VOLANT might be history

SSAlaska

Let me start by saying all the reviews about the Volant directed me to it. However, I have seen no milage gains, It did feel abit stronger, And I WAS very happy. :ughdance: Well today I had a thaught, I figured the average weather now is in the 40's, So why not remove the lid. Now let me tell you I felt a HUGE differnce. Much more power in all aspects low end and top end.

After driving around and playing a bit, I came home popped the hood and looked in the Volant air box. The large hole in the side of the box goes no where, Like looking out a large window facing a wall. :shakehead: It just spells restriction, Not to mention I dont have the ram air hole closed its wide open (That should allow more air in right). :dunno:

Now I am thinking of dumping the Volant, For something else. :shakehead:

I understand the whole cold air consept (Colder thicker air more oxygen), But what I am thinking is more air maybe not as cool could be better. :dunno: Think about this one, people port their TB, run straighter tubes, descreen MAF's all to achieve smoother flow=more air. Does the temp. make a bigger differance then volume. There is no way IMHO that the Volant box with or with out the ram air could pull more air then a high quality open element cone filter. Granted it wont be as cool but there will definitly be more.

Tell me what you guys think.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me start by saying all the reviews about the Volant directed me to it. However, I have seen no milage gains, It did feel abit stronger, And I WAS very happy. :ughdance:  Well today I had a thaught, I figured the average weather now is in the 40's, So why not remove the lid. Now let me tell you I felt a HUGE differnce. Much more power in all aspects low end and top end.

After driving around and playing a bit, I came home popped the hood and looked in the Volant air box. The large hole in the side of the box goes no where, Like looking out a large window facing a wall. :shakehead:  It just spells restriction, Not to mention I dont have the ram air hole closed its wide open (That should allow more air in right). :dunno:

Now I am thinking of dumping the Volant, For something else. :shakehead:

I understand the whole cold air consept (Colder thicker air more oxygen), But what I am thinking is more air maybe not as cool could be better. :dunno:  Think about this one, people port their TB, run straighter tubes, descreen MAF's all to achieve smoother flow=more air. Does the temp. make a bigger differance then volume. There is no way IMHO that the Volant box with or with out the ram air could pull more air then a high quality open element cone filter. Granted it wont be as cool but there will definitly be more.

Tell me what you guys think.

I think the stock air box does a remarkable job. Over the years GM engineers have done a great job reengineering the restrictive areas (intake, exhaust, etc.) to the point that they are really not restrictive anymore. This leaves less potential for the aftermarket to chase after, but the aftermarket will not tell you that there is little improvement to be had from their products. On the contrary, they will tell you there is more.

When the place that installed my Radix (a Volant dealer) recommended to me not to get the Volant - that if I wanted more air to just take a hole saw and drill a hole in the bottom of the stock air box - that said a lot. Then when Vararam comes out with a product that they claim to improve gas mileage by 2-3 mpg and 0-60 times by 1.4 sec, I have to snicker. There is just no way. GM is doing whatever they can to get their CAFE numbers up, so if there was 2-3 (or even 1) mpg to be had, they would be getting it already.

So that's what I think. Do some searches here and on LS1Tech for the Volant and see what people are saying. Read the review about the Volant here from Chevy High Performance. I think all the evidence is out there.

I'm gonna have to disagree on this one. I don't dispute that the stock air box is extremely well designed and does its job well, but when you 'dumb' down the physics of it a little the Volant (and most CAI) do a better job of getting more air into the system.

Basic HP principles: you get a free flowing exhaust to get spent gases out faster/smoother. The reverse applies on the intake side... more air in, preferably colder air, it all helps the engine to "breathe better".

The better mileage thing has always made me laugh. I personally have never purchased a CAI for improved mileage... i got it cuz I want better perfromance.

To each their own, and this is all just my opinion. I just think that when you improve the amount of air & the temp. of the air you can't go wrong. :thumbs:

Chevy High Performance didn't get good results with the Volant (on their SSS FI application), and apparently there is a new, larger Volant box on the way for our trucks. In their testing power was actually lost switching out the stock unit for the Volant.

