03 awd ss tranny died......

I would recommend finding a local (good) shop to do it they can put all the updates in it and beef it up. I've never heard anything good about a Trans you buy off line lol. Not to say you can find a good one but I never would go that way.

What facts do you have to justify this statement?

I have seen more jacked up trans from "local" shops more than "off line" stuff. I cant count how many PM's I have got with questions from when Billy Bobs trans shop built a trans for someone and has already had a premature failure. Not all "local" shops know of current updates or the details it takes to build a performance trans. Its not just slapping in a bunch of parts that are "upgraded" such as an aftermarket servo, a billet sunshell, and/or changing out clutches to something they say are the best yet I see the same ones wont last 1 pass in most applications.... isnt putting together a built trans.

Even though the user above might not have had a good experience with FLT, we dont know the whole story and this is a one sided story. FLT is a very successful company that puts out outstanding products. Yes you will pay a good penny for it, but you are paying for a good product.

On the other hand, these are transmissions and if you havent ever been inside one let alone built one you cant sit here and tell me what it takes to build one. With great power these LS engines make plus some of the power adders we put on, then add the weight of these heavy trucks there is gonna be a failure at some point no matter who builds it.

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

There are good local trans builders out there, you just have to find them. I was lucky and found one last year....

Although this is correct, it is more times than not you see " I had a reputable builder in my area build my trans with everything you can think of and now it is doing this or that".....which really their term for "everything you can think of" is a servo, hardened sunshell, and aftermarket clutches in the 3/4 which werent even set up right.

If you choose a local builder, choose wisely.

What facts do you have to justify this statement?

I have seen more jacked up trans from "local" shops more than "off line" stuff. I cant count how many PM's I have got with questions from when Billy Bobs trans shop built a trans for someone and has already had a premature failure. Not all "local" shops know of current updates or the details it takes to build a performance trans. Its not just slapping in a bunch of parts that are "upgraded" such as an aftermarket servo, a billet sunshell, and/or changing out clutches to something they say are the best yet I see the same ones wont last 1 pass in most applications.... isnt putting together a built trans.

Even though the user above might not have had a good experience with FLT, we dont know the whole story and this is a one sided story. FLT is a very successful company that puts out outstanding products. Yes you will pay a good penny for it, but you are paying for a good product.

On the other hand, these are transmissions and if you havent ever been inside one let alone built one you cant sit here and tell me what it takes to build one. With great power these LS engines make plus some of the power adders we put on, then add the weight of these heavy trucks there is gonna be a failure at some point no matter who builds it.

The proof is I have seen and heard of countless guys buying a Trans offline and has had problems with them. I never said flt or whatever it is called is bad. Obviously anyone with common sense knows there's a lot of factors that play into that. Does that guy drive like a A hole and do neutral drops and stuff like that? And then they say oh that Trans I bought from so an so website is a piece of crap! Well duh your doing natural drop u dummy. You never hear the whole story. Anyway my uncle owns a Trans shop and is well aware of how to build a performance Trans. Like I said find a (good) Trans shop that build performance Trans. That's all I'm saying.

Although this is correct, it is more times than not you see " I had a reputable builder in my area build my trans with everything you can think of and now it is doing this or that".....which really their term for "everything you can think of" is a servo, hardened sunshell, and aftermarket clutches in the 3/4 which werent even set up right.

If you choose a local builder, choose wisely.

Agreed. To me, it says something when a builder brings you into his shop and physically walks you through every step of the build, it shows that he has nothing to hide. Good builders are out there........