Akuza Rims - Offest/Tires Questions

Stitches040

My truck came with a set of Akuza rims when I bought it. I don't know if some of their rims are better than others but the ones I had were junk. The chrome was all pitted, corroded and flaking off. This was a Florida truck so it never saw winters. Looks aside, the worst part about them was they would not hold a balance. I can't remember how many times I had them balanced. They would ride okay for a few weeks but then would get out of balance and cause a shake/shimmy in the truck. I found a set of factory SSS wheels on Craigslist, dumped the Akuza's and have been happy since. I think they were Akuza Bounce rims.

I am just curious, here.

Hard to imagine a metal wheel changing shape or balance points from week to week. I would tend to suspect tires causing this problem before wheels. (Unless you had a problem with the wheels shedding weights).

Did you put the same tires on the stock wheels you got off of Craigslist or change tires at the same time?

I live on the water, (Salt), and powder coated rims are all that will hold up, here. We have plenty of on-shore wind carrying salt and it eats chrome, painted, and aluminum wheels quickly. (Plenty of salt water around Florida. Just sayin')

I am just curious, here.

Hard to imagine a metal wheel changing shape or balance points from week to week. I would tend to suspect tires causing this problem before wheels. (Unless you had a problem with the wheels shedding weights).

Did you put the same tires on the stock wheels you got off of Craigslist or change tires at the same time?

I live on the water, (Salt), and powder coated rims are all that will hold up, here. We have plenty of on-shore wind carrying salt and it eats chrome, painted, and aluminum wheels quickly. (Plenty of salt water around Florida. Just sayin')

I understand and agree about the wheels changing their shape/weight. It could have been the tires, they were almost brand new when I bought the truck and were the factory brand/size (goodyear Eagle LS-2). The wheel/tire combination just wouldn't stay balanced. The used SSS that replaced the aftermarket wheels had the same tires (brand and size) but were about 50% worn. As soon as I switched wheels/tires, the shimmy/shake I had went away and never came back. The aftermarket wheels were also much heavier than the factory wheels. The dealership never had a problem getting them into balance, they just wouldn't hold the balance.

I'm not saying Akuza doesn't make a good product, I just had a bad experience with them. The centercaps on my wheels were plastic which got brittle and cracked.

I understand and agree about the wheels changing their shape/weight. It could have been the tires, they were almost brand new when I bought the truck and were the factory brand/size (goodyear Eagle LS-2). The wheel/tire combination just wouldn't stay balanced. The used SSS that replaced the aftermarket wheels had the same tires (brand and size) but were about 50% worn. As soon as I switched wheels/tires, the shimmy/shake I had went away and never came back. The aftermarket wheels were also much heavier than the factory wheels. The dealership never had a problem getting them into balance, they just wouldn't hold the balance.

I'm not saying Akuza doesn't make a good product, I just had a bad experience with them. The centercaps on my wheels were plastic which got brittle and cracked.

Thanks for the comeback. Strange problem, but fixed is good. :thumbsup: