Boosting and Breathers

Mr.Scary

Run a vented oil fill cap with either one like Jon or you can buy a spectre one with the small plug on it. Drill a hole in the oil fill cap, push the spectre breather in the hole and secure it with JB weld on the inside. It is also a good idea to run a check valve in between the intake and pcv or a t-bird pcv valve. I have the part number for the t-bird valve somewhere or look at a great write up that Mr.P wrote.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is also a good idea to run a check valve in between the intake and pcv or a t-bird pcv valve. I have the part number for the t-bird valve somewhere or look at a great write up that Mr.P wrote.

If you still have a line running from your intake to the back of your dr. side valve cover, and your running boost. You Have to have something to keep from pressurized the crankcase. Weather it be a inline check valve(tried them) or a pcv valve. They all work. But you have to use something.

Run a vented oil fill cap with either one like Jon or you can buy a spectre one with the small plug on it. Drill a hole in the oil fill cap, push the spectre breather in the hole and secure it with JB weld on the inside. It is also a good idea to run a check valve in between the intake and pcv or a t-bird pcv valve. I have the part number for the t-bird valve somewhere or look at a great write up that Mr.P wrote.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Motocraft EV127 pcv valve for the Thunderbird turbo.

Direct replacement. $12 from the dealer.

Small Specter air filter from Autozone.

7/8" hole in the oil fill plug.

$12

I have this same breather. If somebody would like to purchase it from me I'd let it go. I bought it and it wouldn't work for me becuase my turbo sits to close to my oil filler cap and this wanted to hit the turbo. PM me if you want it. its new un the box. only pulled out once to find out it wouldn't work. its been sitting on my shelf for the last year or so, Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

Not to steal the thread but I have a question. I've been told on boosted motors if you run ford super coupe pcv valve and a breather (valve cover, oil fill tube, etc,) you don't really need a catch can is this true?

Not to steal the thread but I have a question. I've been told on boosted motors if you run ford super coupe pcv valve and a breather (valve cover, oil fill tube, etc,) you don't really need a catch can is this true?

On my truck, I have both and a catch can. I empty my catch can every other oil change. It always has some nasty sludge in it. Just saying.

this topic has SO many different answers and opinions lol... proper engine breathing and PCV oil seperation is SO important for a healthy engine most people dont realize how critical it is! from ALLLL the catch cans ive ever sold, installed, seen, whatever... the RX / RevXtreme products are great. they have a built in check valve (helpful since most all our trucks have NO PCV valves or anything like that), plenty of space in can, come in GM colors, and are great quality. another thing about catch cans that is usually overlooked is the most important function of all- the ability to not just catch liquid oil under high load, but catch oil VAPOR and transform it into liquid so the can will catch it, keeping it from building up in the engine/manifold. many/most catch cans do NOT have provisions for vapor, they are just that- a CAN :lol: we install catch cans on EVERY LSx build no matter the power level or NA/FI. i have pics on my tuning laptop of a throttle plate off a 2012 LS3 corvette, 71 miles on the car bone stock... the entire back of the throttle plate and housing are dripping in oil. so do you need one for boost? YES. do you not need one if your NA or bolt ons....? NO you should still run one. here is the link to the site, and that link has the proper catch can for roots blowers and other applications where the throttle DOES NOT see boost. for turbos, most centrifugal blowers, you need the dual check valve catch cans in order to keep constant vaccuum on the crank case to properly evacuate the harmful vapors.

so how should you set it up?

for boosted applications: you should use a breather on the valve cover of one side, evacuate from the other side/cover. this way you push/pull fresh air through for proper evacuation. HOWEVER, the use of a standard filter on a valve cover can and will push excessive crank case pressure to push oil through it in most cases, making a mess and causing yet another non-ideal scenario for PCV. so- oil caps with built in filters are also sold by RX, and also come in GM colors. the reason to use theirs- they have built in check valves, so air only goes IN not out... in this way, you stay "emission friendly", PCV works properly, and no oil seepage/mess. you DONT want to just throw a filter on the cover or oil fill cap. then, use whichever of the two types of catch cans is for your setup on the driver side, run from the valve cover, to catch can, then into manifold for evacuation. this is your best way to setup a PCV IMO :cheers:

for NA setups: basically the same setup as stated above- except you really dont need the breather, you can keep the vent from the airbox to the pass. valve cover like OEM. for the driver side/evac. side, you can use the single check valve catch cans; simply cut the hose between the driver valve cover and manifold, install catch can. this way you get a device that not only catches and collects oil, but transforms most oil vapor into liquid keeping it from building up in manifold.

keep in mind, its best to use nothing less diameter than 1/2" hose for the PCV system. 5/8" is usually ideal and more than enough. IMO 3/4" is totally unneccesarry unless you have a parachute on your trunk/tailgate :jester: i know that was alot of typing/rambling, hopefully someone finds it helpful lol. this is a largely misunderstood and talked about subject, just putting my .02 cents in :D

LINK to catch can

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

Good info here Kelley. I learned quite a bit here. I have a catchcan.com can. I am going to check into these other catch cans. Thank you very much!

glad at least one person read all of that :lol: those cans arent too bad, they work. those RX ones are just like the Cadillac of catch cans if there is such a thing :D

The Motorcraft part # from the dealership is no longer good in the ford parts database I found this out over the last week trying to hunt it down finally went to O'reillys and cross referenced it to a pcv334. Just so people know.