I need 7,000 out of a 6,000 Tach...

GEAR M UP

Jeff,

If you get to 7k rpms and your tranny doesn't grenade, please let us know.  That's f-body shifting there.  I've heard in the past that strokers don't like 6k+ rpms.   I have mine shifting at 6200, but do plan on possible cutting it back.    If I loose a little power from it, oh well.

I talked to Chris @ APE about this and with good heads / cam combo, Chris says you can spin a 408 as high as you want to with the Callies / diamond setup. He spun his shop truck up to 7k (and then lost the stock tranny on the way home...)

He spun his shop truck up to 7k (and then lost the stock tranny on the way home...)

Exactly. Its not about how fast you can safely spin the motor. The stock A4 tranny is only rated for 5600rpms in a truck, and maybe 6000 in a lighter car. I know many of us are spinning them faster. But, I think almost any version of the 4L6xE will have problems spinning much more than 6000-6200. The hydraulic circuits and clutch packs are just not designed to work that fast. I know some cars get away with it, but they are lighter...

zippy or any tranny experts feel free to correct me.

Manual trannies are immune to this problem because the gear shifting is mechanical and the trans is disconnected when the clutch is used. Of course, fried clutch plates are a different issue. :ughdance:

right from the factory, the C6 and the Colorado are spinning well past 6k. for many years this trans had a problem with internal weight and pump line rise issue's. most of that has been fixed now. honestly i'd say just let'r twist, the worst you will do is burn a set of clutches most likely. i think it will handle 6500-6700 ok, but failure will come sooner.

Consideration for spinning at 6200 or below is not a consideration of my motor. I have some concern over spinning my tranny that much. A lot of trannys fail from spinning too fast, or at least start having problems.

I know it (tranny) can handle 6200 pretty easy and will probably stay there. At least until someone comes with a solid solution for the 4L80 for the SS. If that will ever be possible.

What I talked about with spinning a stroker motor that much, is just what I have heard from various people throughout the years. The main thing was always that you didn't need to spin a stroker that much to reach it's power peak. Yes, traditionalists believe you have to with the bigger cams, but they all say that strokers like the longer durations. Don't shoot the messenger, just relaying bits of things I've heard over the last couple of years to the last couple of months.

Consideration for spinning at 6200 or below is not a consideration of my motor.  I have some concern over spinning my tranny that much.  A lot of trannys fail from spinning too fast, or at least start having problems.

I know it (tranny) can handle 6200 pretty easy and will probably stay there.  At least until someone comes with a solid solution for the 4L80 for the SS.  If that will ever be possible.

What I talked about with spinning a stroker motor that much, is just what I have heard from various people throughout the years.  The main thing was always that you didn't need to spin a stroker that much to reach it's power peak.  Yes, traditionalists believe you have to with the bigger cams, but they all say that strokers like the longer durations.  Don't shoot the messenger, just relaying bits of things I've heard over the last couple of years to the last couple of months.

I didn't mean to be agrumentative :dunno: I was just passing on what Chris said :D

Archived