VOLANT might be history

SSAlaska

I think its funny that all of a sudden (after the CHP research) that everyone is anti-volant... there was a time a couple of months ago where the volant was widely accepted as one of the mods you HAD TO DO. :dunno:

Everyone needs to stop comparing FI to NA... its apples and oranges... not the same thing. FI creates a number of variables that make some mods less effective... so unless your gonna SC your truck an intake is going to benefit your numbers.  :smash:

I hate to say it but alot of you guys flip/flop like politicians!  :nono: A lot of the volant bashers ( I won't name anyone in particular ) were EXTREMELY pro-intake pre-CHP-article. :sigh:

I don't think it's flip-flopping (a la John Kerry har har), just imperical evidence. We need to see more independent testing of these aftermarket products, not just rely on the SOTP wishful thinking of new mod owners. Dyno and quarter mile results carry more weight than you or I saying throttle response "feels" better with a CAI setup for which we just spent $300 plus. Changes in fuel economy are interesting to hear about because they should indicate better efficiency. :seeya:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The flip-flopping happened with the UPD intakes too. Not here, but other sites.

I got one... kinda like it for a bit, but then everyones started cracking. They went from very popular... to a period of complete silence... to the negative-feedback you hear now.

I was pro-intake until I started modding a stock airbox a while back.

The flip-flopping happened with the UPD intakes too.  Not here, but other sites.

I got one... kinda like it for a bit, but then everyones started cracking.  They went from very popular... to a period of complete silence... to the negative-feedback you hear now.

I was pro-intake until I started modding a stock airbox a while back.

This kind of cycle will continue to happen as long as people believe you can get something for nothing, and that GM engineers are leaving something significant on the table as far as power and efficiency. They're not. It's in GM's best interest to get every ounce of power and efficiency they can. They have CAFE standards to comply with, and every MPG/HP they can eek out of their vehicles is better for them.

Together with the old adage, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is..." the realization that you can't get something for nothing should really be considered before making any purchase. The most recent and egregious example of exaggeration in the world of aftermarket product claims are from Vararam, which are patently absurd. Watch the King Cobra go the way of the UPD intake (as you described above) very quickly.

There is one large area of potential benefit, and that is in the area of tuning. Reason being, all vehicles have different characteristics in their component interaction (fuel, air, electric, mechanical), yet all vehicles of the same model have the same exact tune. This stock tune is by definition pretty conservative to ensure there is no detonation in ANY of the models that roll off the assembly line (especially those running a little lean), and as a result, the stock tune is often too rich. Their is potential efficiency and power to be gained from leaning this richness out via a custom tune.

The engineers might not leave an abundance of HP and Torque on the table, but they due have to compromise on things. Those things being comfort and a somewhat quiet cabin for the driver. So straight pipes are not going to be seen on a production SS, but they will flow better than the exhaust from the factory. But as we all know, there are trade offs. If you don't mind a loud intake or exhaust, you can probably find one that will out perform the stock set up. How much is the question, and is the $ to HP/TQ ratio worth the cost.

I like louder than stock exhaust and look for a very specific type of sound, so it is not all about how much will it produce on a dyno or at the track. I enjoy the sound. It's the simple things in life..... :D

I have AIRAID  CAI, when I first got it I did notice the difference in better response of the line. And now that I have the ram air hood over it is even better :ughdance: . No complaints here. :thumbs:

did you get the whole kit? like intake pipe and the filter?

i'm thinking of gettin one also...hows the sound and MPG? any increase in mpg?

I have absolutely nothing to gain by building up the Volant system.... but I'll say this. If you test the difference of just the filter element alone, you will find that the oiled gauze and wire mesh filters flow considerably better than the stock paper elements. Even when dirty, the gauze and mesh outflow the paper one.

Then you build a larger diameter air supply tube, which is by the way, insulated from the underhood temps, and enclose the box to keep out the underhood temps, then port the bottom opening to a pressurized supply of air which is proven to contain more oxygen, thus making more power, what exactly is the complaint?

Call Hot Rod magazine, Chevy Power, Gale Banks Engineering, and any drag racer or circle track racer out there, they'll tell you to get as much cool air as you can into the air inlet and match it to an ample supply of fuel and you'll make power.

That simple.

It doen's matter if it's a K&N, Volant, Air Hog or what ever, they outflow stock paper elements.

I'm sure you were expecting a noticeable difference, right... something like adding a 150 shot of nitrous oxide! BS, all power adders except turbos, blowers, and NOS, are very subtle. The effects are felt when matched to a complete improvement program. A Volant box will not make you truck drop 2 seconds off your 1/4 mile times, but it will help!

:cheers:

I have AIRAID  CAI, when I first got it I did notice the difference in better response of the line. And now that I have the ram air hood over it is even better :ughdance: . No complaints here. :thumbs:

did you get the whole kit? like intake pipe and the filter?

i'm thinking of gettin one also...hows the sound and MPG? any increase in mpg?

Yup!, I got the intake first, and then later on I bought the tube. All toghether It came to $299.00 on ebay :thumbs: MPG a little improvement maybe .5 more not much, but it gave me a lot better response from take off specially after the tune from Bryan. I just got my JBA shorties installed today. what a difference, they say shorties are a waste I notice quite a bit more response @ low end but I noticed it better @ WOT :ughdance:

:seeya:

I love the mods and all but as an Engineer for a truck company we spend alot of time makeing sure every thing works together.. Yes I know we are handcuffed by the EPA but for a daily driver I tend to keep to stock. Besides it is fast enough for the speed limits here!! :chevy: God I am sounding old. Forget I said anything!!!

I love the mods and all but as an Engineer for a truck company we spend alot of time makeing sure every thing works together..  Yes I know we are handcuffed by the EPA but for a daily driver I tend to keep to stock.  Besides it is fast enough for the speed limits here!!  :chevy:  God I am sounding old.  Forget I said anything!!!

Not at all old.... that's a very respectable decision. I agree with the effort of the engineers trying to make everything work together. Mild mods are OK, but to take a new vehicle and butcher it up with a mix match of aftermarket goodies is pretty risky to me.

Intake, headers, tune and cold air intake are about all I would ever do. Mainly because that's all I can afford :nonod:

hey SSalaska,

when you pulled the lid off....did it make more power than with it on? is it pulling air from the engine bay when it does that or from both outside and inside?

i'm thinking of going with the AEM Brute force kit instead of the volant :chevy:

Hard to say if the lid would make a difference. The box isn't pressurized b/c of the hole on the side that draws air from the fender, but I would think the lid serves to keep the hot air from the engine from mixing w/ the cooler outside air... i dunno... seems like a good idea??? Maybe I'll fab up a new lid w/ wire mesh and see what happens... it'll at least look cool. :thumbs:

Archived