Won't idle in gear. Help!

ryanneugebauer95

I got my tune from zippy and got everything installed.. We did the relearns and stuff but we had to fight with it to get it to idle in park. It would just die. Then zippy told us how and we go it to idle. But the. When I tried to drive away the second I put it in gear it dies. Zippy said it might just need to learn for a few days but I just want to know if there's anything else there could be? It tries to idle in reverse but dies.. And it just dies right away when I put it in drive. Any suggestions?

I have never had a mail order tune. Anytime I have had my vehicles tuned (street Tune and Dyno) The car never has any problems. Once the tune is in the computer its in the computer. Im not meaning little things here and there. Going from a stock lS1 to a Pro charged LS1 with a cam, heads and full exhaust and never had any issue after the tune was done. It drove fine after the tune to this day. sounds like something isnt right.

The only problem i see with mail order tunes is without the car actually there they only change certain things that your mods call for. Since every vehicle is different, they wont react the same with as a car with the same mods you do and never have an issue. It sucks that you have to send the computer out again. Thats why I only have street or dyno tunes done to ensure the vehicle runs and acts right.

sounds like a problem I had only it wasnt after I did a tune. The battery went bad and I could jump it off and it would run but the second I put her in gear it would die. Luckily my co worker is a guru and he cleaned out the inside of my throttle body with some spray he had in his truck and shop towels and after that it worked just fine in gear after I jumped her off. I said what were the odds two things went wrong at the same time and he just said shit happens. So the tune might be fine, get out there and clean that tb and see if that helps.

From what i have read, heard and seen with tuning, The computer should be good to go right after a tune if everything is the way its supposed to be. Thats the problem with mail order tunes, one vehicle will be fine and another might need other changes. When they do the tunes, they tune for the modifications you have. Alot of them already have pre sets for the particular setups.

My buddy just bought a TBSS with full bolt ons. It ran like crap after the first mail order tune, sent out the PCM again and it was re tuned and supposedly fixed. The truck continued to idle rough, stumble and surge at idle. It would then die while going in reverse or drive at certain times. The tuner said the same thing, let the computer learn the tune. After 1000 miles there was no change. He went and had it street tuned and the fuel and air trim tables, shift points, and timing had to be changed. The computer learned the tune right after it was finished and no more problems. I dont believe the whole let it learn thing. The computer will do what you tell it to do period.

Clean the TB and maf and up into the manifold as far as you can get your hand. Dont just open the blade and wide it off, take the tb off and really clean it. Without a catch can on your truck im sure you still get a decent amount of oil residue in the manifold. I just talked to Mike a little while ago and he is going to be giving you a call soon.

From what i have read, heard and seen with tuning, The computer should be good to go right after a tune if everything is the way its supposed to be. Thats the problem with mail order tunes, one vehicle will be fine and another might need other changes. When they do the tunes, they tune for the modifications you have. Alot of them already have pre sets for the particular setups.

My buddy just bought a TBSS with full bolt ons. It ran like crap after the first mail order tune, sent out the PCM again and it was re tuned and supposedly fixed. The truck continued to idle rough, stumble and surge at idle. It would then die while going in reverse or drive at certain times. The tuner said the same thing, let the computer learn the tune. After 1000 miles there was no change. He went and had it street tuned and the fuel and air trim tables, shift points, and timing had to be changed. The computer learned the tune right after it was finished and no more problems. I dont believe the whole let it learn thing. The computer will do what you tell it to do period.

While I do agree with you on the whole in person tune is better than mail order, zippy has been around for a long time, and has tuned nearly every set up imaginable. He has been tuning EFI, since EFI came about. But that is not here nor there, however you do need to posting what you think are facts. Case in point what I highlighted in red, The Gen 3+ PCMs are all learing PCMs. they are not the same as yesteryear's PCMs that had no learning capabilities. So, yes there is a learning curve that a pcm needs to go trough, and it will need to do it after every flash. The closer to stock a set up is, the less learning it will do, depending on the tuner, and wear and tear of an engine, more learning will be needed. Most tuner know how to compensate for this to speed up the process. Then there are the rare cases that need more than expected due to outside reasons. This is where in person or logging is crucial

well the TB was filthy, i cleaned it as well as the MAF and as far as i could get my hand in the intake. it idles in drive now but its still acting really weird. the converter doesnt lock up only when i first start driving then it wont go into lock up again, its got plenty of fluid and ive checked everything i can think of. when i come to a stop it drops real low the revs up then does it a few more times then either just dies or idles fine.. its surging pretty bad. other than the idle and lock up problems, it runs like an animal. it really screams with those 6500 rpm shifts! im thinking the problem is either in the tune or fuel pump.. or the injectors could just be really dirty theyre used and im not sure how long they sat up. any suggestions?