VOLANT might be history

SSAlaska

hey SSalaska,

when you pulled the lid off....did it make more power than with it on?  is it pulling air from the engine bay when it does that or from both outside and inside?

i'm thinking of going with the AEM Brute force kit instead of the volant :chevy:

Yes, It did. But the weather here is very cold. I recently made ram air for it, That works awesome. :driving::thumbs:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey SSalaska,

do u think sometime when u are free, i could hear what the volant sounds like?

No problem, This weekend if the weather holds IBCNYA and I, Are going to cruise. I think I might end up installing his Volant as well. You should join us, And bring any other SS owners you know. :flag:

When I started this thread, It was because I noticed the Volant box with out the lid gave me better performance. Now there is some proof, I am totally lost now. I made my ram air and I thaught I felt a change for the better. But I think I am going to try her out with out the lid. :dunno: Granted, I will not have the pressure in the box at higher speeds. If you read the quote, Evandonstert states his 1/4 mile times and highway times were both improved. Could we all have been :dupe::dunno: . Sorry to start this up again. :banghead::flag:

I did not have the time to work on the truck.  One of the ground wires came loose on the nos noid.  It was a fun time though.  Bracket racing was new to me.  I was happy to make it into the second round.    I hope to go up one more time before the closing.    I don't know about the volant controversy but I do know that both the g-tech and the dragway have shown that.  It is faster with the lid off.    I am thinking of dumping the box and just running an open filter.    0.2 off my 1/4 mile on the track and 0.3 off it on the highway with the g-tech.    14.74  was my best time...

The side air hole is supposed to be there, don't block it off. It acts as a vacuum break. In the event the front end should become submerged in water, the hole will allow air in and it won't suck water into the intake.

As to the flip-flopping after the CHP article, it looks like Volant is doing some too. Forgive me if this is "welcome to last week" news, but has everyone heard that the company is coming out with an improved airbox setup? There was a release from the company quoted over on LS1Tech.com (hope I'm not breaking any rules) at

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223789

The bottom line is they know they can do better than the current setup and it looks like they are trying to make things good with owners of the old unit.

Just for whatever it's worth. :uhoh:

Glad to see that Volant is staying on top by listening to the customers who buy their products! That's always a victory for the automotive enthusiast.

Bear in mind that they are referring to the 5.3 V8 system, not the 6.0 in the SS. Plus the only complaints seem to be with the supercharged trucks running the Volant box.

I only have two complaints about mine, the air tube is a tight fit to the throttle body and the ram air tube protrudes into the fenderwell just enough to make the tire rub it when turning hard left.

Again, I will state, that the cold air intake is only a small part in a performance package. Every small mod helps, but individually, the gains are small on each of these bolt on mods. I doubt that I even noticed the gains of the Volant system on it's own. Other than the sound difference, that is.

:dunno:

I wrote this letter to Volant.

Mr. Quezada,

I am writing you in response to a post I read on LS1tech.com, I am sure by now you are framilar with it (. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223789 ). I purchased the Volant 15953 kit for my 2004 Silverado SS from Tbryne Motorsports in August 2004. A little off topic, But I must say you should be proud to have TBryne Motorsports as a dealer for your product, Awesome customer service.

Now I am sure you have recieved many complaints about this Cold Air Intake kit from others. I have had little to no success seeing any gains from this product. It was installed per your directions, I have even attempted to use your ram air kit with little if any improvement in performance. The only way I have seen any improvement is when I remove the lid completly from the air box. If you are having issues with the air flow on the 5.3 L motor, I honestly cannot belive that there are not issues with the 6.0 L motor. Supposedly there is going to be a new Volant System for the Silverado SS, Why is it not posted on your website. In a sense I feel cheated if it is true that a new system is being designed for the Silverado SS. I would have rather waited for a product specifically built for my engine then a substitute. Are there any improvements going to be made to the system I have purchased? If so I would be more then happy to try them.

The over all quality of your Volant kit is great, I am very satisifed with it. However, I am disappointed with the performance gains.

Wonder if I am even going to get a response? :dunno:

I wrote this letter to Volant.

Mr. Quezada,

I am writing you in response to a post I read on LS1tech.com, I am sure by now you are framilar with it (.  http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223789 ). I purchased the Volant 15953 kit for my 2004 Silverado SS from Tbryne Motorsports in August 2004. A little off topic, But I must say you should be proud to have TBryne Motorsports as a dealer for your product, Awesome customer service.

Now I am sure you have recieved many complaints about this Cold Air Intake kit from others. I have had little to no success seeing any gains from this product. It was installed per your directions, I have even attempted to use your ram air kit with little if any improvement in performance. The only way I have seen any improvement is when I remove the lid completly from the air box.  If you are having issues with the air flow on the 5.3 L motor, I honestly cannot belive that there are not issues with the 6.0 L motor.  Supposedly there is going to be a new Volant System for the Silverado SS, Why is it not posted on your website. In a sense I feel cheated if it is true that a new system is being designed for the Silverado SS. I would have rather waited for a product specifically built for my engine then a substitute. Are there any improvements going to be made to the system I have purchased? If so I would be more then happy to try them.

The over all quality of your Volant kit is great, I am very satisifed with it. However, I am disappointed with the performance gains.

Wonder if I am even going to get a response? :dunno:

You should make it a petition signed by all the members who have the same issues. Then they would see how much the words gotten around an may actually do something. :smash:

Yes, there is power in numbers.... but you will probably be requested to display a before and after dyno graph. If you're going to complain, better be armed witih a paper trail. Otherwise all of your efforts will end in no satisfaction, and leave a bitter taste in Volants mouth over the whole ordeal. Facts are required to get a specialty company to change or re-invent anything.

By the way, my Volant did pretty much what I expected it to, not saying there isn't room for improvement.

Saying I didn't notice any improvement isn't good enough... they'll just give you a BS excuse something like you aren't armed with keen enough senses to notice the improvement.

Don't give them an easy way out when you go at them!

Archived