Broke another piston with boost. pictures of broke ring land.

shawnss

yeah i would do a dual pump set up with a -8 line up to some aftermarket fuel rails into a regulator and a -6 line back to the tank from the regulator . the return line just returns the excess fuel that you dont use back to the fuel cell.but when your running 2 pumps there is allot of fuel rushing to the fuel rails and not all of it is getting used all the time so it needs somewhere to go and so you set your regulator at 58 psi or what ever you choose and the rest bleeds off keeping a constant pressure. some people use a hobbs switch but i prefer to keep both pumps running all the time so i know if one fails ill see the drop in fuel pressure on my gauge .

Thank you for clearing that up. I was thinking thats how it worked but wasnt 100% sure. but I do have a few questions.

So the -6 line would be the return line back to the tank right?

Is there a hole it the tank or pump the the fuel would return to or do I also need to add that?

would I also use some sort of a aftermarket fuel filter in the -8 feed line going to the fuel rails?

what dual pumps did you use?

what brand injectors did you use? do you like the injectors yo have or would you go a different brand?

Now for the big question??? What are you forging exactly??? 370/408?? Or just say fudge it and buy a LSX 454?? Unless you wanna keep it hush hush!! Lol I'm subscribing! Looks like a great build!

Btw Siemens deka! 60's should take you pretty far but if e 85 was available I would go 105's!

Edited by KrausMotorSports (see edit history)

I'm glad to see you tearing into your baby. It will be amazing when you get all finished with it like all of your projects. Definitely subscribed to this thread. And if you need any painting or dipping lmk haha.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for clearing that up. I was thinking thats how it worked but wasnt 100% sure. but I do have a few questions.

So the -6 line would be the return line back to the tank right?

Is there a hole it the tank or pump the the fuel would return to or do I also need to add that?

would I also use some sort of a aftermarket fuel filter in the -8 feed line going to the fuel rails?

what dual pumps did you use?

what brand injectors did you use? do you like the injectors yo have or would you go a different brand?

yes the -6 returns back to the tank from the regulator.

here is my fuel build on what i did. i switched somethings since then but for the most part its what i did. i em running walbro 255 pumps now thou.you might be able to get away with running a single walbro 400 since your not on e85 and save yourself the hassle of running a T in the tank and another hotwire back to the tank infact i would highly recommend running the 400 should be plenty for pump gas. http://www.silverado...l-system-build/

i would get some 80# injectors if you dont go e85 they will take you as far as need to go . i would even start talking to zippy about your tune , the guy is amazing at what he does. these are the 80# injector i had that zippy recommended and were a great injector.... http://www.racetroni...I114991&eq=&Tp= they are taller so you will have to space your fuel rails but thats not to hard im sure you can handle it.

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

yes the -6 returns back to the tank from the regulator.

here is my fuel build on what i did. i switched somethings since then but for the most part its what i did. i em running walbro 255 pumps now thou.you might be able to get away with running a single walbro 400 since your not on e85 and save yourself the hassle of running a T in the tank and another hotwire back to the tank infact i would highly recommend running the 400 should be plenty for pump gas. http://www.silverado...l-system-build/

i would get some 80# injectors if you dont go e85 they will take you as far as need to go . i would even start talking to zippy about your tune , the guy is amazing at what he does. these are the 80# injector i had that zippy recommended and were a great injector.... http://www.racetroni...I114991&eq=&Tp= they are taller so you will have to space your fuel rails but thats not to hard im sure you can handle it.

ok thank you. Ill look into the 400. I have PM'd zippy. he called me and I missed his call :banghead: cause I was pulling my motor. but I called him back and he was busy. he's going to call back whenhe gets time. as we know he is a very busy man. im not one to rush somebody when they are doing me a favor. Im willing to wait. thank you for all your time. its a big help. I'll start gathering parts here soon and go from there.

Wow that rats nest looks like my 300zxTT engine bay. Say, how much boost were you pushing on that pump gas? Any intercooler? Just curious as I think about turbo'ing my truck but I would hate to lose gas mileage. Are you on stock injectors? Good luck with the future build.

Edited by matt 2k12 (see edit history)

Wow that rats nest looks like my 300zxTT engine bay. Say, how much boost were you pushing on that pump gas? Any intercooler? Just curious as I think about turbo'ing my truck but I would hate to lose gas mileage. Are you on stock injectors? Good luck with the future build.

I was only running 9lbs. yes the truck is inter cooled. Im running 42lb injectors they were a bit small for what I was doing. I don't really feel it was because of the boost the the piston failed. I think it was do to the tune. It had a old tune on it from the last motor that should have been updated. I was just to lazy. I have a life time tune so it wasn't even about the money it was more that I was a lazy ass and didn't want to mess with it. but thats what ya get when you do stupid stuff. Im not mad or upset. kind of now gives me a reason to build it. :jester:

Subscribed!

I think that the walbro 400 would be the easier way to go. I'm curious to hear one. They have a different motor in them than a 255. That I have. I wonder how loud they are. I also am out of fuel pump. I have all my fuel system parts and just need a new pump. So go get one and tell me how loud they are. I think the dual pumps would be a good idea if you are going to turn the boost up a bunch more. But I am at about 12psi with the 255 on a return system and my Fp starts to drop in third about 4k. I want to stick with a 2bar tune so I will max it out at 14-15 psi on the tune. How far do you want to push this Shawn?

