03 awd ss tranny died......

Well first off just getting everything together for it wasn't very appealing to me, driveshafts, a decent used tranny, new TC, wiring, cross member modification, etc.. And the 4l80 has different gear ratios than the 65e that I didn't like. And i'm fairly certain I read somewhere that the parasitic loss is more with an 80e and they weigh more.

A built 65 just seemed easier to me. Now if I was building a race truck then it would be a built 80e hands down.

Well first off just getting everything together for it wasn't very appealing to me, driveshafts, a decent used tranny, new TC, wiring, cross member modification, etc.. And the 4l80 has different gear ratios than the 65e that I didn't like. And i'm fairly certain I read somewhere that the parasitic loss is more with an 80e and they weigh more.

A built 65 just seemed easier to me. Now if I was building a race truck then it would be a built 80e hands down.

Thanks for the comeback Nick.

I had heard about the gear ratio differences before, and I agree with you on it taking some effort to gather up all the parts.

I am going with a built up 65, too, as I don't see myself developing the horsepower that would stress the 65 quickly.

I was just curious as to your thoughts. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Could you be a little mote specific? What wend wrong, etc...

Sent from my 4G Razor

first tranny, blew apart at 4 months... 2nd tranny blew apart 4 months after that.. 3rd tranny blew up a year after that, and i had to pay another 1700 to get it fixed, and upgraded one level. that lasted a year and a half.. got it rebuilt by a local guy with a 3 yr warranty on it. ... that was a year ago and zero issues. my first tranny leaked constantly from the time i got it, until i spent over $900 at shops for R&R's, new pans, new gaskets, etc.. only to find out it was a loose bolt in the tranny test port above the PRNDL switch.. i could not believe it when i saw it..

oh btw, i had nothing but bolt ons and a mild tune.. nothing really done to the tune, or the truck.

my breakage was 1) input shaft snapped in half in walmart's parking lot 2) out put shaft snapped in half, taking the rest of the tranny on an on ramp doing 30 mph, last time it broke, i lost O.D. for no reason..meaning i wasnt going fast.. maybe just got on the hwy IIRC..

I would recommend finding a local (good) shop to do it they can put all the updates in it and beef it up. I've never heard anything good about a Trans you buy off line lol. Not to say you can find a good one but I never would go that way.