Install help or suggestions for install 2 DIN DVD reciever in our truc

MARTYW

Hey guys, getting close to buying my 2 DIN head unit in my SS. I am considering installing it myself. I have always had my car stereo stuff professionally installed, but I think I may try it myself. Any of you installed yours? Any suggestions or any obstacles to look out for? Is it all pretty straight forward? Any insight would help. I am mechanically minded and like working on the truck, but I generally dont mess with wiring much. Thanks in advance for any input!

I installed mine myself. Took most of the evening but it wasn't difficult. If you do it yourself, just make sure you do it correctly and solder/shrink wrap all connections. Do as much as you can on the bench so you can minimize time in the truck. It is much easier working on a bench than in the cab of the truck. You will meed an adapter to integrate the Bose and chime system into the truck. Most seem to use the GMOS-04 and you will also need another adapter to retain the steering wheel controls. Most seem to use the PAC SWIS adapter. Also, to make the double din receiver fit, you need to trim the plastic bracket behind the radio. None of it is hard, just tales time to do it the correct way.

Edited by 90zxdriver (see edit history)

I installed mine myself. Took most of the evening but it wasn't difficult. If you do it yourself, just make sure you do it correctly and solder/shrink wrap all connections. Do as much as you can on the bench so you can minimize time in the truck. It is much easier working on a bench than in the cab of the truck. You will meed an adapter to integrate the Bose and chime system into the truck. Most seem to use the GMOS-04 and you will also need another adapter to retain the steering wheel controls. Most seem to use the PAC SWIS adapter. Also, to make the double din receiver fit, you need to trim the plastic bracket behind the radio. None of it is hard, just tales time to do it the correct way.

Couldn't have said it better myself, I'm using the GMOS-04 as well and it sounds great and I'm using a PAC steering wheel control adapter but I forgot which one.

X2 on this. Biggest thing is wire up the whole harness to radio harness ahead of time. Make good connection with either solder or wire nuts like stated and tie wrap it all in a group just to be pretty and if you ever have to remove it it will be nice and neat.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I myself would use Solder as wire nuts can come loose and the last thing you need to do is fry something or cause a fire. The GMOS 04 harness is pretty easy to wire up. The steering wheel controls by PAC ( also use it) is easy as well. The directions are straight forward and its easy to program. I had to remove some of the fiberglass behind the radio as my radio was deep and that got in the way. Otherwise that was the hardest part. It took me about 2 hours form start to finish. Im a perfectionist so im sure that didnt help. Dont forget to buy a antenna extension...And a good ground..... I used one behind the radio.

All great advice fellows. Thanks. Does anyone happen to have the step by step instruction that crutchfield sends out with their orders? I would buy from them, but they are so overpriced, I plan to order from amazon.

The harness/radio you buy no matter where you get it will have instructions. Amazon is where I got all my stuff for a fraction of the price.

X2. It's extremely easy as long as ur not color blind.

Also if you are going with the 8400bh. This will allow you to play movies, music videos, and DVDs while driving ans not being in park. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007QE03IM/ref=mp_s_a_1?pi=SL75&qid=1352955072&sr=8-1

Also is very legit. I don't even have much music in the truck. I just have a flash drive with a shit ton of music videos.

I agree with using Metra, Its a perfect fit.

As for buying the harness for the ovveride. Just do what i did and do this. Alot easier and cheaper. It works like its supposed to. Skip to the 2:30 mark. Its not the exact radio but it will work on any of the DVD head units.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDGZEZrUdRo

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

The 8400bh needs to have a double power trigger so it needs power, no power, then power and hold. Installing a basic relay will not work and you will end up having to remove the headunit and put in the piece I have linked.

Any other head unit. Blown has the way to go. That relay is legit. Some head units will allow you to connect the parking wire to a simple ground and they will work. This is not the case with any pioneer unit.

Edited by TampaVmax (see edit history)