Do you have enough turbo for the 408? That's my favorite part about my 370, Is the 76mm launches Awsome and it would just take a new turbo I think for the 408. Depending on how you want your powerband.

I think it would be cool to have a 408 turbo'd! Not many of them around.

Good luck Shawn!

Edited by Aksss (see edit history)

Subscribed!

I think that the walbro 400 would be the easier way to go. I'm curious to hear one. They have a different motor in them than a 255. That I have. I wonder how loud they are. I also am out of fuel pump. I have all my fuel system parts and just need a new pump. So go get one and tell me how loud they are. I think the dual pumps would be a good idea if you are going to turn the boost up a bunch more. But I am at about 12psi with the 255 on a return system and my Fp starts to drop in third about 4k. I want to stick with a 2bar tune so I will max it out at 14-15 psi on the tune. How far do you want to push this Shawn?

Do you have enough turbo for the 408? That's my favorite part about my 370, Is the 76mm launches Awsome and it would just take a new turbo I think for the 408. Depending on how you want your powerband.

I think it would be cool to have a 408 turbo'd! Not many of them around.

Good luck Shawn!

No I do not have enough turbo to support a 408. I think if i start pushing it hard on a 370 it would max out. so either way I'll be getting a turbo. but I'd rather get the engine built and then work on other things like a turbo and intake. Im more about getting the bottom end done right so I don't have to yank it again. I think the turbo will get me by for a awhile before upgrading. plus ill run lower boost until its tuned right and broke in. which breaking it in could be awhile sense I only drive the truck maybe 1500 miles a year and with a child on the way it will get driven even less.

I was only running 9lbs. yes the truck is inter cooled. Im running 42lb injectors they were a bit small for what I was doing. I don't really feel it was because of the boost the the piston failed. I think it was do to the tune. It had a old tune on it from the last motor that should have been updated. I was just to lazy. I have a life time tune so it wasn't even about the money it was more that I was a lazy ass and didn't want to mess with it. but thats what ya get when you do stupid stuff. Im not mad or upset. kind of now gives me a reason to build it. :jester:

I would say the boost... is the tune, relatively speaking. So it was too much boost resulting from a bad tune or old tune? What is wrong with 5-7PSI? Anything? Laggy? Weak? I am just looking at putting on like dual T28s or something small that will spool quick and I can keep stock internals and like I said keep decent fuel mileage. The truck is my DD... I already have a TT car. Maybe I will just go back with the spray on the truck... decisions decisions.

I would say the boost... is the tune, relatively speaking. So it was too much boost resulting from a bad tune or old tune? What is wrong with 5-7PSI? Anything? Laggy? Weak? I am just looking at putting on like dual T28s or something small that will spool quick and I can keep stock internals and like I said keep decent fuel mileage. The truck is my DD... I already have a TT car. Maybe I will just go back with the spray on the truck... decisions decisions.

"the boost is the tune" what are you talking about lol . the boost has nothing to do with tuning a truck. shawn stated that his tune wasnt tuned for his new set up and there for is why he thinks he lost the motor. if your going to put t28's on your truck i think that is going to be a big mistake as they would choke your motor.remember your in a 6.0 liter truck not a imprt the v8 is going to spool almost anything instantly .there is nothing wrong with 5-7 psi but why not push a lil more. these motors are pretty stout and with a good tune will go along way.

those injectors are too small...I wish we could get a modulated fuel pump to work like in the ZL1...I bet with a little basket modifications it would fit right in. I wouled try to contact Kurt Urban and ask him what you need to maintin your ride, his red truck had alot of good testing data fro mit and if I remember correctly it never broke.

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

"the boost is the tune" what are you talking about lol . the boost has nothing to do with tuning a truck. shawn stated that his tune wasnt tuned for his new set up and there for is why he thinks he lost the motor. if your going to put t28's on your truck i think that is going to be a big mistake as they would choke your motor.remember your in a 6.0 liter truck not a imprt the v8 is going to spool almost anything instantly .there is nothing wrong with 5-7 psi but why not push a lil more. these motors are pretty stout and with a good tune will go along way.

LOL apparently you think I'm some sort of idiot just cuz you threw a turbo on your truck one time, lol. Unless youre running an MBC, the boost is the tune, and even with an MBC, the boost is still a part of the tune. Period. I dont know what planet you could possibly be living on where boost levels are not considered part of the engine tune. I wouldnt want to push it any more than 7 because knowing a motor is stout doesnt mean its can handle 9 PSI daily, obviously, when it wasnt designed with this intention. As far as putting T28s on the truck having zero lag is the point. T28 style/size are great for 400hp turbos on 3.0L applications and are perfect for 3" intake and 3" exhaust piping. I see nothing wrong with 2 T28's, intercooled, with dual 3" exhaust in a true twin turbo setup. I could care less for some huge snail to take 10 seconds to spool. I currently own my 4th twin turbo race car so I have plenty of knowledge and experience in pressurized applications.