What should I save up for?

j4nash

I have been thinking about maybe a rocker arm package with new springs and mild cam and also a torque converter that stalls around 2600-2800.

Or maybe a S/C like a Radix

What do you guys think would be better for the money. I would have to save up longer to get the S/C.

Rockers will increase valve lift. If you are buying a new cam, just buy a cam with the valve lift you want. Then you don't need the rockers and you'll save some money. Rockers are good when you aren't changing cams or cant get the right lift from an available cam.

You'll be pretty happy with a converter and cam to begin with, and you'll save $3000+ from the cost of a Radix.

Rockers will increase valve lift.  If you are buying a new cam, just buy a cam with the valve lift you want.  Then you don't need the rockers and you'll save some money.  Rockers are good when you aren't changing cams or cant get the right lift from an available cam.

You'll be pretty happy with a converter and cam to begin with, and you'll save $3000+ from the cost of a Radix.

:withstupid:

I have been thinking about maybe a rocker arm package with new springs and mild cam and also a torque converter that stalls around 2600-2800.

Or maybe a S/C like a Radix

What do you guys think would be better for the money. I would have to save up longer to get the S/C.

I just went throught the same thought process. I was thinking of going the N/A heads+cam+boltons+converter route which no doubt will show some good gains. The downside is that in my experience with LS1 engines (previously in F-bodies) with stock cubes to get to 400+ rwhp you're going to have to move your powerband up in the RPM range and sacrifice some lowend torque and driveability, important in big heavy trucks like ours.

The logical next step up is a stroker like a 408 or even a 427, which would be a sweet setup but pretty pricey once you get everything you need including a good heads and cam combo. Instead, this time around I decided to go the F/I - S/C route, and again because I want the instant off-idle response without even changing the stock stall, I went with the Radix. I have yet to install it but will let everyone know the results when I do. There are plenty of guys who have already had great experience with the Eaton/Roots blower on their late model GM trucks.

The bottom line is I am going with the Magnacharger with a 2.9" pulley and my only other mods will be a 160 t-stat, a K&N filter, a shift kit+servo and Nelson programming. I am hoping to see about 500 crank hp and mid 13's in the quarter and still have a docile daily driver. We will see what happens.

All the best with your decision - Jeff L. :seeya:

to have it done i believe some have paid around 350 to as high as 800. it kinda depends on who you have it done through. that is just labor and other parts not including the cam. if you did the swap yourself figure around 100 or so for gaskets, oil, etc.

Archived