I agree with Naked AV. I am just running the stock box with a K&N filter to replace the rather thick, dense and restrictive-looking stock paper one. That's where the most restriction is likely to be. The factory box looks like a pretty good design to me, w/o a lot of baffles and other possible impedences to air flow. The stock box is still gonna stay when I get my Radix on.

Do you really think an aftermarket box with an unsealed cold air tube is going to add much HP? It would be nice to think so, but I think all of our SOTP "butt-o-meters" are a little optimistic on the gains from such mods. :shakehead:

I had a crazy idea :crazy:. What if I were to install a small fan 6-8 in., in the location where the steel plate is that the factory air box sits on. Wire it to run all the time, And install something like a AEM. The AEM seals off pretty well with the heat shield, If a small fan was blowing air from under the bumper it would maintain a positive pressure forcing hot air out of the filter compartment. Then you would have a constant supply of fresh cool air, and the open filter consept to provide less restrcition. Basiclly you are elminating all of the ducting, And bringing the cold air to the filter instead of making the intake sytem get the cold air. I know this sounds crazy but just a thaught. Opinions?????

I had a crazy idea  :crazy:.  What if I were to install a small fan 6-8 in., in the location where the steel plate is that the factory air box sits on. Wire it to run all the time, And install something like a AEM. The AEM seals off pretty well with the heat shield, If a small fan was blowing air from under the bumper it would maintain a positive pressure forcing hot air out of the filter compartment.  Then you would have a constant supply of fresh cool air, and the open filter consept to provide less restrcition. Basiclly you are elminating all of the ducting, And bringing the cold air to the filter instead of making the intake sytem get the cold air.  I know this sounds crazy but just a thaught. Opinions?????

Sounds like someone wants to make their own supercharger.... :ughdance:

I have the Volant box and ram air tube, and I am personally very happy with it. From the time I put it on, I have seen an increase of about 3 MPG on the highway. I was also very happy to hear an difference from the engine compartment when I accelerate, and I can even feel a difference at take off. Overall, I am fairly satisfied with the Volant system...I like it! :D

I had a crazy idea  :crazy:.  What if I were to install a small fan 6-8 in., in the location where the steel plate is that the factory air box sits on. Wire it to run all the time, And install something like a AEM. The AEM seals off pretty well with the heat shield, If a small fan was blowing air from under the bumper it would maintain a positive pressure forcing hot air out of the filter compartment.  Then you would have a constant supply of fresh cool air, and the open filter consept to provide less restrcition. Basiclly you are elminating all of the ducting, And bringing the cold air to the filter instead of making the intake sytem get the cold air.  I know this sounds crazy but just a thaught. Opinions?????

No, Not really. I am just trying to think out of the box, No pun intended. Why not bring the cool air to the filter? I am really happy with the cold air qualities of the volant, However I am disappointed with the restriction. Am I being clear about my idea?

I had a crazy idea  :crazy:.  What if I were to install a small fan 6-8 in., in the location where the steel plate is that the factory air box sits on.

You could just buy one, the seem to be popular with the ricer crowd...

EBAY ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER

Just don't blame me for the results and the snickers. :crackup::jester:

By the way, I think the factory air box setup is done rather well too. The only comprimises GM makes are for noise control. So there might be some extra efficecy out there, at the expense of intake noise, but not much.

I think the best intake system is a Radix :thumbs::D

No, Not really. I am just trying to think out of the box, No pun intended. Why not bring the cool air to the filter? I am really happy with the cold air qualities of the volant, However I am disappointed with the restriction. Am I being clear about my idea?

Well, I would look at it this way - if you used a fan, it would turn at a certain RPM. At this RPM at let's say, idle, the fan might be pushing more air inward than is being required by the motor, but I think that eventually and rather quickly (1500 RPMs? 2500 RPMs perhaps?), the requirements of the motor would quickly overcome the capacity of the fan to supply air, and you would have a barrier to intake air, rather than an enabler. So I don't think your idea would work.

Archived