STS kit, but shouldn't be considered part of the base kit. I agree with Zippy that we should be comparing a base STS 5 psi kit (but with whatever turbo STS would sell and Brent taught them to not allow crazy turbo size upgrades :jester: ) to the bolt on NA (without NOS). That was my assumption in my post above.

Archived